What is the difference between HL, SL, Studies? Which to take?

Guest El_Nano

I've seen several people saying that you shouldn't take Maths Studies, especially in the UK/for top UK universities in particular.

I think I'll probably be getting around a low A/high B in maths GCSE. I don't find maths amazingly challenging, but I just go to pieces in the exams. I also definitely don't want to do anything sciencey/maths based in university, I'm more of a humanities/language person, so based on that reasoning, I was planning on taking maths studies. However, lots of people think that you'll definitely get rejected if you have maths studies...to what extent is this true, even if you're never going to do something related to maths after IB?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-league-table

The top 10 or so Unis on this List will definitely have a problem with you taking Maths Studies instead of Standard and will at the very least demand a very thourough explanation so I would not unless you are very inept at Mathematics take Studies. This shows that you are only taking the "easy way out" and to be honest standard isn't that hard. The IB's a lot of work for most people and the same goes for Maths Standard People who aren't very good at Mathematics but if you're willing to attend a top Uni then Maths Standard is the minimum...

--Blind

Edited by Philip Ender

from personal experience, i can say that the difference between SL and HL is not that big, though most of u will find Studies really easy

Sorry, but you are sort of wrong really. The difference is huge. HL maths is much more difficult and if you are not good at maths do not take it or do IB if your university wants it.

x

• 1 month later...
Guest Parshant DiPersia

Hi, i'm an grade 10 IB student from Toronto, Canada.

we had our course options yesterday for grade 11 and 12.

i chose HL Math!

when I told my frineds, they freaked out, telling me my life was over :D

because all of them took SL

to be honest, I SUCK at math! and i can't undo my choice

but i have very high potential, and when i really wanna do something, it just comes to me.

so i was hoping I would cover up HL math this summer, if I wanna get atleast a 6 on it in exams

PLEASE leave a comment below comparing how different HL math is from SL math

i couldn't find anything about it on this website :)

please and thank you SO much!

You are probably underestimating yourself when you say that you suck at it. The difference between SL and HL is that HL has approximately twice the syllabus and you have to choose an option. The difficulty of the syllabus itself is moderate, but the exam questions can be quite demanding and that is where most students suffer. There are three papers and you get two hours on the first two and one hour on the last one. The limited time makes it so you need to race through some relatively hard problems.

Bottom line: Any math interested student can take HL Math, but be prepared to work hard. Also, don't get surprised if you end up with a 5 even though you worked really hard, because it is one of the most demanding courses in the IB.

Edited by chrypton

i chose HL Math!

when I told my frineds, they freaked out, telling me my life was over :D

but i have very high potential, and when i really wanna do something, it just comes to me.

so i was hoping I would cover up HL math this summer, if I wanna get atleast a 6 on it in exams

i couldn't find anything about it on this website :)

Hey there,

I'm currently an HL math student, going into IB Exams in may of this year.

Now... I don't say anything to scare you or make you not want to take HL math, but let me give you my honest opinion.

It is VERY hard. Most of us went in with 96's and above and now the class average is around 82. This is when literally all of us had at least a 95 in grade 9/10 math.

HL math has a very different way of asking questions. They are nothing like what's seen in the textbook. They are questions that require real thought and not just applying a single concept.

I've seen questions where I had to use two or three concepts that I thought didn't even go together. I've seen some questions where you had to use some sort of "trick" to get the right answer.

Another problem seems to be the fact that you may do your homework everyday, and you may get the concept, but this guarantees nothing in HL math. I know a girl who is very studious and does all the questions in the textbook assigned and then some and she even understands all the concepts. However, she is currently in the 60% range even though she works so hard.

With that said, there are those who still manage to do well. I've been able to hold onto my 7 throughout the years, even with some rough topics. HL math isn't testing if you understand a concept. It's more to see the extent in which you understand a concept. It's very much about problem solving rather than "copying" steps to find an answer. They purposely make it so that you can't simple memorize how to do certain questions. I'd be willing to answer any further questions you may have.

i chose HL Math!

when I told my frineds, they freaked out, telling me my life was over ;)

i couldn't find anything about it on this website :P

Hey I saw your post here and saw your PM and realised they are the same thing so I am replying here ok :)

We have a thread about this and it's a sticky but I have merged your topic with this one so please read through this thread if you want to know the difference :D

By the way I suggest you to start with math HL first. When will your IB course start? I am taking HL and TBH I am loving and enjoying it :) however I do know that many people are failing it and regretting taking HL :S so I would say that if you have a passion, just try first to make yourself happy! After a while (max about 3 months after starting the course), if you cannot take it anymore, just drop to SL! Most schools allow their students to change subjects within the first few months so I am guessing your school does so too :ok: I guess you may find math SL easy later..by the way if you are really thinking of dropping, think what subject you want to upgrade to HL because you will need 3 HL and 3 SL at the end right? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm debating between Math Studies and Mathematics SL

so far my courses are:

Biology HL

English HL

History of the Americas HL

Film Studies HL

German SL or Spanish ab initio (haven't decided yet)

and then there's math.

