ITGS - General & Project Questions Here!

dandoon96

Official ITGS Thread!

Keep all General Questions and questions regarding the Project here please so that they're easy for everybody to find and read :)

Case Study 2011 -

Case Study 2012 -

Anyone take ITGS? Took ITGS?

Are there any good revision sources? As there are no Books! :S

How do you get a good grade?!

If 0% get 7!

God..i remember being in your position back in 2010..

Anyhow...Here's what I learnt after 2 years in the IB.

ITGS is easy especially for the technically minded. There ARE 2 books for ITGS. One is "Computer Confluence" (which in my opinion, is useless) and the other is "Gift of Fire" by Saara Baase. ITGS grade boundaries are usually pretty low (as in you can get a 6 with just 58% and a 7 with a grade as low as 70%). Anyhow, ITGS is a really cool subject and to do well:

-Read and keep up with the latest technological advancements from websites like:

http://www.redmonpie.com

http://www.lifehacker.com

-Practice writing answers. That's the key for a good grade.

I'll post more on the ITGS project and other things a little later.

Cheers!

The key is to read articles from magazines or newspapers to enhance your knowledge of the use of IT in global Society. As well to practice past papers regularly. Also, Focus on your project which is 20%.. Thats the only way to score really High and get into the 6 or 7 bands. Good luck!

This may be horrible advice... Just had my ITGS exam last week and noticed studying for ITGS is not the easiest thing. Basically, i had more than 300 pages of notes and prior to the exams did not bother to read over them since it was so overwhelming. Felt unprepared for the exam and had no idea what to do. Throughout the progression of the exam, i noticed how studying for ITGS was useless!. The subject requires that you firstly have a background with regards to technology and most importantly common sense! I noticed how all my notes were a waste because for some reason they felt like they did not help, however in the exam all i did was apply common sense and all 3 papers (HL) seemed to be easy. Im not saying don't make notes or don't study ITGS, basically my advice is that be attentive in class and rely on mark schemes!! IB start to get repetitive. Now im not quite sure how the new syllabus is or what it looks like because i was involved in the 07-11 syllabus, which i believe finished this year.

btw im not really a tech person and the book i used to make my notes is 'Tomorrow's technology and you' - i recommend it to an extent....

• Like 2

Well, after writing the exam the other day I can only really tell you what the last syllabus was like and not the new one.

1)Some stuff is common sense.For my answers in one of my papers,I relied a lot on experiences that I had had using computers.It wasn't really anything I had to learn from a book.

2)However,the most important thing is to know the social and ethical impacts of using technology.If you know about these,then you should be able to score more marks on questions,provided you have basic IT knowledge.

3)There are things that come up a lot in ITGS exams which you must be prepared to talk about when going into an IT exam.The system fundamentals and practical knowledge of databases,spreadsheets etc will help.I think things like artificial intelligence,robotics and models and simulations

4) Read articles about IT to get a good foundation of it concepts.

Thank you for your contributions.

Is there any up to date website with developments in technology thats related to the subject?

And you all did the project, right?

I'm really lost! i don't know who to choose as a client, what to do, our teacher isn't much help!

So please, if you could give me ideas, i'd really appreciate it.

And did any of you get a 6 or 7?

Edited by Jirashimosu
No reason to use a 24-font

Thank you for your contributions.

Is there any up to date website with developments in technology thats related to the subject?

And you all did the project, right?

I'm really lost! i don't know who to choose as a client, what to do, our teacher isn't much help!

So please, if you could give me ideas, i'd really appreciate it.

And did any of you get a 6 or 7?

I studied HL, so it was portfolios for me.

Well I'm a portfolio kid (HL) but I have a friend who did a project and it seemed really hard.I mean,sure its do-able but I'd rather be writing essays.(I like essays)

Getting a 7 isn't impossible.My teacher has had at least 1 in her teaching time.(hope I'll get one too :P )

If you do HL,you will probably get a good feel of what the subject is about since HL would require you to know more stuff.

That said,I'm not sure if it will really help you if you're doing the new syllabus,The only SL student in our year did similar stuff as us and it seemed like we were doing almost the same course.

• Like 1

Portfolio's have been stopped for students of May 2012 onwards. Thus there are NO portfolio's for us. I did however do an ITGS project. I did it on my school library. made a video tutorial for students showing them how they can borrow books and reserve it online.

Anyhow i think that YES you should join the HL class if it has a better teacher. And regarding universities... Universities in the US and UK both give credit for it. America more so since tech skills are valued fairly highly (my opinion).

I personally enjoy the subject.

Edited by Guest
Grammar + accurate info

hello guys :)

I am currently taking IB and one of my subjects is ITGS :"( , i need to do the project and i chose to do a database ,

tell now in our school we are just doing the documentation and still didn't start doing the product :S

i will use MS Access 2003 , as it seems easy to handle and use , my main concern how i will complete three advanced techniques??

wt sites do u recommend that will help me to complete my ITGS IA ( database )

thxs alot !

Edited by Bashar tobal
  • Like 1