The UCAS Thread

dessskris

If you apply before the Jan 15th deadline, when can you generally expect university offers to come through? I'm asking because I would prefer to go to university in the UK; however in Australia most local offers require being either accepted or declined early in January, meaning there's a good chance I'd have to defer all domestic applications for a year.

if you're applying to Oxford, you'll have to apply before 15 October. Oxford will definitely get back to you before xmas so you'll have time to wait till your Oxford decision comes through.

UCL, LSE and Warwick are pretty slow. I think applied in October or maybe even September but now she hasn't heard from LSE. I applied to UCL and got their decision in mid December.

actually some of the worse universities are pretty fast in replying, but you wanna apply to the really good universities so you'll have to be patient because they're really slow.

try to apply in September, maybe it'd save you a bit more time :P

if you're applying to Oxford, you'll have to apply before 15 October. Oxford will definitely get back to you before xmas so you'll have time to wait till your Oxford decision comes through.

UCL, LSE and Warwick are pretty slow. I think applied in October or maybe even September but now she hasn't heard from LSE. I applied to UCL and got their decision in mid December.

actually some of the worse universities are pretty fast in replying, but you wanna apply to the really good universities so you'll have to be patient because they're really slow.

try to apply in September, maybe it'd save you a bit more time :P

We have term break for two weeks in late September, I'll probably work on my PS during that period; as by then we're meant to have finished all internal assessments and courses and be revising for exams, and send in my apps at the end of that. Then again, my 18th is around that time, so I may be too drunk to function XD. Any idea what happens with what happens to my apps after Jan 4th? November session results come out on that day, so would unis who're still considering me at that time be sent those results, or still only have my predicted grades?

• 2 months later...

I just have a question about teacher references.

I'm planning on applying to places for HIstory&Politics, History&International Relations etc.

For my reference, I have two people I could/would ask.

The first is my English teacher, who's taught me for these two years and is the teacher in charge of debating. She would write a great reference, and she knows me pretty well.

The second is my History teacher. She's only taught me for this year, because my other teacher from IB1 left. I don't think she would be able to write as good a reference as the other teacher, and she hasn't known me for as long/doesn't know me as well. But she's my History teacher.

Am I better off getting the second one to write the reference because she's the teacher relevant to that subject? Or should I get whoever would write a BETTER one to write it? (Does it help that it's not just STRAIGHT History?)

Thanks in advance.

Go for the one who'll write the best reference :) We actually had references written from every single teacher plus our head of year all compiled into one coherent 'reference' document to be sent off at my school when I applied. Provided they know you and have taught you, that's who to go for. They probably won't be bothered too much with which subject they taught you.

• Like 1

Go for the one who'll write the best reference :) We actually had references written from every single teacher plus our head of year all compiled into one coherent 'reference' document to be sent off at my school when I applied. Provided they know you and have taught you, that's who to go for. They probably won't be bothered too much with which subject they taught you.

You just answered my question in advance, XD. So I can ask all my teachers to write me a refference and then put it all together in one meaningful reference? :D

• 1 month later...

You just answered my question in advance, XD. So I can ask all my teachers to write me a refference and then put it all together in one meaningful reference? :D

Actually I read somewhere that you still have to have ONE teacher name as your main referee, but in the reference letter this teacher of yours could put "teacher X also mentioned that student A is blah blah blah" if they want to.

• 1 month later...

I took my math igcse in June 2011 and got a B. I wasn't happy with it so I took it again in November 2011 but got a C this time.

When I enter my igcse grades in the university application, which grade am I supposed to mention?

Another question I had, how much do I have to pay for applying to 5 universities? Is the price same as applying to 2 universities?

I took my math igcse in June 2011 and got a B. I wasn't happy with it so I took it again in November 2011 but got a C this time.

When I enter my igcse grades in the university application, which grade am I supposed to mention?

Another question I had, how much do I have to pay for applying to 5 universities? Is the price same as applying to 2 universities?

I think you might have to mention the fact that you took the retake (dependent on university) but you usually just use the best grade.

For home students, you pay £12 for one application but £23 for 2 - 5. So yes they're the same price. I'd assume the same thing happens for international applicants too.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello everyone. Couple of brief question here: in the education section, I am given the option to put in all of the schools that I have attended so far. However, since I am a retake candidate that did the retakes at a different examination centre, do I put the one I did my retake examinations in as a school as well? And, for my original IB school - do I put the exam centre details for that one too? Or is it something I should not fill in?

EDIT: I forgot to mention - I will be putting in my grades only after I receive them.

