Type I - Lacsap's Fractions

vivo per lei

@dessskris

Oops sorry about the equation! :blink: Wasn't thinking!

I have been trying to plug in the numbers all morning and I just can't seem to plug them in right. I feel stupid, becasuse it seems so easy, but I just can't figure it out. Could you try to guide me?? :) Sorry if I am asking to much I am just confused and it just seems so easy.

• Like 1

it's okay :D just be careful next time!

note that I'm not doing this task for my IA, so don't worry I won't take your equations or plagiarise or whatever ;)

that's okay, not a problem :)

did you follow the procedure I suggested? if yes:

when r=1 you get an equation in terms of n.

when r=2 you get another equation in terms of n.

when r=3 you get yet another equation in terms of n.

etc.

then when you generalise the r, you get one GENERAL equation in terms of n and r. :)

do you get it now?

• Like 2

I've solved for the denominator, but I did it through graphing. I've been trying to figure it out algebraically and am having trouble, and so I was wondering, will I receive some sort of penalty or less points if I can't figure it out another way?

I seriously don't get how to do this. I have already seen the pattern for both the numerator and the denominator. I can't seem to get the GS for the denominator. I feel so stupid because it seems easy but I just can't get it somehow. :( I've been trying to figure it out for the past week, and I'm still stuck on the denominator thing. And this is already due tomorrow :( please, explain to me once again! Pleasee!

@missymai

No, don't worry, you will not be penalised on that. You are in Math SL, so they don't expect you to algebraically find the GS (in IAs type 1 that is)! :D While in Math HL, graphical method will not suffice and we need to prove every GS algebraically :( So you are lucky! ;)

@MJ Sison

I am not good at explaining things, but missymai and I were just talking about a hint: graphical method. You know, when you plot a graph and find the best fit curve with excel or GDC...

Do you know what to do now?

I seriously don't get how to do this. I have already seen the pattern for both the numerator and the denominator. I can't seem to get the GS for the denominator. I feel so stupid because it seems easy but I just can't get it somehow. :( I've been trying to figure it out for the past week, and I'm still stuck on the denominator thing. And this is already due tomorrow :( please, explain to me once again! Pleasee!

if you want help you could contact my tutor...**********... she guided me through it...

Edited by Mahuta ♥
No phone numbers please- Maha

I have done everything such as the tabulet of a against r etc. and got the three general statements but i know im close but i just cannot generalise r.

Could anyone explain to me what is meant by generalising i understnad that its making into "r" instead of numbers but....T.T

Thank you!

do the same thing as you did to generalise n, you can use exactly the same method as previous.

alright if you said you got 3 general statements of a, b and c, they must be in terms of r and you actually got the thing! have you tested the general statement?

Wait,what do you mean you solved the denominator graphically? I don't know if my way is graphically but what I did was find the equations for the element in terms of x using the calculator and the calculations under LISTS. From there it's pretty obvious what the general equation is looking at the equations given for the each element in terms of x. Is that what you did too?

7. Discuss the scope and/or limitations of the general statement.

I read your post on what limitations mean but what is the scope?

Wait,what do you mean you solved the denominator graphically? I don't know if my way is graphically but what I did was find the equations for the element in terms of x using the calculator and the calculations under LISTS. From there it's pretty obvious what the general equation is looking at the equations given for the each element in terms of x. Is that what you did too?

7. Discuss the scope and/or limitations of the general statement.

I read your post on what limitations mean but what is the scope?

I mean plotting it against n in your GDC and finding the best fit curve :)

well I do not know what calculator you use and how it works so I cannot tell if it is correct or not :S but if you got a general statement that you think is correct then there should be no problem ;)

the graphical method is not the only way to find the general statement..

limitation & scope are pretty much the same thing, I guess? I don't really know the difference but basically they are asking for the conditions in which your general statement is true. for example one of the limitations is n>0.

• Like 1

I believe this is a quite short thread compared to threads of the other IA tasks. please go through the whole thread, I posted how to find the denominator some time ago. I talked about numerator too, I think. please go through the whole thread, read all posts, think and try. if you still don't know how then ask again. I cba to retype the whole thing all over again...

Hmmm... It's hard for me to explain because:

1. It's mathematics

2. I suck at explaining

3. It's mathematics!

Which bit do you not get? My only suggestion for now is to open your eyes and see the numbers in a different way. If it helps, build two triangles from the nominators and denominators separately so you can see it better. Analyse the patterns and do the math. You need to concentrate... Take your time and think! Think! It's the key. Good luck!