Are IB students clique-y at your school?

Before dropping the IB program, I know that my IB school actually had an uncommon, however, not rare situation. My IB school was hosted by the Tri-County ESC at Wooster High School. The ESC would be seduced to join by Richard Bellanco, even if it meant promising students particular courses that he has no permission to do within the position of his job. Anyway, they had students from Hillsdale, Chippewa, Triway and Wooster. There were actually even more than that. So, some of those students would drive to school in a van. Some students would make their own transportation by having one student drive a vehicle for the rest to Wooster. They would eat together based on the school they went to, therefore, some of the Hillsdale students would eat with other Hillsdale students. The Wooster students would eat with the Wooster students, therefore, the cliques were basically composed based on what school you are from. Based on the fact that I was the only idiot to be seduced from West Holmes, I did not have any prior friends, therefore, I just sat with anybody who would be nice enough to permit me to sit with him or her. It seemed that they gathered together when it came to studying for an exam, especially IB Physics 11 SL. Also used as a tool to drag you to join the IB program, they have a lunch room for only the IB students to eat in. It has a sofa and all... Some IB students chose to eat in that room and study, however, the structure was still the same as before. It was not always that way, however. When I went to the orientation, all of the students would sit together by only using one table. As of right now, I cannot tell you as to whether or not they used that to attract students who did have any friends they were able to relate to from neighboring school. That is basically how it worked before I dropped the IB program.

The IB program at my school kind of seems like its split between the ELITE IB students, whom are students that really really popular in general, the Tennis players (which is like 75% of IB) and then there's the IB kids who just hang out with their friend groups of 3-4...

and there are about 67ish people in my class doing IB...

IB is a clique in itself. IB students recognize that they are all nerds and, because this is the nature of nerds, will group together. There will even be sub-cliques that are made up of "specialized nerds" with specific shared interests and compatible abilities as students. These sub-cliques have the potential to make a student more successful and are therefore very useful and common in IB students. It is not necessarily the nature of the common IB student to pack with others, it is simply assurance for mutual survival.

• Like 2

We have 32/160 odd girls doing IB at my school. I think that for those who come just for the IB in the last two years of school, they feel more attached to the other IB students as they have no way (and I mean, no way,) of knowing girls not taking IB.

Luckily my school makes sure that we are in houses and tutor classes with non-IBers, to mix it up, and I think that works to a certain extent. Personally, I try as hard as I can to strike a balance. But as you said, being in classes with the same people all the time, it does mean that even if we aren't trying to be clique-y, it can happen because A level girls don't know what we're talking about.

There is also a certain amount of tension between the two programme groups - IB and A level, with occasional verbal spats about who is better. Which is childish, and impossible to answer, but also predictable. And so with that comes a little bit of tension at a one-to-one level as well as at a programme-to-programme level.

• 3 weeks later...

Majority of people in my school opted for IB, and most of us have been together for near 7 years, and about 30-35% of us have been together for 13 years. So no, there aren't any IB cliques. There ARE cliques, but they were formed from before IB.

To put this in some context, we all took the same program till Year 11, and then switched to IB or BTEC. We have about 20 BTEC students in our year, and the rest of us, about 100-120 of us do IB. We've had literally no drop outs, save for maybe three people, unless you count people moving in and out of our school. Also, nobody takes certificate- it's always the full diploma. You just get certificate if you fail any of your IB exams and can't pass with a 24.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Our school is purely IB in G11-12 so there are no IB cliques. Although there seems to be a IGCSE clique though. Since our school does IGCSE in G9-10, anyone transferring into the school at G10 would be placed in pre-IB so there is quite a separation between the IGCSE-IB people and the pre-IB-IB people. This may also be due to the fact that pre-IB students have mostly completed a local Chinese middle school course through to G9, the ending year of middle school, before they transferred. Their long term local education gives them a more traditional mindset. I am not being stereotypical here because they are all, ALL, crazily good at maths. It's crazy. So all pre-IB people are in Math HL. Also, since they all did Chinese for 9 years, they are all in Chinese A1 Literature and English B. The IGCSE people, on the other hand, had all studied together for at least 2 years, some even more, so bond closer together. Believe me when I say exams bring people together. It's always good to know that your friends have suffered through exams as you did, ain't I a nice person.

At my school IB is a clique, being 1 percent of the student body (14/15ish out of 1406), we all have pretty much the same classes besides our non-IB courses with some certificate kids mixed in and due to that we're all fairly close with everyone having their one or two super close friends.

• 7 months later...

At my school it's pretty much half and half as far as IB to traditional kids go. Mostly the IB hang out with the IB just because we have more classes with them but we do hang out with the traditional kids though. This pretty much goes for athletes becasue IB and traditional both participate in them so that's how we become friends since we have no classes or interaction time otherwise. 

Well at my school, it's kind of clique-y but the partial IB kids also hang out with the non-IB kids. All the full IB kids hang out with just the other full IB kids and the partial IB kids. I know only like two non-IB kids and just hang out with the IB kids.

Edited by ShootingStar16

At my school About half the people are "IB" but that includes Diploma, Certificate, as well as Associates (between Diploma and Certificate). Also, there are people who take some IB classes but don't actually test. So basically, there's some who seem to look down on other people who aren't in IB but most of us are also friends with people in and out of IB. 

In my school it is all divided. I think all of us pretend to get along for the sake of it but then you have the typical party people that want to keep these parties "secret" but at the end of the day anyone knows. In my grade, its all pretty much about having exclusive groups. Also, all of us are foreigners so people tend to group acording to nationalities. But since we all do IB, we don't have groups acording to the kind of studies you take

In my school IB serves as an international department therefor around 2/3 of IB students are of different nationalities. That's why we don't really talk to a lot of people from the rest of the school, mostly because they don't want to (or can't) speak English to us... It's a bit of a segregated environment I'd say and it sucks at times. Only the kids that were born in the country usually talk with the rest of the students and the ones that weren't feel alienated. But that's a beauty of being a foreigner in a different country, I guess...  :surrender:

We refer to our IB cohort as an island. Although we are all friends with non-IBers, we all sit together at lunch, and have our own Facebook group. Also, our current trend is that people only date others within IB. We are a little incest family. 

I think the reason IB students are always clique-y is because we like to complain to each other about the pain of school and exchange IB puns. That pretty much sums up all of my IB friendships ahaha

In my school, I would say yes. Even though my classmates and I take the same classes together, there tends to be different groups that people hang out with. All the guys who are in Math HL hang out together, all the 2nd generation immigrant girls hang out together, and all the band people hang out together, to name a few. We know each other well, but we do not sit together unless it is in class.

I also believe my school thinks IB is an elite academic academy. Since we have both IB and AP diploma programs at the school, there is a bit of a rivalry between the two groups. To me, this is odd because both programs have rigorous academic coursework and exams.

Edited by blckcat412