Edited by Hugh Maddened

• 8 months later...

I've decided to apply for Cambridge (and probably some other unis in the UK) at pretty much the last minute, and had some random queries. I know that initial offers in the UK are made based on predicted marks, but what if my final IB results come out in early January - if they make offers some time in January, would they take this into account? Also, how does the uni find out about my IB results - do I have to get the IB to send it to them and how should I organise this? I'm also a bit unsure as to the reference. Right now we have a teacher at our school whose responsible for organising university applications, but she's also never taught me as a student. She says she'll incorporate comments from school reports (I'm concerned that not much effort is put into report writing!) and our official school reference, so hopefully it will be written to fit the guidelines. Is the teacher reference a critical part of the application?

I've decided to apply for Cambridge (and probably some other unis in the UK) at pretty much the last minute, and had some random queries.

Good on you! What are you applying for?

I know that initial offers in the UK are made based on predicted marks, but what if my final IB results come out in early January - if they make offers some time in January, would they take this into account?

If your results come out around the time offers are made, I don't envision that having any bearing on their procedures. Essentially, if the offer comes to you in January (this is particularly for Cambridge), then when your final results come out, Cambridge will receive the scores, and if you've made your offer, your conditions will be satisfied and it will become an unconditional offer. The difference being that most students have to wait a few months after receiving their offers to know what they have to aim for in their exams and then whether they've made their offers. You will find out much more quickly.

Most universities (all besides Oxbridge, and unless you're applying for Medicine), tend to close applications on 31st January. So some may give you an initial acceptance in January if they like you enough, but others won't give you a response for a while later. LSE, for example, gave me my offer in late March. So in that case, you can send across your final results in January when you receive them if you haven't gotten a response from some of your applied universities and, especially, if your final results are higher than your predicted scores. This way, you will get unconditional offers from them.

On the other hand, you could wait for these universities to get back to you post-January. If you've had an offer made from them, you can send your results onwards and have that conditional become an unconditional.

But in all honesty, what I would suggest for all your non-Cambridge applications is simply call them up? Speak to the admission departments. I can't speak for all universities, but LSE, UCL, King's, Warwick and Durham have really, really nice people working there who answer your questions promptly and helpfully. They will tell you what would be the best way forward since I doubt you're the first person to be in this situation.

Also, how does the uni find out about my IB results - do I have to get the IB to send it to them and how should I organise this?

If I remember correctly, the IB is happy to release your results to your chosen universities for a small amount. It was negligible in my time, something like £8-£10, I think. Speak to your IB Coordinator about this because there is a specific form your have to fill out where you list your university's name and that form is sent to the IB and they do the needful. Unless things have changed that should be the procedure. I would double-check and confirm with your IB Coordinator though, just to be safe.

I'm also a bit unsure as to the reference. Right now we have a teacher at our school whose responsible for organising university applications, but she's also never taught me as a student. She says she'll incorporate comments from school reports (I'm concerned that not much effort is put into report writing!) and our official school reference, so hopefully it will be written to fit the guidelines. Is the teacher reference a critical part of the application?

The reference is exceedingly important!!! Do not underestimate its significance in admissions!

Essentially, what should be going into your reference are the following (in decreasing order of importance):

(a) Any mitigating circumstances, if present, to explain away poor grades received at any point in your academic career**

(b) Any and all academic prizes that you have won in college or school, the more recent, the better**

© A brief description - preferably, but not necessarily, with anecdotes - of how you are as a student

(d) Any extracurriculars that you would like mentioned, but didn't have the space in your Personal Statement for

(e) Anything else your teacher thinks is worthy of note

As a side note, if your referencer is going to make vague statements throughout the reference, "He's a great student! A pleasure to have in class!" kinds, then please kindly ask them to focus on skills that universities actually look for: avid reader, focused, sticks to deadlines, contributes to discussions, that kind of stuff.

If you have any other questions about applying to the UK, feel free to PM me.

Arrowhead.

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 2

Yay - somebody replied - thanks!

I've decided to apply for Cambridge (and probably some other unis in the UK) at pretty much the last minute, and had some random queries.

After tossing up between Human, Social and Political Sciences and Law, I've decided to try my luck at Cambridge Law. And I'm trying LSE, UCL and KCL as well - to me, London seems like a more fascinating place than Cambridge, but I guess you can't have everything. And I also know that Cambridge is seen as traditionally 'weaker' in the humanities side of things, but I honestly think it's quite negligible - I was just pragmatic in choosing Cambridge over Oxford because the admissions testing process seemed less intensive - only required at the point of interview.

