The UCAS Thread

dessskris

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys... I have some questions to ask regarding the application form:

1. In the Personal Details section, do I have to enter the Date of first entry to UK? Because I'm not sure yet what date exactly I plan to enter, maybe late August 2012 or early September 2012, but can I leave this blank first? or should I just put an approximate date? and later after applying can I change it?

2. In the Education section, do I put currently attending school only or should I also include my middle school and primary school?

3. In the Education section, after I entered my school, I added IB and IGCSE as the qualifications. But what is Qualification date? We're taking the IB exams in May 2012 but since the results will come out in August 2012, which month should I put for IB? And for IGCSE, we took the exam in June 2010, but the results came out in August (if I remember correctly) and we received the certificate in October (if I remember correctly), so which month shold I put?

I guess that's all for now... the forms are just so confusing and the help ? thing is not always helpful :(

1. When I filled that in I put in the approximate month and year I planned on entering the UK for Uni (so around August 20-whatever). But really that's a small, insignificant detail.

2. Only name the High School(s) you've attended. If I remember correctly they sometimes give more space in that section (for more than one school) but that's because a lot of students change schools after 10th grade by going to Junior College or some such. I changed schools like many of my peers (well, I also changed continents, but details...) So, in your case, if you've attended one school from 9th until 12th, then that's the only one to be mentioned.

3. I never thought about it so deeply. I just put in the date I gave the exams. So my ICSE exams I listed as March 2008 (even though the results came out officially in the following May) and for IB I put in May 2010 (except ESS, which I put in May 2009 because I gave that one a year early). So just stick to the May dates, it's fine.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

when you apply through ucas, it already gives you the options for high school and senior school or whatever.

I forgot right now, but it definitely is on the ucas online application form so don't worry about it.

Also, the abbreviations are apparently allowed as I asked my teacher and he is familiar with the ucas since 5 years.

Universities do not mind, because they understand that students alre allowed only 4000 characters and it really does not matter.

In that way you can write more words and write about additional relevant stuff.

But be careful not make it look like you squeezed every thing using abbreviations :rolleyes:

:) hope i was helpful :angel:

you HAVE to leave them as "pending".

your teacher will key in your predicted grades for AP and IB in the Reference section, along with your reference letter. so don't worry about that and don't try to cheat by keying in full marks or whatever. for SAT don't give any prediction, especially if they come from you.

Thanks...

Just to clarify my understanding on one point: I finish all parts the application that I can, and then submit it, and THEN it goes to my teacher for the recommendation and predicted scores, right? Because that's what I've told my teacher.

Yep it goes to your teachers for them to add in the reference etc.

I am confused... On UCAS, I saw a spot to put my predicted scores (on the teacher recommendation page), but I've heard that my school counselor is supposed to enter my scores there. So do I do it or does the counselor??

THEY do it. Otherwise you could well give yourself a predicted score of 45 so the system would be really quite rubbish if everybody could enter in their own predictions! :P

• 2 months later...

Are the predicted grades meant to be submitted with the application? I'm starting to get worried, since my IB coordinator has said that the predicted grades will be gotten from the mocks which will be held in March! So if my referee doesn't add them to the application before sending it off (if he hasn't done that already), what do I do?

Are the predicted grades meant to be submitted with the application? I'm starting to get worried, since my IB coordinator has said that the predicted grades will be gotten from the mocks which will be held in March! So if my referee doesn't add them to the application before sending it off (if he hasn't done that already), what do I do?

yes predicted grades are keyed in by your referee or your school in the Reference section. you have to tell your IB coordinator that you're applying to the UK. they would've known that the deadline is 15 jan and you need their predictions. then they'll ask teachers for early predictions (from your past performance throughout IB).

• 4 weeks later...

If you apply before the Jan 15th deadline, when can you generally expect university offers to come through? I'm asking because I would prefer to go to university in the UK; however in Australia most local offers require being either accepted or declined early in January, meaning there's a good chance I'd have to defer all domestic applications for a year.

If you apply before the Jan 15th deadline, when can you generally expect university offers to come through? I'm asking because I would prefer to go to university in the UK; however in Australia most local offers require being either accepted or declined early in January, meaning there's a good chance I'd have to defer all domestic applications for a year.

Hey,

It really depends on the course/department/University, I'm afraid, so it's really hard to say. They should almost definitely have come through by March, but they could be fast, slow or anything in between. Impossible to put a number on it really.

Is there a way to accept an offer from an Australian Uni and then un-accept it later on if you get one you like from the UK? Possibly :P It'd basically be the same as just dropping out before you even get there in some perverse way - and unless you have to pay any fees right up-front, then I imagine it'd be free to do this.

Hey,

It really depends on the course/department/University, I'm afraid, so it's really hard to say. They should almost definitely have come through by March, but they could be fast, slow or anything in between. Impossible to put a number on it really.

Is there a way to accept an offer from an Australian Uni and then un-accept it later on if you get one you like from the UK? Possibly :P It'd basically be the same as just dropping out before you even get there in some perverse way - and unless you have to pay any fees right up-front, then I imagine it'd be free to do this.

I'm not sure about the whole un-accepting thing. I know a friend of mine got an extension on accepting his offer until 2 days ago, due to extenuating circumstances regarding visa status, and I could probably get an extension of similar length; meaning by then I'd hopefully get my offer/rejection from Oxford (my tentative UCAS apps are for Oxford PPE, UCL ESPS, UCL/SciencesPO dual-ESPS, LSE Anth/Law and Warwick EcoPol&IR); but uni itself starts at the beginning of March, so it'd end up weird. Would probably have to pay first term's fees if I accepted a local offer then dropped out in late March, though on domestic fee status that's not too bad. It'd be awkward though, applying and going there whilst hoping to drop out.