What's the Writing Format of a Math IA?

ch_ris127

So...I've just solved the whole stellar-number IA paper, and now I just need to start writing the report. But where to start? The teacher never gave us any guidelines...

Is there any specific format of writing the IA, aside from the introduction and conclusion? And oh, what should we include in the introduction?

Thanks a lot for the help. :)

It's a report style so make sure you use the adequate terms and vocab

In the introduction you state what you're going to investigate, what materials you'll use and the technology used in the investigation.

Afterwards, write your investigation but never forget to use the proper terminology because it's important that you use a mathematical vocab.

Basically, read the Maths SL Guide, it explains all the criteria :)

Still though, in the conclusion you present the scope and limitations of the investigation and the main conclusions that you reached.

It's a report style so make sure you use the adequate terms and vocab

In the introduction you state what you're going to investigate, what materials you'll use and the technology used in the investigation.

Afterwards, write your investigation but never forget to use the proper terminology because it's important that you use a mathematical vocab.

Basically, read the Maths SL Guide, it explains all the criteria :)

Still though, in the conclusion you present the scope and limitations of the investigation and the main conclusions that you reached.

Thank you! Should I include the graphics calculator in the introduction?

all the information you need can be found here --> http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/12330-mathematics-portfolio-tips-for-hl-and-sl/

Wow, I didn't notice this before. Thanks a whole bunch for writing all that!!! :D

Oh, and uh...I can't help but ask; people keep on mentioning using graph programs, matrices and all those complicated equations in the IA, but they aren't needed for the type I stellar numbers paper, right? It's either that, or there's something really wrong with my workings... :blink:

There are various ways to do the stellar numbers IA. I used sigma notation in mine, whereas others used matrices. It's completely up to you, as long as the general statement works well for that pattern. It's not required to do something complex, I believe, just as long as you meet the marking criteria.

Wow, I didn't notice this before. Thanks a whole bunch for writing all that!!! :D

Oh, and uh...I can't help but ask; people keep on mentioning using graph programs, matrices and all those complicated equations in the IA, but they aren't needed for the type I stellar numbers paper, right? It's either that, or there's something really wrong with my workings... :blink:

you're welcome! hmmm well if you can find some method that is mathematical enough to get your general statement and everything, maybe it will do. keep in mind that they mark your use of technology (criterion E) a maximum of 3 marks. if you don't use any form of technology like graphing software then you'll get 0 for that criterion. matrices is one of the ways to get to your conjecture.

should you need more info on the IA do let me know :)

you're welcome! hmmm well if you can find some method that is mathematical enough to get your general statement and everything, maybe it will do. keep in mind that they mark your use of technology (criterion E) a maximum of 3 marks. if you don't use any form of technology like graphing software then you'll get 0 for that criterion. matrices is one of the ways to get to your conjecture.

should you need more info on the IA do let me know :)

That's funny, cause the teacher didn't say anything about criterion E -- we only got criterion D and E...

Now my IA looks darn ridiculous and too simple without matrices, sigma stuff or what. :no:

There are various ways to do the stellar numbers IA. I used sigma notation in mine, whereas others used matrices. It's completely up to you, as long as the general statement works well for that pattern. It's not required to do something complex, I believe, just as long as you meet the marking criteria.

I see...thanks a lot!