Are IB students clique-y at your school?

Well we IBs are together all the time, and have our own inside jokes... but we're still friends with a lot of the non IBs. Especially the dropouts! :)

Wow are we from the same school? :P That's pretty much how it is at my school too. The IB bunch at my school is for the most part quite friendly and tends to hang around together. Naturally we stick around other IBers but have non-IB friends too. I have to admit that the IB dropouts are some of the coolest people to be around XD I love them but unfortunately I don't see them as often anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

A majority of the DP kids at my school came from the same middle school, the same IBMYP program, so we tend to be our own clique to this day. The current count for the DP program for 2012 is around 25, we are our own clique as well, we all have the same classes except for our electives. We have our maths at the same time, right next to each other same goes for our sciences. We all have friends that breach the IB group, we can all intermix I guess you could say. When it comes down to it though we all stick quite close together all of the time (most likely because we tend to gravitate towards each other, whether we want to or not)

Everybody is really good friends at my school, but I guess that might be because (in comparison to other schools in Australia) we only have a cohort of 78. There are a few cliques and whatnot, but everybody knows that they can participate and converse with anybody else in the grade and they will be nice to them :) Which is good. We have a lot of Asian students in our school, and they tend to stick together quite a bit, but that's really it. We don't really have a popularity ladder either :P

• 2 months later...

My french teacher tells me that my cohort is a small town. That being said, I agree. Depending on the size of it, IB kids can be in families or not. The thing is, we are almost all on pretty good terms with each other but when we hang out, it is usually with the same group of students in a consistent manner. O.o compared to you guys, my cohort is quite small; we have about 45 people.

A lot of us still hate IB, a lot of us don't want to do it. But I guess there is some sense of pride for getting this far. As for me, I don't really feel "belonged" anywhere. I try to hang out with a everyone, including students that use to be in my classes in electives, and the IB-drops.

Edited by Pickles

Wow, in my school it's exactly the same... except that there's only about 15 of us, including pre-IB. Nobody else wants to be a nerd and study a bit more.

Kind of sad, I know, but then again the whole Argentinian education system is just sad :/

Edited by Aura

Wow, in my school it's exactly the same... except that there's only about 15 of us, including pre-IB. Nobody else wants to be a nerd and study a bit more.

Kind of sad, I know, but then again the whole Argentinian education system is just sad :/

Oh man really? 15! The first cohort is my school graduated with 6 kids lolll

I'm part of the 3rd cohort, as IB was only introduced in my school years recently. Our courses are set in HL and SL without flexibility. Yeah we tend to stick together, and I'm not liking it that much. But you really can't blame them for doing that, we have all our classes with IB students, and that really limits the types of people in which we're exposed. As a result, we go home together, talk to each other more, eat lunch together, instead of with a whole range of people.

Personally I'd rather more interaction with other people, as I'd like to keep my mind open and see things in a different perspective occasionally.

Im part of the twenty something year of IB. Since there are almost 100 students in IB and per grade (so 400) plus about 200 regulars. the school is around 1200 students. The cliques are quite obvious. I would say most IBs hang out exclusively with each other except for the select few who hang out with the regulars as well.(ze popular ones)

Its kind of sad, but the school is so large and most of the regular kids are very different. Most of the dropouts retain the same Ib friends.

Not suprising since the social is quite large and its a semi-selective school (for IB), the regulars get in no matter what though.

We all generally get along really well but can be easily separated into more manageable groups.

Theres the IB Drama kids ... the ones who generally speak out most in class, get laughs, read Macbeth aloud to the class in their overly-dramatic style.

Then we find the IB Asians . I know this sounds cold and racist, but they lump themselves together.

And of course the IB Scientists . The kids who know anything and everything about math or chemistry, etc etc, but can't pull a rockin' essay together for the life of them. Frequently ask questions in the sciences, but end up answering their own questions.

And finally, the IB Humanities babies . (I'd say I fit in nicely here) The one's who dont really give a poop about science/math (or can't do them at all -cough-ME-cough) but whip off papers and essays like theres no tomorrow. Frequently asked by the Scientists to assist on papers.

Of course theres always floaters and partials here and there, but they typically disperse ;)

check out:

www.ibthereforeiam.wordpress.com

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That kind of happens here too. I'm an IB student, and we hang out with other IBs only. We are so selective. The only class we share with nonIBs is English. However, it's mostly made up by us, since we are in CAE English level, our class is only for those with the highest proficiency in English, there are only 3 guys from the national system who are in our class, and their English is not that good, so we ignore them mostly. I think it's not good, but we share almost nothing with those non IB, they are so different to us, they never study, they laugh at us for spending our breaks reading and actually liking it, and further, commenting about our books and other geeky stuff, they call us freaks, and it's sort of true. Perhaps that's why we hang out together.

My school is clique-y but not in a traditional sense. My school does not offer "regular" education (regular being courses that aren't honors, AP or IB courses). Instead, it offers two programs: IB and a visual performing arts program (VPA) where students choose one artistic discipline. When students apply to my school, they have to choose which major they want to be in. Those in IB have more academically challenging classes while VPA majors have more arts classes. Even in middle school, most core classes had different syllabi for IB and VPA. The only times both majors end up funneling into a class was in elective courses or social studies. By high school, IB majors receive less slots for electives and VPA majors receive more classes related to their discipline. By the time full IB swings around, it's very rare for IB majors to have more than one class with a VPA major.

My school lacks traditional cliques and it's usually just circles of friends, which I think occurs at every school. Even then, groups of friends overlap because of how relaxed my school is. There are only 150-175 people for each grade in my joint middle and high school so you do end up knowing everybody in your class. There is a division between IB and VPA but I think it's because people simply become more comfortable around who they spend the most time with in class.

Within IB, the cliques are just really groups of friends. Those who take more advanced classes become better friends with the people in the class, and the same for those who aren't. However, these lines are very blurred and we end up hanging out we each other regardless. As 11th graders, we've been around most of these people for 5 years! We're family and we all bring different dynamics to it. It sounds really sappy but IB has just made us closer. :jumphug

People generally hang out with people they can relate to more, and at this point in our lives the classes we're taking is one of the major factors. Thus it would make more sense for us to hang out with people taking classes similar to us, meaning IB Diploma people or people taking IB classes. There should be exceptions of course, as CAS requires that you interact with others and your community, but that should still be the norm. It is here at least.

• 1 month later...

I feel that the IB Diploma Programme at my school secludes us from the rest of the student body, so yes- it is VERY 'clique-y'. However one of the main reasons is that our city placed IB in the lower income school to boost standardized test scores up, because many people fail at my school. It isn't that we choose to stick together because of all of our classes, it is just that it is difficult to find stimulating and intellectual conversation with people outside of our program!

at my school us IB guys keep to ourselves.... we're the 'nerds/geeks' of the school and we're proud of it! (We don't spend our holidays and weekends studying for nothing!!!!) Though we are know to skip/opt out in every school activity. (i.e athletics, cross-country, school haka, school fairs etc)

Inside our IB class:

We have the actual students- those who actually study and engage in class.

The clowns- those who fool around and have panic attacks every time exams/ and assignment is due.

The IB-bum's- people who sit at the back of every class and mess around on facebook/fanfiction.

• 2 months later...

At my school the certificate IB students are pretty much part of the social circles of the regular students. Socially, they are pretty much normal students. They have boyfriends/girlfriends, go to school dances/sport games, go to parties, get drunk, etc just like any regular high school student.

The diplomas tend to stick to their own kind. Occasionally they will talk to the certificates, but very rarely will they communicate with regular students. They basically spend all of their time doing IB related tasks and university applications.