Nervous breakdowns

wombat123

It's so ironic that I just found this today, because I totally had a breakdown the other day. I didn't finish one of my I.A.'s and I cried like, three times. :blowup:

Then I had to compose myself and talk to my teacher, who, thankfully let me turn it in a little later than normal. I felt so much better after I cried. :good:

I really didn't realize that I was holding in all of that stress until it exploded.

I have had nervous breakdowns, and sometimes when they are in the morning and I had some

serious bundle of homework to give in ... I would just break down...

But funny enough, after 5 minutes, I really realize that I have no time for sobbing like an idiot, and

I just finish the work (listening to some motivational music :P) run to school and hand it in and feel like I just conquered the world.

priceless. But, now I have kind of managed procrastination so I really hope there will be no or less breakdowns in the future..

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely had one of these my first month into junior year when all of my teachers decided nice time was over and real IB rigor was now starting. Yeah I'd been up two days and I was just sitting in my room thinking "I WANT TO SLEEP!!!" yet I still had tons of homework done that I needed to finish and 3 tests to study for. That's the only one I've really had though. I am not a very emotional person, I can count on one hand how many times I've cried in the past 7 years and that's one of them. I'm sure I've had plenty more as I think my "break downs" mostly present themselves through my insomnia... If I've been up for more than 2 or 3 days then usually it's because I am stressing out about IB stuffs. :P

Oh yeah, there were a few of us that ended up in the library with our coordinator. Mine happened right after my spanish oral, which i managed to fail and was devastated about. It also didn't help that within the next 4 days I had my IOC, my maths EE which i knew was at a complete dead end due, my TOK essay which I had to completely rewrite, 2 Bio and 2 Chem labs due and my final mocks coming up within a couple of weeks. Yeah I was a time bomb of stress that had to blow at some point. Probably was actually a good thing in the long term, made me have to change my EE subject for something doable in 2 weeks, completely change my TOK title and I ended up acing my IOC, or what could be counted as acing an IOC for me.

• 3 weeks later...

EE deadline + WL1 and 2 deadline + maths coursework + physics coursework + business coursework + film project and independent study + a month to do it all = at least 3 breakdowns a week :( the only thing that keeps me going is the thought of the end of May to the end of September being the time when I can finally relax!!

And I'm not alone either :/

I've yet to have my first real break down, I doubt it will happen in school my pride won't allow that. Everyone keeps saying organisation is key to keeping stress levels to a minimum, so I have created a timetable. I'm still IB1 and think it's harder to control stress when your teachers don't seem very competent... My cohort is the second year to take the IB at my sixth form so they're still ironing out some kinks... I'd like to thank you all in advance for any tips I pick up!

The first year was easy;

In the next three weeks, I have 10 700 words worth of assignments to hand in. Music SL Assignment (2000), ToK Essay (1600), EE (4000), English Written task A2 HL (1500), French A1 HL WL2

Oh my EE needs to be handed in on saturday and I'm at 600 words.

Ticking nuclear timebomb.

KEY TO IB ; ORGANIZATION

I learnt this lesson the hard way, and I'm now back on track.

Edited by Stanislaw

Well, when I was doing my psychology IA,

I literally spent EIGHT hours on the computer typing and re-typing and typing again,

and I think that the combination of lack of sleep and all the pressure got to me,

and when I finished the IA, I just cried. I don't know if it was from happiness, because the IA was done,

or because I was scared of the other things of IB to come. Like, more IA's. -____-

I have had some; I remember freshman year a teacher wouldn't take my work and I just cried for a period. Then, sophomore year you get tired of the people you're around and you're kinda immature so people started bullying (well just talking behind backs). Junior year got chill tho. The rents definitely give me nervous breakdowns whenever they yell at me since I don't take criticism well.

Panic attacks. Anxiety attacks. A.k.a, just overloads of stress.

I had so many of them but the worst one was a couple months ago. I was getting ready to present my English presentation and I was so nervous (like RLY nervous). A couple minutes into my presentation and my mind went blank and I stopped breathing. I literaly ran out of class to get my puffer (I thought I was having an asthma attack.) Then I realized I had just changed my bag and left my puffer in another bag at home. Great. So not only was I freaking out because I "Failed" my presentation, I was like "oh sh#@#T" I'm gonna die. Then the Ambulance came etc... (but it was all good)

But in the end, I think its because of that situation that I am much better at presenting in public now. Not the best, but getting more comfortable. I guess if you stop putting so much pressure on yourself and thinking your work is like a HUGE giant monster that's going to eat and kill you, it's not so bad haha. Everything is do-able! So keep going!

• 1 month later...

Hahaha funny this post show show up today...

March is like hell month in our programme. Also, i recently stopped taking my ADHD meds. So i cannot focus and i have absolutley no motivation to do any of my homework. So, in turn, i will probably be up in all hours of the night for this entire week because i have like 1700000000000000000000 things to do. Just thinking about everything i have to do is giving me heavy breathing...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *crazy eyes*

Oh dear. So so so many.

I cried in my HL Maths Paper 1 mock. It was incredibly embarrassing. Seriously, I cried in an exam. WHO DOES THAT?

Me, apparently.

You aren't alone mate. When I sat down to do my Physics exam and I still haven't turned the pages I started yelling and crying and ended up running out of the classroom. My teach ran after me and managed to calm me so that I could be able to write the exam. I got a 7 in the end, but that doesn't matter. The fact is that I started yelling and crying for no reason. Well, I was so afraid of the exam. Because I've had Maths and Business exam in the same day, just an hour before and I was freaking. I felt like the burden of the whole world was just set upon me, and I just bursted into tears. I was sooo scared of the exam results. My fear almost destroyed me XD. And all my chances of getting ANY grade in Physics :D. That was one time - I've learned how to relax now. I mustn't let that get to me. Now, before every exam, or anything I sing the theme song of Teletubies :D It helps me calm down and I feel greeeat after that :D, XD. Just wanted to share that.

• Like 2

A month ago I read this thread and I thought these things will never happen to me..well maths HL can change a person..XD

5 minutes before the mocks I had an energy drink (only god knows why) and so as soon as I sat down for the math mock I started shaking quite a bit. I mean I couldn't write my name without it looking like a 5 year old's writing. Took me a few minutes but I eventually managed to focus myself on the test which, in the end, still went horrible. :P

Nervous breakdowns... Stress, constantly on guard...

I had a nervous breakdown in October of my first year in IB. There were obviously a lot of other contributing factors, not all IB related.

I nearly committed suicide about a year ago, but since then I've learnt to listen to my body, when I can't study any more (like today) I just don't study. It's not good now that I'm this close to my exams but it is Easter break and i just can't...