I'll try and get some more information from my school about release of results, but I suspect that won't be too big of an issue. Hopefully I can also read the teacher reference I do end up getting before I submit it - because I'm technically registered as an 'independent' candidate on UCAS, I suspect that I will have to - which may give me enough time to request edits to any glaring things in the reference.

Now I have to get working on the personal statement. I have downloaded Gaby's PS - which was quite useful. But the more I look online for inspiration, the more cliche, trite and shallow my ideas seem to become as I try to fuse lots of random elements together. I guess I just need to work on getting some inspiration for how to show an interest in law without sounding exceedingly desperate - hopefully the proof of how I am capable of the course in terms of academic involvement and extra-curricular activities will be less strenuous. I am worried that I will double-up with my school reference though, so I will have to be careful there though.

And even after all this effort, I'm not sure I can or will actually end up studying undergrad in the UK! I'm justifying this time expenditure as 'experience' in how to fill out future paperwork and applications.

But the more I look online for inspiration, the more cliche, trite and shallow my ideas seem to become as I try to fuse lots of random elements together.

Welcome to the world of personal statements XD Mine made me feel sick to read it by the end, it sounded absolutely nothing like me at all. Cliche, trite and shallow DO go down surprisingly well, though. Obviously you want to put in some unique things - when I had my interview, despite all the tonnes of stuff I'd put on my personal statement, every single person just wanted to ask me about the fact I did Chinese lessons. Which upset me a bit because I'd not prepared to say much about that and to be honest, I suck at Chinese :P It's little things like that which they seemed to have picked up on far more than anything else, which surprised me.

All I can say is - get somebody else to read it - if you have any teachers you really admire/respect at school, try giving it to them. Often the most dynamic teachers etc. will be able to give you a new perspective on the way you've done things, whereas if you just pick any old teacher then they'll just correct what you've already got instead of looking at the bigger picture. That was my experience anyway, I handed mine out to more or less anybody who'd take it off me and agree to read it, but actually only a few people really helped me make it 'zing', if that makes any sense! Writing your personal statement is honestly one of the most difficult things to do, in my opinion. Good luck!!

Yay - somebody replied - thanks!

After tossing up between Human, Social and Political Sciences and Law, I've decided to try my luck at Cambridge Law. And I'm trying LSE, UCL and KCL as well - to me, London seems like a more fascinating place than Cambridge, but I guess you can't have everything. And I also know that Cambridge is seen as traditionally 'weaker' in the humanities side of things, but I honestly think it's quite negligible - I was just pragmatic in choosing Cambridge over Oxford because the admissions testing process seemed less intensive - only required at the point of interview.

I'll try and get some more information from my school about release of results, but I suspect that won't be too big of an issue. Hopefully I can also read the teacher reference I do end up getting before I submit it - because I'm technically registered as an 'independent' candidate on UCAS, I suspect that I will have to - which may give me enough time to request edits to any glaring things in the reference.

Now I have to get working on the personal statement. I have downloaded Gaby's PS - which was quite useful. But the more I look online for inspiration, the more cliche, trite and shallow my ideas seem to become as I try to fuse lots of random elements together. I guess I just need to work on getting some inspiration for how to show an interest in law without sounding exceedingly desperate - hopefully the proof of how I am capable of the course in terms of academic involvement and extra-curricular activities will be less strenuous. I am worried that I will double-up with my school reference though, so I will have to be careful there though.

And even after all this effort, I'm not sure I can or will actually end up studying undergrad in the UK! I'm justifying this time expenditure as 'experience' in how to fill out future paperwork and applications.

I'm actually a PS Helper on the student room website and below I'm posting the advice I give lot of people after reading their first drafts and finding them lacking. Think on it if you're really stuck on your PS.

