Quick Guide to Maths Symbols on the computer

Sandwich

This is fantastic, thank you so much. This will make posting in math soo much easier.

Just a suggestion, to make it easier to use could you have a tex button like the code button or the subscript button? This would make it a lot easier than writing it out every time, or clicking on it in the styles list. This is generally because, when I use math here, I explain things while I'm doing it, which means that I have to rewrite the tag every time I use math.

Awesome guide Sandwich! I'll also give two helpful links:

Detexify - This site contains a white drawing area where you can draw a math symbol that you don't know the LaTeX code for. Very helpful.

AoPS LaTeX Guide - A comprehensive guide to using LaTeX. It also shows you how to create good-looking LaTeX documents.

Edited by Sandwich
Awesome, thanks! I've added them both to the list :D

7. Matrices

You then enter in the terms horizontally, so along the line, using & to indicate the next term e.g.

{1,1} & {1,2} & {1,3}

just to avoid confusion, I suggest the examples to just be

1 & 2 & 3

or

a & b & c

or anything along those lines, as simple as that instead of

{1,1} & {1,2} & {1,3}

because the {} brackets are rather confusing, as I thought we needed to put the brackets (or do we, actually?), although when I read the next example I saw that the brackets aren't necessary.

2. Indices

gif.latex?x^7

Achieved by: x^7

could you put in another example here e.g.:

gif.latex?x^{-7}

Achieved by: x^{-7}

because I initially thought it would just be x^-7 but then it became gif.latex?x^-7 and when I tried x^(-7) it became gif.latex?x^(-7) and it turned out that we need to use {} instead :P

9. Operators

Trigonometry?

Edited by Desy Glau

• 2 months later...
7. Matrices

You then enter in the terms horizontally, so along the line, using & to indicate the next term e.g.

{1,1} & {1,2} & {1,3}

just to avoid confusion, I suggest the examples to just be

1 & 2 & 3

or

a & b & c

or anything along those lines, as simple as that instead of

{1,1} & {1,2} & {1,3}

because the {} brackets are rather confusing, as I thought we needed to put the brackets (or do we, actually?), although when I read the next example I saw that the brackets aren't necessary.

Added your suggestions/changes. Re: the squiggly brackets, I've also added an explanation in as to why those are necessary for co-ordinates or negative numbers.

• 2 weeks later...