Math HL P1

Nishad Potdar

Alright, so all of you bravehearts- how was it? I solved all IB Math HL past papers for the new syllabus (from May 2008), and I found this years paper 1 to be the toughest of the lot! (TZ 2 here)... What are your thoughts? Expecting a sub 85 grade boundary for a 7 in paper 1?

Was everyone as amazed :blink: at the questions as I was. I mean I thought I had prepared moderately well in terms of past exam questions in addition to about 180 pages (A4) of hand-written general technique practice for all the topics, but I still only managed to completely answer only about 5 questions in section A and then a few partial answers and then completely answered the first question from Section B, which was decent and then partially answered on the other two. I'm guessing I'll get around 40-50 points or so I'm looking at a 3-4 for P1, which I tried to better today in P2. I think my IA might help raise my final grade a fair bit too.

So how did everyone else feel about it? :yes:

Edited by ocfx

How did the Math HL Paper 1 TZ2 go for you guys? (It's been 24 hours). I thought it was really hard, and I'm scared I'm actually going to get a 3 or 2 in mathematics. Doesn't that mean I failed? What are the requirements for failing the IB and passing the IB? I heard that if you get a 3 in a HL class, you fail. However, I've also heard that even if you get a 1 in a HL class, as long as you get a 12 for your HL Total you will pass the IB.

For you TZ1 peeps, how was it?

Discuss!

The moderators put together this thread from separate threads that all the people above had tried to make. So it seems a bit like we're talking past each other there :rolleyes:

Edited by ocfx

Quite a difficult one. Few 'easy' points to get in section b, as the questions were not 'standard' ones. Also quite a lot of drawing.

I guess the mark boundaries should be about as low as last year (71+ for a 6, 82+ for a 7). Or, should I say 'hope', as I expect a score of around 80...

Guest ibsrvvl

Finally, 24 hours are up. How did it go? I found it extremely difficult, definitely more so than the mocks we did. Hoping for low boundaries this year, like last year.

So, how did everyone's Math HL Paper 1 go?

I was TZ2 and I thought the paper was extremely lengthy. I left close to 10 marks. Section A was fairly doable except 2 sums. Section B, the last part is where I messed up and also didn't have time to do.

Expecting a 6.

Definitely a hard paper, no doubt about it. There were many "unconventional" questions, a lot of functions and trigonometry. As everyone here seems to agree it was a rather difficult paper, the grade boundaries will probably be lowered. I'm guessing we need ~75-80 for a 7.

I'm expecting 65-70, hopefully the grade boundaries will be lower. I found it on par with May 2009 in terms of difficulty (which was very difficult!). Am I the only one who ran short of time though? I missed out on answering a whole 20 mark question since I had left it for the end (big mistake). But then it could just be me because I wasted a lot of time on the harder questions which weren't worth the time.

It was absolutely terrible! It was like no other paper for this syllabus. I left at least 2 tasks from section A, and am not sure of what else I did in this section. Section B was a bit better (more forseeable), but still very hard. :/

I assumed to write this paper for at least 5... now I hope to get a 4 :(

It was hard. But doable. With more practice and learning... Oh who am I fooling... But still it was doable. I had fun with the 13th. I did the first point at the end XD. But those God forsaken Hypergeometric equations ! I calculated it, with errors I think, in more than 10 minutes... I had hoped for an overall 5, but with this... Well God help me on P3 (P2 done, but no discussion).

I remember the 13th.

Factorize z^3 + 1 to a linear and quadratic factor.

Then if y = (1+sqrt(3))/2

Prove that y (well it was gamma but at first I wrote all y) is a cubic root of -1.

Show that y^2 = y-1

Calculate (1-y)^6

Then there was a matrix 2x2, 1 row y 1-y (?) ; 2 row 0 1/y

Show that A^3 = -I

Show that (the one I hadn't made, 'cause I thought it was 3x3 XD) A^-1 = ... Goddamnit I forgot...

Edited by Leinad-s
  • Like 1

does anyone remember the questions?

Yeah, I remember some especially the ones that really bothered me. There was that question about the argand diagram and the graph of y=1/fx and y=xfx that I found very difficult.

I skipped the xf(x) one