I'm taking 4 HL's so I'm concerned I might not have enough time to dedicate to mathematics SL. I don't really like math, and I'm decent at it (I'll probably get about a B in an honors class) I liked geometry honors, but HATED algebra II honors.

Whatever I end up doing in the future probably won't involve much math. But I'm concerned with colleges looking down on me for taking studies.

If I wasn't going to do IB, I would have taken AP Statistics, since I have an interest in Psychology (but they don't offer it at my school)

What do you guys think?

you haven't started the course yet, right?

I suggest starting off with Math SL. After a few weeks if you feel Math Studies would be a better class to take, just drop to studies. But try your best not to drop.

And yes some unis do not accept math studies students straightaway for any courses without further consideration. An example would be Uni of Toronto.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't decide between Math Studies and Math SL. I like math and I'm good (though not great) at it, but I am most likely going to major in something humanities-related in college. What I do in the future will likely have nothing to do with math, but I do enjoy math. Should I take Studies or SL?

I can't decide between Math Studies and Math SL. I like math and I'm good (though not great) at it, but I am most likely going to major in something humanities-related in college. What I do in the future will likely have nothing to do with math, but I do enjoy math. Should I take Studies or SL?

Try SL first. Then if you can't survive, drop to Studies. But try to stay in SL. Some unis don't accept Math St students no matter what.

Try SL first. Then if you can't survive, drop to Studies. But try to stay in SL. Some unis don't accept Math St students no matter what.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if our school will allow students to 'drop' though. Is there a huge gap between SL and Studies?

Also, what do you mean some unis don't accept those who do Studies? As in the chances of being accepted if you did Math Studies are much, much lower, or that they won't consider you at all if you did Studies? How about if what you would like to pursue is not math-related?

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if our school will allow students to 'drop' though. Is there a huge gap between SL and Studies?

Also, what do you mean some unis don't accept those who do Studies? As in the chances of being accepted if you did Math Studies are much, much lower, or that they won't consider you at all if you did Studies? How about if what you would like to pursue is not math-related?

I think what she means is that some uni's don't see Maths Studies as a proper subject. Go with SL as suggested....it should be fine. If you wanted to go into medicine for example, maths studies is a definite no no. At least SL would be required, I think that if you want to pursue something which is not maths related at all in Uni, then Studies should be ok....although it's always best to check with the uni you've got in mind, as the policies of different uni's vary. Some don't recognise Studies, others do and are more than happy for you to go with Studies. I'd advise you to check with your uni first...although I believe that Maths SL shouldn't cause you too much of a problem.

Can you ask your IBC? It is usually allowed. Upgrading is the one that is usually not allowed. There is a huge gap between SL and studies. I can't tell you much about it though since I am not taking either of those classes.

Yes, what I said is true: some universities just don't accept Math Studies students, no matter what course they want to study. They are not even considered at all.

An example would be Uni of Toronto. Go to http://www.adm.utoronto.ca/adm-awards/admissions.action

Select "I'm a student from outside Canada"

Select "Education: IB"

Select "High School"

Select whatever course you want to study

Click "Go find my Admission Information"

The International Baccalaureate diploma including English HL or SL Prerequisite courses can be presented at either the Standard or Higher Level. Math SL or HL is required for programs with Math prerequisites. Math Studies is not acceptable.

I am sure I have heard that some other unis also don't accept Math St students. I forgot what they are, though. I only remember U of T because I want to go there :P

Anyhow I will still advise you to take Math SL for tons of other reasons. Trust us, just go for Math SL!!

There is a big difference between SL and studies. SL is actually more similarly structured to HL than studies. So yes, take SL to ensure that you have a wide range of universities to choose from.

If you are really struggling with Maths SL after say...3 months, then you could ask your teacher to let you drop. I'm sure they would much rather you take a subject you are comfortable with and can score than a subject you are struggling in.

• 1 month later...

Maths HL is pretty hard actually,

I start last year by maths studies with a 3.5 average and I move at the end of the year in standart with a 6 (I worked a lot) and this year I'm in Maths HL with an 5.5.

I had that grade in maths studies because there's no challenge.

I worked a lot to have an 5.5 in maths HL.

Good luck with your choice, it depend if you like challenge or not :P

So good luck with your choice :)

• kw0573 locked this topic