Good SL Maths Workbooks/Textbooks with Exercises?

Serene Z

Does anyone know which SL Maths books has a lot of exercises on the 7 topics in the syllabus? The one that I currently have is the Haese and Harris Textbook - how does it fare in comparison with the other textbooks out there like the Pearson Baccalaureate text?

Any exam prep book recommendations are welcomed too.

• 2 months later...

The difference between a textbook and a workbook would really help me. I need a workbook that leaves you space to write the answers in, like how its done on the exam. Anyone know of one of these available for SL IB Math?

Just get some actual past papers. You can find them on the internet or you can ask your teacher for them. They are excellent preparation.

• 2 weeks later...

The H&H book is pretty good, i find it REALLY useful. For the concepts that I don't understand, I use http://www.khanacademy.com

The video tutorials on CALCULUS, GEOMETRY and other topics are pretty awesome.

I use the H&H book for Maths HL, and I find it very good. The only problem with it is that the exercises are not sufficiently difficult to prepare you for the exam, so if you go for this one you must be prepared to practice a lot on past papers!

The IBID book is also good.

Edited by Sammie Backman

if you want books with challenging exercises, go for the Cambridge textbook. it's very good too in terms of the content and the way they explain it, and the exercises are difficult and some are taken from past papers.

I heard so about H&H book, the exercise is TOO easy. so you might get shocked seeing the exam papers.

and tbh I've never heard there was IBID maths book. I'm going to assume it's not very good since not many people use it -_-

According to my math teacher, the level of review exercises in the IBID textbook ( at least for HL) is way above the level of exam questions... the format isn't the same as that of question papers but it does challenge you to think critically and prepares you to solve just about any question thrown at you (within the syllabus, of course :P).

I haven't looked at either the Cambridge books nor the IBID SL book, but I can check in the library and ask around and let you know :D

Btw, the H&H SL book has a really nice graphing software (:

For me and my SL friends, we all use:

Mathematics

for the international student

Mathematics HL (Core) second edition

Paul Urban David Martin Robert Haese Sandra Haese Michael Haese Mark Humphries

It's very helpful! It has a graphing package, and has lots of extra lessons on almost everything.

You may also want to check out BrightStorm. It also helps us a lot! If not, you may also want to try

Mathematics

Published by the Oxford University Press

I also have it, and its a nice supplement and practice!

So, yea, but, I still think that the first book is a lot better!

But, in the end, get the book you like, and you think you'll understand the most. This way, you'll have most fun with it, and actually learn to like math for what it is. :))

I have had a look at the books. They are all text books which involve introduction of formulas...(I own a Mathematics SL (Core) second edition) by

Paul Urban David Martin Robert Haese Sandra Haese Michael Haese Mark Humphries.

However, I don't think it provides ample exercises and exam format practice. In other words, I am looking for Maths workbook. Does anyone hear know any good Maths workbooks??

**I wish I could do past papers but, I am only a first year and I know too little to do the questions in past papers.**

:sadnod:

• 2 months later...