IB math studies

Guest Fuzzerker

Guest Fuzzerker

What kind of math will I be doing in this class. I have signed up for it for next year. I was just wondering because I am absolutely terrible at math, but I am caught between a rock and a hard place because I took pre calc this year, so next year I can choose between AP statistics, probability (this is a total BS class and would look lame for me to take senior year), or AP Calculus (yeah right). So im pretty much deciding between AP stats and Ib math studies

I'm taking the math studies exam this year. I don't what will be on it, so I am a curious as to some sample problems. However, I can tell you what my class is doing.

First of all, since high school, I've been a mediocre math student. I was horrible at geometry, decent at Algebra I and II, and okay at precal (good at some things, bad at other things). When signing up for my current courses, I could choose between a course called discrete math and AP calculus (which also would be good for IB Mathematics). I knew I wouldn't be good at calculus, but at the same time, I previously had had the discrete teacher for geometry, and even though I am bad at geometry, he made it even worse. Not because he was a mean guy or even a bad teacher, but because his tests included extremely difficult problems, even for good geometry students. However, I ended up sticking with discrete, and I couldn't be happier. First of all, everyone who's taking calculus hates it, and secondly, I have excelled in it for the most part. But enough about me. I should tell you about the course.

First semester we studied statistics almost exclusively. I don't know if this information will be on the exam, or if we learned it simply to do a statistical investigation for our IA. I know some of the stuff about probability and chi-square testing should be on the exams. In the current semester, we are studying "finite math," which includes matrices, solving linear inequalities, set theory, combinatorial analysis, series, probability, and some other stuff. Also, we have studied introductory calculus (limits, derivatives, continuity) and have reviewed some geometry, trigonometry, and conics. So, from what I have inferred about the test, I think the math studies test is like a comprehensive review of math concepts learned in high school.

Like I stated previously, however, I really don't know what will be on the exam, so I would appreciate some sample problems. But if I had your decision, I would choose AP stats. I don't know what your school's math studies course encompasses, so I'm not really a fair assessor. But I have a certain prowess for statistics, as I discovered this year. I'm much better at stats than other form of math. If I was in your place, I would try to look at some AP Statistics guidebooks and see if you could work some of the problems. Another reason to take AP stats is because of college credit. If you are thinking of SL math studies, you likely won't get any college credit. You will normally get some for taking AP, but if you are a diplomma candidate, then it is a different story. Also, I don't know the relative difficulties of your school's IB math studies course compared to your school's AP statistics course, so I have no right to make a suggestion.