Further Oral Activity tips?

Hello IBsurvival!

first post, yay

I am taking Swedish A L&L(I assume this goes under the A1 forums), and our first real IB assignment is to do a Further Oral Activity. This seemingly is a very creative assignment, which I think is making it difficult. Our teacher gave us 5 headlines which in some way had to do with Language history in Sweden, as that is the country we are from and Swedish is language we are studying. Since the syllabus is the same for every language it does not matter at all in which language you have done it.

Anyway, me and two of my classmates have decided to research and lecture about the relation between language and power for an indigenous people in Sweden called the Sami.

To my horror it appears to be 0 threads on this type of assignment, and searching google doesn't help a lot either.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone with experience in Further Oral Activities could share their tips.

P.S. Bumping this thread by saying Welcome is OK too

I've finished my FOA! Here are some other pointers:

Conclusion

To avoid repeating yourself, write your conclusion based on:

• How successful you've been to the aim
  • How you could improve and show your understanding of the language because of that
    eg in my case, I didn't include some theorists ideas about female language because my advertorial should be predominantly persuasive, and I have identified that and explained that through the lack of this theory it shows my understanding
  • Have a concrete/obvious ending to your presentation - say something like "Thank you for watching"

Questioning of the teachers

Afterwards, the teacher(s) will ask you questions based on your presentation. This may be from "Why have you used the word ____ ?" or "Why have you contradicted so-and-so's theory?" This is an important part of the presentation too (it's not over yet!), as it shows how you justify what you've done and this part of the FOA could help you bring your mark up. (Don't forget, the teachers want you to get a good grade!)

• Justify everything they question you about - even if it's 'wrong', or it's 'silly' or 'stupid', don't be worried about it! It's whether you've justified anything the teachers throw at you, whatever the reason may be.
  • In order to justify anything, you need to have adequate amount of preparation to be able to answer. Or just bs, that's worked for some of my classmates too.

Now that I'm looking back on it, I wished I could've known how important it was to think about why we put that certain word in (the teachers really nitpick your piece) instead of putting it in because it sounds good. I wished I also didn't panic about being questioned, but also know that there is a last piece before it's all done:

Reflections

You are given a sheet where you have to fill in 600-800 words about how everything went. This too can help bring up your marks, as you can answer whatever you didn't say or answer properly in the questioning (which is what I'm going to do), and further show your understanding. This, if your piece if chosen, gets sent off to the IB moderators.

Good luck!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! Thanks so much for the tips :) I am presenting my first FOA on Jan 16, so this was really helpful!

I have a question though: Are we allowed to use visuals? I plan on using a PowerPoint presentation... but realized my teacher never specified whether we were allowed to use visuals or not. I have already sent my teachers a few emails, but still haven't gotten a reply...

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, I'm so sorry for the late reply! Forgot to check this after the holidays...

And visuals should be okay, I personally used images and a video clip in my presentation. I hope your FOA went well! Maybe you're writing your FOA Reflection right now, so here are some other pointers.

FOA Reflection

This is supposed to be an overview of how you think you did over the whole project. Reflect on what went well, and what didn't - make sure you identify what didn't go right, so you show understanding of what went wrong and <em>recognise</em> this fact. The reflection I think is supposed to be the FOA equivalent of the Writing Task Rationale, where the piece helps you bring up your mark but if it doesn't, your actual presentation mark won't be affected. Just a little bit of help to push your mark up. :)

Marks

• The presentation is out of 30 marks.
  • I'm not sure what the marks are for the reflection
  • Official grade boundaries have not been issued yet, so my school is using last year's Lit grade boundaries as an indication for what your grade is. My teacher thinks that the official Lang&Lit boundaries shouldn't be too different to previous English mark boundaries.

Edited by luz y sombra.
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I recently did a FOA on the representation of hipsters through tv shows and internet, it seemed to go well for me as i got 26, just make sure you have lots of examples and imbed your videos into the presentation so that you aren't muck'n around waiting for youtube to load. I ended by explaining what the representation of hipster showed about us and where the trend might go in the future, wider context stuff gets the marks. Hope this helps

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Finished my first FOA before the Christmas holidays in Chinese L&L.

What I learnt from my FOA

• DONT procrastinate (obvious yet we always seem to forget... my group ended up staying after school and then skyping continuously for five hours to produce our script)
  • DO seem confident and try to bring some humor/ entertainment to the presentation, after all the teacher and the class are going through a lot of FOAs and you mumbling just makes the suffering even worse
  • DO work closely with your group mates as it really shows in the presentation if you're unprepared or uncoordinated you become so much more nervous

I did my FOA in the form of a talk show, there was three of us talking about how hosts in Chinese reality shows abuse language to establish their power over contestants. Got a 27, wasn't half bad :) :)

Hands down to carpediem, great post

• Like 1