IB subject choices for Law

Maks123456

Eh hello!

I am about to make my IB subjects choice. I want to study Law after high school and these are the subjects I plan on taking.

HL

English A1

History

Economics

SL

ESS

Maths

Swedish B

However, I was advised not to take ESS because universities tend to like more traditional subjects. The person told me to take a science subject like Biology or Chemistry, instead of ESS. Furthermore, the same person said that I shouldn't take only humanities subjects at HL but take a science/math subject to balance it because they would develop analytical skills and universities actually like when people have these - mainly because they are considered more rigorous and thus indicate higher abilities.

My questions are:

1. Should I then choose Biology HL instead of ESS? I am good at Biology but not interested at all in it and am not too keen on taking it at HL. Also, if I however do decide to take it at HL, I would drop Economics to SL.

2. Should I take Math HL and drop Economics to SL, keeping my ESS SL? I am good at Maths yes, but I've heard that taking Math HL is a complete suicide and that has scared me.

Thank you in advance.

Well, don't take Maths at HL, SL is perfectly fine. And your HLs are similar to mine and I'm also going into Law. As you have History, you have your analytical skills there. Plus, History and English (don't know much about Econ) are both essay-based which is considered very beneficial for Law.

You might want to change that ESS if you think this may help. I've heard Bio SL is mostly memorising but as I hate Bio, I don't have any personal experience with it as an IB subject. :)

As someone who is studying Law, I say your choices are perfect (especially since 5/6 subject you've chosen are exactly the same as the ones I did in the IB).

In terms of ESS SL, there's no reason to change it if you're applying for Law in the UK. I did ESS SL and I got into all my Unis (LSE, King's, Warwick, and Sussex) and got an interview from Oxford as well. Unis in the UK only care about your HL subject choices, your SLs only exist to boost your overall score.

Also, there is no need whatsoever to take Science at HL, at all! It would be a waste, English is pretty much an unspoken essential at HL, History HL helps in terms of being a good essay-based subject, and Economics/Psychology would be a good third. Also this person who says that Science teaches you analytical skills which are necessary for Law is right, but I don't think this person realises that social sciences teach you analytical skills just as well, and those skills are more slanted and suited to the study of Law (which at the end of the day is 70% memorisation and 30% analysis). So yeah, History and Economics would be much more appropriate choices for Law.

If you have any questions about studying Law in general, feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to help.

• Like 1

Very good subject choices XD If you're not comfortable with ESS, go for biology or chemistry SL. If you are mathematical (and you said that you are) you may find physics SL pretty manageable; but bio SL is the easiest SL science in my opinion, followed by chem SL.

Don't waste time with an HL science; you don't need science for law. Don't worry about looking like you don't have enough analytical skills; even so, you'll get analytical skills from English, history, and economics HL. Only take an HL science if you really enjoy it.

Also, don't take math HL unless you are quite good at math and you enjoy it a lot. You don't need it, plus it's not an easy HL.

Your subject choices are good, stick with them!

One more questions: Should I change Economics for Psychology? Or just stick with Economics.

Like Sabs44 said, either Economics or Psychology is fine. Personally, I think you should stick with Economics because statistically, it's more likely you will get a 7 in Economics HL than in Psychology HL and you need to think in terms of IB scores because all the good Unis want at least 36-38 points minimum in the IB, so you need to boost your chances as best as you can.

Arrowhead.