The best Personal Statements elaborate on a deep academic interest, in the law in this case. Yours skirts around that entirely.
A good PS should be 70-80% about your subject/course and 20-30% about your extracurricular achievements, interests, hobbies, work experiences, etc.
The PS need not have a fantastic introduction and conclusion either. You can end your essay with "I also like playing football for my school team and was Captain this past year," and it will NOT count against you.
Preferably the first few paragraphs should be about your subject. When you write about your subject, discuss any books/wider reading you've done and talk about them. When I say 'talk about them,' I mean don't quote the arguments and ideas verbatim or even rephrase them and put them in your own words! Admission tutors will not be impressed with that. What they would prefer is if you said, "X book said this about the law, I think X is right/wrong because..." The secret to talking about your subject is have an opinion and state it clearly. Don't shy away from making bold statements if you can back them up! Tutors don't expect you to know everything, they just want to see that you're interested in the subject you're applying for and you've thought about in an academic context seriously.
Make sure you spend only one paragraph discussing all/most of your IB subjects/other academic pursuits and what you gained from them. The skills, etc. you've obtained as a result. Make sure that the skills you discuss are closely related to the skills you anticipate you will need for your law degree/university education. Make clear links and explain them.
Extracurricular AND work experiences should be one large paragraph, maybe two small ones, right at the end preferably. Don't go into too much detail about them. Just state that you did them. If there is a strong connection you can make between any such thing you've done and your subject, then expand on it. Otherwise, you can just say, I was on the debate team, I was Captain of X club, I worked as a cashier at McDonalds, I did a work experience at Coventry County Court, I shadowed a solicitor for a day, etc. The skills you got from them will be obvious and you need not be too explicit or explicate them too much, tutors will figure it out.
Also, please be careful about remembering that this is a Personal Statement about you wanting to study law as an academic subject at degree level, and not your application to become a lawyer! Talking about your career plans, etc. is not taboo. Tutors aren't stupid. They know that a law degree is something you need for your career, but they don't want to think that the only reason you're applying for a law degree is to become a lawyer. When you're told you need to show passion and enthusiasm for the law, it literally means for the law. Not legal systems, not judges, lawyers, law firms, practice, the UN, saving the world, etc. It's wonderful if your dream is to be a barrister or a high-ranking UN member, etc. Don't shy away from telling them that, but make that one sentence at the end. Your PS should gush about your reflections about the law!
Your main concern is to engender a capable discussion in the first part of your PS that should ably evince your passion and enthusiasm for your subject. Also, never use the actual word, 'passion,' tutors roll their eyes the moment they see it.
I hope you find this useful!
Best wishes,
Arrowhead.
  • Like 5

Argh, the travails of UCAS. I'm actually seriously panicking now because I got an email from UCAS saying that my referee had completed the reference and sent it out - but the issue is that it said that the referee was "unable to provide predicted grades to support your application". I think that means that the predicted grades section of the references section wasn't filled out - which is concerning given that my predicted grades are good and I'm fairly sure that unis would want to look at that to make an offer. I've tried to contact my referee to clarify, but right now it's simply saying that the section is complete and I can't change anything.

In short, my question is can my designated UCAS referee go back and edit the references section once it has been ticked as complete? If the predicted grades can't be attached in the references section but is present in the written reference, what chance do I stand as a serious candidate for Cambridge? And if worse comes to worse, is it possible to restart my application and register again for 2014 entry?

I'm also registered as an independent and international candidate, so if anyone has advice for my specific situation, that would be appreciated.

I've tried looking online, but I can't find much clear information and now I am seriously panicking. I need my UCAS + COPA + SAQ in by September 20, so I am stressing out. And then IB exams in November... Yay.

Argh, the travails of UCAS. I'm actually seriously panicking now because I got an email from UCAS saying that my referee had completed the reference and sent it out - but the issue is that it said that the referee was "unable to provide predicted grades to support your application". I think that means that the predicted grades section of the references section wasn't filled out - which is concerning given that my predicted grades are good and I'm fairly sure that unis would want to look at that to make an offer. I've tried to contact my referee to clarify, but right now it's simply saying that the section is complete and I can't change anything.

In short, my question is can my designated UCAS referee go back and edit the references section once it has been ticked as complete? If the predicted grades can't be attached in the references section but is present in the written reference, what chance do I stand as a serious candidate for Cambridge? And if worse comes to worse, is it possible to restart my application and register again for 2014 entry?

I'm also registered as an independent and international candidate, so if anyone has advice for my specific situation, that would be appreciated.

I've tried looking online, but I can't find much clear information and now I am seriously panicking. I need my UCAS + COPA + SAQ in by September 20, so I am stressing out. And then IB exams in November... Yay.

Calm down and call UCAS. They're very helpful on the phone. Just have a word with them and ask them what to do.

• 2 months later...

My school has established us our predicted grades as per what teachers gave in September.

Are the predicteds supposed to definitely be written down by the referee based on what information the school gives them?

Or can I have a say in it or even determine what predicted grades to indicate for the unis?

Or leave out the predicted grades, and how would this affect my chances of getting in?

Or if I choose to apply as individual, is it so then that the referee isn't responsible of the predicteds, but I am, in that case?

But will this affect the unis' decision making if other students are applying through the school buzzword?

Edited by Jire