Advice for Law Students

Arrowhead

Hey guys!

Some research websites that are going to come very handy to you down the road are as follows. Take a look if you want to see what law firms are like an dget opinions on them and such.

The Chambers Student Guide primarily for UK law firms, with some Barrister Chambers. Read the "True Picture" section for each for a very dry and honest account fo the law firms/chambers in question.

Chambers Associate is the same as above, but for US-headquartered firms.

Chambers and Partners Guide for law firms and chambers rankings across the world, based on practice areas and partner positions.

UK

USA

Europe

Asia

Latin America

Global

The following are interview material gold. How to keep up with what's going on in the legal community? Just glance through the following.

The Lawyer

Legal Week

The Times Law Supplement (you need to create a free account and login to access this)

Law Society Gazette

American Lawyer (Amlaw) Daily (this is if you're searching for primarily US legal news and information/updates)

If any of you aims to join the legal community, keeping up-to-date about it will only benefit you. The earlier you start, the more you will understand down the line. I hope this helps.

Best of luck!

Arrowhead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I don't have anything new to report nor advise, but I'm letting you know that most of the information you need for applying and understanding law is already in this thread. Consequently, I won't be posting here with random bits of information anymore.

If anybody has a question, feel free to post here and I will answer it. If you'd like me to suggest readings or articles of some sort for a certain area of law you're curious about, ask me, and I'll try my best.

Best of luck with applications and plans everyone!

Cheers!

Arrowhead.

Edited by Arrowhead

• 3 weeks later...

Woah, that schedule is hectic.

My question is - Which would you consider to have a greater scope ; International and Trade Law, or Corporate Law?

Well corporate law is one of the biggest spheres of practice in the world, international trade law is much limited in many respects. You're limited to those specific international organisations that operate in such trade. But at the same time, now that I think about it, ITL is an important aspect of international relations, governmental interactions and such.

I guess between the two, it would depend on how you want to approach one or the other that matters. Are you considering studying one or the other in great depth with the hopes of eventually starting up a career there? Or do you want to simply teach academia in those fields?

In practice, ITL takes much longer to establish yourself in and can be fairly transactional and bureaucratic, and corporate is quite similar really. They simply deal with different aspects of commerce. Corporate law is all about companies and their registration, interests, futures and shareholdings. ITL pertains more to governments and how they manage their affairs in those particular areas that are internationally regulated.

If you ask a more specific question, I can probably give you a better answer. Is there anything in particular about either that you're curious about? Or are you considering either as a future career possibility, and if so, what are your motivations for such consideration and what concerns are you searching for advice for?

Arrowhead.

I am considering taking up one of them as a future career, but I'm not too sure about which to pick as of yet. I'm not too great with Commerce in comparison with how i am with International relations... but my career choice basically depends on which has a greater scope. I am personally interested more in International and Trade law, but have been advised by many to take up Corporate law.

and another question is - what would be better? Doing my Undergrad in India (where i currently study, and where i am from) or doing it overseas? My career counselor, who is from USA and another counselor who is from UK, both told me that the Undergrad program for Law is quite overrated, and both studying law in India and overseas provides the same opportunities. For some reason, though, i wasn't convinced, so could you help me figure it out?

I am considering taking up one of them as a future career, but I'm not too sure about which to pick as of yet. I'm not too great with Commerce in comparison with how i am with International relations...but my career choice basically depends on which has a greater scope. I am personally interested more in International and Trade law, but have been advised by many to take up Corporate law.

Well, the study of law in either has very little to do with commerce nor international relations. Besides, it's much too early to make decisions of this sort before you've even commenced a law degree. At this point in time, you should just aim to commence your study of law with an open mind and take things as they come. Who knows? You might find that you like intellectual property more than the other two, or perhaps you have an interest in maritime law or real estate? Everything changes when you actually begin to study and then further on, when you see these things in practice.

I went into law school expecting to fall in love with criminal and hate contracts. The exact opposite happened.

As far as scope between the two is concerned, well it will be easier to get a job in corporate than ITL, or at least, a well-paying job. But even then, competition is fierce and it's very difficult to get a job in the lega community today no matter what you study or focus on.

and another question is - what would be better? Doing my Undergrad in India (where i currently study, and where i am from) or doing it overseas? My career counselor, who is from USA and another counselor who is from UK, both told me that the Undergrad program for Law is quite overrated, and both studying law in India and overseas provides the same opportunities. For some reason, though, i wasn't convinced, so could you help me figure it out?

Well, I do agree with your career counsellor that studying law at undergraduate level is quite overrated. You're much better of doing a degree in something else (if you're so predisposed) and then doing a conversion to law. With maybe a year or two of extra study, you will have 2 degrees, instead of just an LLB.

As far as studying abroad is concerned, you will have to study law in the UK (with the whole common law regime and the similarities in British and Indian law). But then again, that depends on where you want to settle/practice. If you want to eventually be in India and live there, then studying law in India is probably the best decision (if you can get into NLS Bangalore, that would be amazing for you!), but if you want to have an international focus in your practice, maybe work in the UK, Europe, Dubai or somewhere more exotic, a UK Law degree will take you a long way.

