Business and Management HL

Currently, my school is using an A-Level textbook which is not completely relevent to the IB syllabus. I bought the revision guide published by the Oxford Study Courses. The notes within it is pretty good, but it usually skips some sub-modules. I tried to write notes for myself, but I always don't have significant amount of materials. Are there useful business books or notes on the web relevent to the IB syllabus?? I really need them for my study sessions~!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
For Students i believe the best book is the Business Studies Third Edition book by Dave Hall Rob Jones and Carlo Raffo

We have that book in class and I'm not that fond of it, while it does give great pros and cons with different business methods etc., it does not follow the business syllabus and that's confusing and annoying.

For Students i believe the best book is the Business Studies Third Edition book by Dave Hall Rob Jones and Carlo Raffo

I quite like that book, it has quite a lot of detail, so one can even self study from it. Although, as the person above said, if you're gonna use this book, then it's imperative to have a copy of the syllabus document and look through the index to find your required chapter of study. It's not adapted to the IB syllabus.

Also, I wouldn't get the OSC-IB study guides for B&M, they're not that detailed and not very well written wither.

• 1 month later...

in my college..we hv three main books...one is dave hall, th other two r books by jewel, n peter stimpson..

my teacher always asked us to use more than one book as it will help us cover the syllabus and as well as help us in undertsanding th subject..

Edited by hanif

• 3 weeks later...

Im a May 09' B&M HL candidate also

and our school gave us the Third Edition business studies book aswell

I find it completely useless at times as it is so big and thick and rambles off about useless stuff at times though it is the only basis i have for beggining my notes

I do wish there was a better business and management textbook for the IB out there.

Right now what I do is i get the syllabus out and just make my notes according to that, using the big fat textbook along with the internet etc to make my notes!

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Have you guys (2009 candidates) started your B&M IA's yet? I'm doing HL and I think I have all my data and stuff, but I'm really struggling with the format of the whole project. Like, I'm not sure about you guys, but we got this "guide" and it says we have to have this section in the main body called "main results and findings" and I'm just not entirely sure what to put there. I know this sounds like the dumbest question ever, but I'm really iffy about putting things in there because I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. Are we supposed to put like, data and figures and stuff in there? Are we supposed to talk about different theories in there?

My IA is about this restaurant near where I live, and they're replacing some of their cooking equipment basically, and what I'm working on is more of a financial topic, like investment appraisals etc. Having said that, I'm going around my area, looking up quotes and things for the specific item the restaurant is looking for, as the restaurant have specified they wanted certain characteristics in the equipment (size, heat capacity etc), so I'm going to be doing the whole investment appraisal deal to figure out which machine is the one they should get.

But my problem is that in this example HL IA that I saw, this person had all these random "results and findings" in the section, and I'm having a really hard time figuring out exactly what I should have in mine ;)

Sorry if that was a total waste of time and incoherent! I'm just really desperately stuck!

- Charlie.

P.S. sorry, one more question: whereabouts in the first section are you putting your introduction? I tried asking my teacher and he said he wasn't fussed, but I kind of am, so, yeah, just another thing. Sorry!!

P.P.S. this sounds to me like another stupid question, but are we ALLOWED to be talking about this? I'm really sorry if we aren't, and I'm really sorry if the answer to this question is obvious! I'm just new to this site, really, and I don't really know anything :$

• 1 month later...

I believe that using A-levels textbook would give much more details for students especially for whom doing HL B&M. However, it would be hard in terms of revising because of the difference within the structure of syllabus. At the moment I am using the Business Studies 3rd Edition but I am going to buy IBID book sooner or later.

I believe that using A-levels textbook would give much more details for students especially for whom doing HL B&M. However, it would be hard in terms of revising because of the difference within the structure of syllabus. At the moment I am using the Business Studies 3rd Edition but I am going to buy IBID book sooner or later.

I bought myself the ibid B&M textbook written by Paul Hoang for my 2002 syllabus revision

though it has some new modules, but it covers almost all old stuff

i would say it is even better than the Business Studies 3rd Edition

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello

i think you should go to Amazon.com and type IB Business Books. I was in your situation last year and i did that. It helped me greatly. I also wrote in google IB Business books SL and a great selection were shown to me in which i bought a few. Buy the books that you think can help you. It cant hurt because in the end all this information is required in ur last examination.

Bye.

Currently, my school is using an A-Level textbook which is not completely relevent to the IB syllabus. I bought the revision guide published by the Oxford Study Courses. The notes within it is pretty good, but it usually skips some sub-modules. I tried to write notes for myself, but I always don't have significant amount of materials. Are there useful business books or notes on the web relevent to the IB syllabus?? I really need them for my study sessions~!

business studies by dave hall, and the new IBID book is great. it states exam hints, and it onlyy focuses on the syllabess nothing elsee.. it also has GREAT exampless..!!

robinson's business books are good too

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...