IB Maths SL Paper 1

Vicki

36 members have voted

1. 1. Harder or easier than expected?

Paper 1 perhaps had a little too much calculus for my taste. I would have preferred trigonometry and probability, especially for Section B. Overall, I think it was a bit harder than the papers I had used for practice, but I didn't do it that bad either. I was a well-done paper, not what I expected, but I proved that I knew the course.

My guess would be that I'm up for a 5 in Maths SL, maybe 6.

I actually was pleasantly surprised. I found it to be pretty easy, but that's maybe because I much prefer calculus over any other topic.

Just a quick question to everyone:

With the question containing the equation in the form - gif.latex?a\sin(b(x+c))+d

Did anyone else notice that there was an extra set of brackets inside the sine function? Was I wrong to expand it out?

I don't know, just everything :P I'm really not that great at maths to begin with. And there were no 'give-away' questions like Series and Sequences or stats. I guess I could have studied a little more.. but I've always been much better at Paper 2's than 1's. At least it only counts for 40% :)

I thought it was really hard :/ I was so uncertain of so many things. Harder than all the exams I did for practice, and I went right back to 2007. Sad ChikkyD is sad

You too aye mate?

It didn't go well for me too. it was a lot harder than i had expected. Ended up running out of time and not being able to complete a 6 point question (the last bit to the sine/cosine graph question)

I don't know, just everything :P I'm really not that great at maths to begin with. And there were no 'give-away' questions like Series and Sequences or stats. I guess I could have studied a little more.. but I've always been much better at Paper 2's than 1's. At least it only counts for 40% :)

I completely agree with you, ChikkyD. I came out of Paper 1 thinking "oh crap". My maths teacher came and patted me on the back saying "Don't worry, you still have tomorrow!". I have consistently done better in Paper 2, and I thought Paper 2 was a lot more approachable that Paper 1. I would love a 4 for maths... I've been struggling all year.

yeah... i messed up the sine curve thing a bit because i thought it was a negative amplitude.

i had never encountered the tan 2 theta question either, nor the second part of the discriminant question where is was like -5<x<5 equal probability... did not get that.

the last question also it was a bit of a guess, because i never derived the fraction thing into a ln b. i think i just went 90 ln 4 or something. um... yeah hopefully i did ok. the rest of the questions were straight forward and easy

The last question involved integrating into the form gif.latex?a\ln b to get a final answer of gif.latex?30\ln 4

And the final question of that section was really quite difficult, but in the end I think I deciphered it - you needed to simply add gif.latex?30\ln 4 (or your answer to the previous question) to the 120 that it gave you :)

• Like 1

I actually was pleasantly surprised. I found it to be pretty easy, but that's maybe because I much prefer calculus over any other topic.

With the question containing the equation in the form - gif.latex?a\sin(b(x+c))+d

Did anyone else notice that there was an extra set of brackets inside the sine function? Was I wrong to expand it out?

You didn't need to expand it, but when you differentiated, you needed to make sure you chain-ruled the inside.

You didn't need to expand it, but when you differentiated, you needed to make sure you chain-ruled the inside.

Why wouldn't you need to expand it?

Isn't the general form gif.latex?a \sin (bx-c)+d ?

Was this to differentiate, or what? The actual answer?

Yeah, I think so :)

The general form is y= a sin b(x-c) + d which can also be written as y= a sin (b(x-c)) + d

so expanding it wasn't necessary.

That's what I did.. I just left it

The general form is y= a sin b(x-c) + d which can also be written as y= a sin (b(x-c)) + d

so expanding it wasn't necessary.

Actually yeah you're right! I've been mistaken all along and after thinking about it logically it makes sense XD