I know that I want to eventually practice and settle in India, but I also want to spend some time at an international law firm and get qualified abroad. Hence, I came to study in the UK.

A small point on International Trade Law: if you want to seriously pursue this line of work, you will end up working for the government or in the judiciary. To do the former (i.e. in a diplomatic position or similar), you should probably do an LLB abroad, if you want to be part of the judiciary, an Indian law degree will take you a long way.

Anything else, let me know.

Arrowhead.

• 1 month later...

Hey there -

I'm currently writing a personal statement for Law, but my main interest in the field of law at the moment is normative jurisprudence and political philosophy (stuff like utilitarianism, rawlsian justice, deontology etc), as well as stuff like positivism, naturalism, the Hart-Fuller debates etc. Basically the philosophical side of law. I was going to be a politics and philosophy applicant in the past, you see.

How much of a normal law course is composed of that material? For example at LSE.

And would it be advisable for my PS to focus on those interests of mine? I have no idea what the hell a tort, contract or whatever is. I'm basically just interested in jurisprudence, so I have no other side of law to write about.

Hey there -

I'm currently writing a personal statement for Law, but my main interest in the field of law at the moment is normative jurisprudence and political philosophy (stuff like utilitarianism, rawlsian justice, deontology etc), as well as stuff like positivism, naturalism, the Hart-Fuller debates etc. Basically the philosophical side of law. I was going to be a politics and philosophy applicant in the past, you see.

How much of a normal law course is composed of that material? For example at LSE.

And would it be advisable for my PS to focus on those interests of mine? I have no idea what the hell a tort, contract or whatever is. I'm basically just interested in jurisprudence, so I have no other side of law to write about.

It's okay to have an interest in jurisprudence, but I wouldn't focus the essay too much on that. The personal statement should maybe have a paragraph on that and then the rest should talk about your enthusiasm for law and your extra curricular achievements and such and how they relate.

At LSE, Jurisprudence is a compulsory third-year course and we don't touch on it (much) before then. It isn't a huge part of the syllabus, well 1/8th of your total grade classification here is Juris.

It's absolutely fine if that is the area of law that interests you, it shows an academic future which the professors at law schools obviously adore.

If you're going to talk about Hart, you should delve into some reading involving Dworkin and Perry. That would be almost natural for any budding jurisprudence student.

I hope that helped.

Arrowhead.

• 1 month later...

What sort of things do universities look at when you're applying for law? Are the extra-curriculars that you do important?

Well, anything related to the skills you need to study law would be useful. Generally, law school applicants have done debates and Moden United Nations. Some (who have the option available) even do mooting whilst in school.

Beyond these obvious extracurricular activities, any kind of writing/drafting experience would be helpful.

If you're aiming for the top universities, you better have at least one or two big Debating/MUN/something interesting championship titles under your belt.

Also, did you do an internship before applying to uni?

I did do an internship, two in fact. One in family law for a week and the other in commercial fraud for two weeks.

But having done an internship is not a necessity, a lot of people have no legal experience when they apply whatsoever and law schools don't expect you to have it either. It's one of those things that can only benefit you with its presence but not harm you with its absence. If you, for example, attend law lectures at a local college or something, or go to the Royal Courts or the Employment Tribunal of your own volition and simply observe for a day, that equally displays your enthusiasm for the law, as much as an internship.

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 1

If you're aiming for the top universities, you better have at least one or two big Debating/MUN/something interesting championship titles under your belt.

Darn, it's too late for me to join MuN and my school doesn't offer debating. Will this have a huge impact on me getting accepted into a good uni?

My current extra-curricular includes

• Duke of Edinburgh Award
  • Prefect
  • Teaching english to handicapped people
  • Editor in chief for my school magazine

I did do an internship, two in fact. One in family law for a week and the other in commercial fraud for two weeks.

How did you get the internships? Did you just write in to the law firm?

How was the internship(s)?

Also, on LSE's website, it says that candidates typically score A*s and As for their GCSE. My scores for iGCSE are 2A*s 3As 4B 1C

Will this have a negative impact? I'm really worried that my C for chemistry will prevent me from getting into a good uni

Thank you for your time

Edited by iamyourmum

Darn, it's too late for me to join MuN and my school doesn't offer debating. Will this have a huge impact on me getting accepted into a good uni?
Don't worry about it too much. This should be enough assuming you spin it the right way. As long as you can demonstrate how these ECs have helped you develop your abilities and skills as a future lawyer, that's all that matters.

I would rely more on being Editor if I was you. It was one of the things that I used when applying as well.

How did you get the internships? Did you just write in to the law firm? How was the internship(s)?
The family lawyer was an independent practitioner that my mum studied with at university when she was reading Classics. He happily gave me a week.

