Type I - Lacsap's Fractions

vivo per lei

so this is the new task yeah? I want a copy of the full 2013 portfolios :panic: anyway...

I have also attained the same assignment and my biggest concern is how to figure out the general statement for the denominator

Always try to make a sequence first. Look at qn 5,

Let En( r ) be the (r+1)th elementh of the nth row, starting with r=0.

En(1): 1, 2, 4, 7, 11

En(2): 4, 6, 9

Don't you see any pattern there...?

Thank you very much I have figured it out now!

You did? How? I figured out the rest of En2, but what good does that do? How can putting it into a sequence help? and can you hint me on how to start En(3)?

Hi, I'm having a great deal of trouble finding out a general statement for the denominator. I know it is somewhat connect to formula for the numerator (n^2+n)/2, but I know of nothing else. Could anyone please give me a hint or guide me in the right direction? I would really appreciate your help :)

Haha sorry my explanation in post #16 was not clear enough. I was about to leave to school that's why I didn't have time to explain in long sentences. But I am sick, so I am now at home, not attending school lol. Anyway, look at the picture below:

oYy4W.jpg

Look at all the terms in the blue area and green area. The differences are all 2 (never mind the 11). The differences from the terms in the green area and red area are also both 3 (never mind the 9).

If you look at it from the left side, it's also the same. Look at the picture below:

q91jN.jpg

Same as above right? The terms differences between the 2nd and 3rd terms are all the same and the differences between the 3rd and 4th terms are both same too.

I think this should answer all dany94's, Trikey's and Jyoti's questions (posts #17, #18 and #22). If you are still in doubt just ask again!

What is meant by stating "plot En(1) against n"...what is 'against n' referring to?

Sorry, plot the denominator of En(1) against n is the same as Plot y against x. Meaning denominator of En(1) (i.e. 2, 4, 7, 11) is on the y-axis and n (2, 3, 4, 5) is on the x-axis :D

You did? How? I figured out the rest of En2, but what good does that do? How can putting it into a sequence help? and can you hint me on how to start En(3)?

The pattern is exactly the same. I think what I explained above should help, but if you still don't get it please do ask, I don't mind re-explaining in a different way ;)

• Like 5

Thanks that helped me get a better understanding, but the only thing I don't seem to understand is how to turn that into a general statement using ONLY the terms n and r. I have found denominator of E subscript n-1 +(n-r), and it works perfectly, but I can't seem to change that into terms of n and r.

Thanks that helped me get a better understanding, but the only thing I don't seem to understand is how to turn that into a general statement using ONLY the terms n and r. I have found denominator of E subscript n-1 +(n-r), and it works perfectly, but I can't seem to change that into terms of n and r.

i'm just wondering how n-1 + (n-r) works perfectly since for 10/7 it would be 4 - 1 + (4-1) ? maybe there is some simple thing im missing but i cant get it.. :no:

I have found denominator of E subscript n-1 +(n-r), and it works perfectly, but I can't seem to change that into terms of n and r.

i'm just wondering how n-1 + (n-r) works perfectly since for 10/7 it would be 4 - 1 + (4-1) ? maybe there is some simple thing im missing but i cant get it.. :no:

haha it's incorrect :P doesn't work "perfectly"..

I got a more complicated conjecture, pretty sure it works "perfectly" :P try to work it out yourself! if you are stuck or something just ask here, we will try to help you :)

The general statement applies to all row numbers and term numbers (at least it works perfectly for me). So, my question is what may be the limitations of this general statement. For example, should we try to do it with bigger numbers, or?

• Like 1

I found that the power function y=0.539x^1.89 is the best fit line of the data and it works as a general statement for the denominators of row 2, but thats all it can find. I put all of the n and r values in a table, but I cannot find a differnt general statement. Can anyone help lead me in the right direction? I made the table as suggested in post #25, but I cannot figure out how to get a general statement for each r value.

ohhh ok! I went back into my calculator and instead of power i got the a, b, and c values for the quadratic equations. I now have the GS for each r values. :D I found that a stays the same, b is subtract 1, and c is add 2 plus the previous number added excpet it doesn't work for r=2. i can only find a GS for the b and c value it says math error when i try to do the a values. how would i combine those 3 GS into one? Help is much appreciated. Thanks so much :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I found the equation for the denominator. It looks right but i can't seem to plug in the numbers and get the right denominators. What am I doing wrong? I found the equation by plugging in the tables for each value a, b, and to get an equation for each and then I combined them to get that equation. It looks right, because the a value stays the same. The b value goes down by one and the c value is the r value squared. I can't prove it though, Am I doing it wrong? Do I have to use both the row number and r value and if so which one goes where. Thanks for the help :D

Edited by glamwolf

Isn't it the numerator we are trying to find.

You need to find an equation for the numerator first and then find one for the denominator. I haven't finished yet, but I assume you then put the two equation on top of each other to get a general statement for the whole fraction. 8-)

@aangel

numerator first and then denominator. exactly what glamwolf said. :yes:

@glamwolf

first of all could you please remove that equation from your post?? :? thanks!

and yup you need to use both r and n, that's why I said the denominator formula should be in terms of r and n. :yes:

well what do you think, where to put the r? you need to think! think!! I can't keep giving you hints as I've given a lot of ones :P

think... and get it right!

PS. if you really really don't know, I'll try to guide you.