Biology EE : Apoptosis

piicloo

Just started my IB life in January and I've decided to do an EE in Biology. (I take Bio, Chem, Math HL and I figured bio would be easiest for me to get an A) I've been thinking of doing something along the lines of apoptosis in mammalian cells. Perhaps looking at how apoptosis is induced by certain chemicals or the links between metabolism and apoptosis.

Would this make a good EE? Will it be hard to carry out? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks :hug:

That's a very interesting topic :hug: .. But are you sure that your school has enough apparatus to carry out the experiments?

You need to narrow down your topic, for example, "An analysis of the lymphocytic apoptosis through the induction of.../ in a tumour cell / as HIV disperses.." "A study of the effects of introducing Drug X/ Chemical Y on the apoptotic function of..." It is very detailed and complex.. If you do it very well with enough analysis, you may earn the grade you're looking for (hopefully) :D ..

If you think you can, then go ahead. You don't really need to do an EE on a HL subject or something hard/complicated (I think that's what you've implied). Personally, I wanted to do an EE in Biology, but ended up doing one in Language A1 - it's not always the thing you like, it's the one you think you can get more grades in. :)

hey!
i too am doing an extended essay in biology. your topic sounds very complicated but all the power to you if you have the smarts to carry it out. i studied environmental biology. more specifically the effect of increasing salinity in the coorong (an australian wetland) on the abundancy of Ruppia Tuberosa (a plant life vital to the eco system)
my advice is get started on it early, plan it well and make sure that you have all the resources, support and equipment that you will need.