The commercial fraud litigator was my aunt.

That's really the best way to do things since it's next to impossible to get legal experience without any legal knowledge whatsoever. Otherwise, there are many law firms and barristers' chambers that offer 'shadowing' experiences to Sixth Form/Pre-University students in England. You can write to one of those programmes as well. If you want more information on these, let me know, but they're generally reserved for students studying in Britain.

The internships were boring because I had no idea what was going on at all. I was completely lost since I knew nothing back then. it was just something I had to do for my application and nothing more.

Also, on LSE's website, it says that candidates typically score A*s and As for their GCSE. My scores for iGCSE are 2A*s 3As 4B 1C

Will this have a negative impact? I'm really worried that my C for chemistry will prevent me from getting into a good uni

Yes, I'm afraid it will have a bit of a negative impact as far as LSE is concerned. LSE is very stringent about GCSE/-equivalent scores. It's one of the methods they use to sift through applicants for the more competitive courses. My ICSE grades, when equated to GCSEs, is about 8A*s and 3As. Most people who get accepted into LSE have a string of A*s and As at GCSEs. Getting into the law programme without that is quite difficult.

However, that doesn't mean you're barred from other good universities such as UCL, King's, Durham, Warwick, Southampton, etc.

• 2 months later...

OMG! This thread is da bomb! I already know tons more than I did 1 hour ago!!! Arrowhead, you're awesome! AND LSE!!!!!!!!!! :eek::surrender:

Can you tell me if doing extra certificates after school will help me with universities like Oxford/LSE/UCL/King's/etc? (Subjects in sig)

Also, what kind of ECs should I be focusing on? I currently do:

- Theatre

- Dance

- Choir

- Play Handball

- Write for the school newsletter and yearly magazine

- Lots of MUN and debates (I won a national debate tournament last year)

- Lots of teaching rural children over summer (because I love to teach...and the CAS hours are an incentive)

What else can/should I do?

Also (and I swear I'm not a stalker), but why are you doing a Master's when you already have a training contract? With DLA Piper!!

THANK YOU!!!!

Edited by I_Dream_Of_Law_School
  • Like 1

OMG! This thread is da bomb! I already know tons more than I did 1 hour ago!!! Arrowhead, you're awesome! AND LSE!!!!!!!!!! :eek::surrender:

Can you tell me if doing extra certificates after school will help me with universities like Oxford/LSE/UCL/King's/etc? (Subjects in sig)

Also, what kind of ECs should I be focusing on? I currently do:

- Theatre

- Dance

- Choir

- Play Handball

- Write for the school newsletter and yearly magazine

- Lots of MUN and debates (I won a national debate tournament last year)

- Lots of teaching rural children over summer (because I love to teach...and the CAS hours are an incentive)

What else can/should I do?

Also (and I swear I'm not a stalker), but why are you doing a Master's when you already have a training contract? With DLA Piper!!

THANK YOU!!!!

I'll try to help out a bit before Arrowhead gets here. My subjects and offers are in my signature, I've an offer from Oxford.

My ECs were:

• EYP
  • MUN
  • Youth City Council in my city (didn't actually mention it in the PS)
  • Moot court
  • shadowed a lawyer
  • tutored a 4th grader (didn't mention)

• Like 1

I'll try to help out a bit before Arrowhead gets here. My subjects and offers are in my signature, I've an offer from Oxford.

My ECs were:

• EYP
  • MUN
  • Moot court
  • shadowed a lawyer

Oxford.... :blowup:

:hail:

How did you get mock trial experience? Is that something your school organised?

Did you do a shadowing experience in Britain? I see your flag says Poland, so I was wondering.

THANKS!

Edited by I_Dream_Of_Law_School

My ECs were:

• EYP
  • MUN
  • Moot court
  • shadowed a lawyer

Oxford.... :blowup:

:hail:

How did you get mock trial experience? Is that something your school organised?

Did you do a shadowing experience in Britain? I see your flag says Poland, so I was wondering.

THANKS!

Moot court is something that is organised by a local university, there's a professor who used to be a lawyer in the USA.

The shadowing I did was in Poland, in an insurance company.

My LNAT score was relatively high for a non native, I got 30/42, with average being a bit over 21 this year.

• Like 1

Guest Positron

Ok, quite a random question (as usual, considering it's like midnight :P), but how much do you think UK unis would care about your hobbies when applying for law, if they are somewhat related to law? I'm pretty involved in my country's debating scene, and I've represented my country's best uni in some university level debating tournaments etc. Do you think they'd care, if I mentioned it in my personal statement?

Ok, quite a random question (as usual, considering it's like midnight :P), but how much do you think UK unis would care about your hobbies when applying for law, if they are somewhat related to law? I'm pretty involved in my country's debating scene, and I've represented my country's best uni in some university level debating tournaments etc. Do you think they'd care, if I mentioned it in my personal statement?

You need to link it to Law somehow, how the skills debating gave you will benefit you in the study of Law. :)