Online Plagiarism Check

dessskris

Are these posts on IBS scanned by online plagiarism checkers like Turn It In?

I need some help with forming my EE RQ but I don't want to post in the forum, because I'm afraid if online plagiarism checkers will scan these posts in the forum and my teacher will think that I copy from here.

The problem is because my EE topic is hardly known and I can only find two webpages talking about this topic, and they are actually the same entry posted in different blogs (making it hard for me to find out its history too, but I've got it from a reliable source through email).

What I like though is that when my school checks my EE for plagiarism (we use Turn It In) the percentage of plagiarism will be really low, so they will see that my topic is quite original.

So now I am afraid. If my research question is posted here, will Turn It In be able to scan it too? (remembering only the first post in every thread can be seen by non-members)

Thank you!

Edited by dessskris

I'm not 100% sure.

If you really feel uncomfortable then it's best you don't post it on forums but try and ask help

from individual members who you think will give you good advice. (:

My teacher explained Turn It In as a database of all submitted papers over a certain period of time,

so it sounds like your work is only being compared to previously submitted or papers that have already been entered in.

Then again, a general Google/search engine scan is probably part of it too.

I say don't post it on the forums just to be safe, but feel free to private message or e-mail other members for help? :o

• Like 1

It's very likely that Turn-it-in will add IBS files & pages to its archives as well, I believe it's always updating anything in the public domain - and including books, too! So yeah, it'll probably pick up on it if you put it on the public boards.

Just post a re-phrased version of your RQ if you're that worried. Also remember that Turn-it-in may pick stuff up, but provided it's referenced, it doesn't matter. For instance it won't matter if it picks up on your RQ - for a start, it's you putting it up on here anyway and secondly plenty of people do EEs with questions that have already been asked. No worries. Other people have been posting their RQs up for years and don't appear to have been accused of plagiarising themselves! :P

• 3 weeks later...

About what you said about non-members accessing the forums' posts: search engines can access everything on here by default. (I'm assuming that feature isn't turned of because it helps promote the site!)

Search engines can only access the first post of each topic, the same as non-members. Thus if you search the post I am replying to you with on google, it will not show up.

• 3 years later...
  • 6 years later...