A Guide to Tackle Down Paper 1

Procrastination

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much! This helped a lot! sorta new on this website. :3

I was wondering though, for question 3, how should we write it? (structure)

What i mean is that my teacher said that we should write 2 seperate paragraphs, one for similarities and one for differences...something like that instead of writing "Text a views x however text b views y" and so on...

And for question 4, she said we shouldn't have an intro (like in an essay) we should jump right down (get to the point) and start writing on the sources and our knowledge. Is that recommended?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks!! This is pretty helpful. :) I just have a question about Question number 2. How many compare and contrast do you recommend to write? My teacher said 2 compare and 2 contrast is save but if we write 2 compare and then 1 contrast (or the other way around) then it's good enough, too. But my new teacher said that we have to write 6 in total to get full marks....

Thanks!! This is pretty helpful. :) I just have a question about Question number 2. How many compare and contrast do you recommend to write? My teacher said 2 compare and 2 contrast is save but if we write 2 compare and then 1 contrast (or the other way around) then it's good enough, too. But my new teacher said that we have to write 6 in total to get full marks....

Write as many as you can find. There is no magic number, nor there need to be an equal balance in the amount of comparing and contrasting (unless the question asks you to provide a balanced account or something like that). However, you SHOULD be able to find at least three or four points for discussion in order to get 5 or 6 marks total. Perhaps they only agree on one thing but disagree on three others? Or maybe they are split 50-50 in agreement/disagreement. Just talk about it. Don't make points if you can't back it up just to have another point of comparison either, your teacher and the examiners know what's BS and what's not ;)

• Like 1

I'll hopefuly start IB this summer and after reading this I just got a lot more respect for History HL..

How do you manage this in 60 minutes?

At my usual Non-IB school we had 70 minutes for like half of this questions:/

You just have to divide up your time accordingly depending on what the question's asking you to do.

Before the exam, you get 5 minutes of reading time to look over anything you want. I'd suggest you spend this time reading your sources so as soon as you're allowed to write, you can begin without having to waste time reading anything.

Question 1: This is mostly comprehension, ideally this should take you only around 5 minutes to do.

Question 2: This is asking for a comparison and contrast. Maybe 10-15 minutes or so?

Question 3: This is your OPVL. This should take about 10 minutes.

Question 4: This is the mini-essay. You should spend the most amount of time here as it is worth the most amount of marks. You should leave at least a half-hour for this, and if you've found that you answered one of the other questions quickly you get even more time to spend on this section.

So 5 minutes + 15 + 10 + 30 = one hour. Which is the allocated time for this paper.

If you stick to this time frame it shouldn't be too hard to finish in under an hour. I've always been able to finish within the time limit doing this :)

• Like 5

I'll hopefuly start IB this summer and after reading this I just got a lot more respect for History HL..

How do you manage this in 60 minutes?

At my usual Non-IB school we had 70 minutes for like half of this questions:/

You just have to divide up your time accordingly depending on what the question's asking you to do.

Before the exam, you get 5 minutes of reading time to look over anything you want. I'd suggest you spend this time reading your sources so as soon as you're allowed to write, you can begin without having to waste time reading anything.

Question 1: This is mostly comprehension, ideally this should take you only around 5 minutes to do.

Question 2: This is asking for a comparison and contrast. Maybe 10-15 minutes or so?

Question 3: This is your OPVL. This should take about 10 minutes.

Question 4: This is the mini-essay. You should spend the most amount of time here as it is worth the most amount of marks. You should leave at least a half-hour for this, and if you've found that you answered one of the other questions quickly you get even more time to spend on this section.

So 5 minutes + 15 + 10 + 30 = one hour. Which is the allocated time for this paper.

If you stick to this time frame it shouldn't be too hard to finish in under an hour. I've always been able to finish within the time limit doing this :)

Thanks a lot!! That'll be really challenging, well, that's why I want to do IB.. :D

• 1 year later...

In the compare and contrast question should I do this both compare and contrasts both sources in the same paragraph or in 1 paragraph I talk about one source and in other paragraph the other? what does 'pararell compare and contrast' mean?

In the compare and contrast question should I do this both compare and contrasts both sources in the same paragraph or in 1 paragraph I talk about one source and in other paragraph the other? what does 'pararell compare and contrast' mean?

I wouldn't recommend doing either. Talking all about one source in one paragraph and then all about the other in the other won't score well. Typically the best approach is to identify several points that they're similar or different on. You don't need to have the same number of similarities as differences, especially for a compare and contrast question, but I'd aim to identify at least four points to discuss. Mention point of interest 1, and then state what the first source says about that point and then state what the second source says. So for example if I was doing a paper 1 and the question was something like "compare and contrast Source 1 and Source 2's opinions of Stalin's policies" and Source 1 said that his policies helped a lot and Source 2 said that everyone was dying and it was awful, I would write something like "Both sources also discuss Stalin's policy. Source 1 states that his policies were beneficial because the source states that "______." On the other hand, Source 2 disagrees and says that they were detrimental, stating that "______." This can be done in one big paragraph, or you could break it up if they disagreed on some things and agreed on others. You don't obviously have to mirror this approach, but discussing the sources separately isn't a good idea!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi,

i've uploaded my notes and summaries for History and Economics for IB and A-Level examinations here:

Among other topics, you'll find:

• The Arab-Israeli Conflict
  • The origins of the Cold War
  • Revolution in Cuba
  • Dètente between East and West (1962-1975)
  • The “Second Cold War†Renewed Tension Between East and West, 1975-1984
  • Vietnam - USA Containment in the Southeast Pacific
  • Fall of USSR (Part 1) - Gorbachev and the end of communist rule
  • Fall of USSR (Part 2) - The collapse of the USSR and the end of communist rule
  • The Sino-Soviet Split: origins and main features.
  • China - Reforms and Modernization After Mao
  • ECONOMICS: Government macroeconomic policy objectives and indicators of national economic performance

Hope you find them useful

• 2 years later...
On 11/24/2011 at 4:15 PM, Procrastination said:

Over time the reasons why photographs have been taken have changed. In the 19th century they were used to record an event, or document how someone looked, almost as if the photograph was a portrait painted by an artist. In many of these photographs the subjects have been posed and, whether we realize it or not, when we know that we are being photographed we change our behaviour or our posture. If, in a photograph, everyone is looking at the camera you can be almost certain that this has been staged. You must remember that the person taking the photograph is not neutral and has a particular reason for taking it. Why is the particular photograph above being taken? What is the photographer trying to convey to the intended audience? What is surprising to IB examiners is the number of times in IB source examinations students write that what a photograph depicts is an accurate representation of the events it is recording. The context of where and when a photograph is taken must also be taken into account when analyzing it. There have always been, and always will be, countries that censor what is published in newspapers or books to rewrite history. Just take a look to the way people use photoshop to manipulate photos right now! :D However, despite their obvious limitations, photographs do have tremendous value for historians in that they can document particular events better than many other sources. A picture of, for example, Hiroshima in August 1945 after the dropping of the atomic bomb on the city powerfully communicates to the world the devastation and destruction of the city.

wow i really enjoy this!

• 6 months later...
On 5/7/2018 at 4:45 AM, eeebeee said:

What would you recommend for number of paragraphs for the essay question? 

It really depends on the question. However, most of the time, I would usually stick with 3 body paragraphs (sometimes 4 if I have extra time left) coupled with the introduction and conclusion.