Which Chemistry Options do you take?

BIO-AQUA

Chemistry Options  

365 members have voted

1. 1. Which Chemistry Options do you take?

• A. Modern analytical chemistry
    • B. Human biochemistry
    • C. Chemistry in industry and technology
    • D. Medicines and drugs
    • E. Environmental chemistry
    • F. Food chemistry
    • G. Further organic chemistry

I do SL and my options are Environmental Chemistry and Chemical Industries. Easy stuff. Most of the HL people in my year are doing Human biochemistry and Further Organic I think, and I've heard them groan quite a lot about the former. I asked them why they had chosen it if they found it so hard, they said they had apparently been forced to - don't ask me why, there was some valid reason but I forgot.

I did the same as ES up there ;)

was easy as piss :) I studied both options the night before my external (pulled an all nighter) and did about 4 past papers on it.. and got a high 6 on that paper (needed 2 grades for a 7 on it..) so yea I think that's pretty good for someone who didn't care about the subject ;)

• Like 1

I have finished biochem and it was easy. One of my friends who did chemistry as an anticipated subject last year got full marks(as in 100% on paper 3) doing human biochem and Option A, so it can be done . My other option is Modern Analytical Chemistry which from what I have seen looks pretty easy.

Edited by Bandev

I have yet to choose them but I'm hopefully doing Human Biochemistry and Medicine and Drugs simply because they overlap with my SL Biology!

Same here.. :lol:

The Human Biochemistry overlaps with a lot of Biology HL material, but the medicines.. Only when it comes to Antibacterials and Antivirals me thinks. :D

Same here.. :lol:

The Human Biochemistry overlaps with a lot of Biology HL material, but the medicines.. Only when it comes to Antibacterials and Antivirals me thinks. :lol:

Yeh but Medicine and Drugs is just so cool, i couldn't see myself taking any other options, ESPECIALLY the environmental one! It's not that i don't care for the environment, its.............just.................so..............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Acid rain and all that!

• Like 1

Guest bennyb
Yeh but Medicine and Drugs is just so cool, i couldn't see myself taking any other options, ESPECIALLY the environmental one! It's not that i don't care for the environment, its.............just.................so..............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Acid rain and all that!

our school makes us do fuels and energy and modern analytical in HL and org chem advanced for SL as well as fuels

theyre not too bad but the other chem teacher offers medicine and drugs which seems like the best one there especially if you wanna do med

Guest yeemonkyaw

i take chemistry HL and the options chosen are biochem and environmental chemistry. yeahhh biochem is quiet esay because if you go through past papers, questions asked are quiet simple and nothing conventional......yeah i think dese two are the most easiest options of all.

Edited by yeemonkyaw

I've got both of them, and they rock my socks.

But really, they're great - they've each got pages in the Data Booklet too, and they are very handy pages for the memory cues. I found OB (Med and Drug) to be rather easy - it's mostly comprised of the Depressants, Stimulants, Antivirals, Antibiotics, Analgesics and what each of them do.

Biochem is a little harder, but great if you enjoyed Organics. I didn't, but I've liked that what we're looking at has applications RIGHT NOW. Carbohydrates, oils/fats, proteins, vitamins and hormones are the main materials.

The hardest Option will depend on what you enjoy, hate, and are good at. Considering we usually try harder at what we enjoy, I wouldn't choose Further Organics if you hated Organics, or if you found it really challenging. Industry involves a lot of memory work (as far as I'm aware) - so if you're good at that, or are looking towards engineering then this might be a good choice. I know that I personally would have chosen OB if I were given a choice, and biochem has been interesting, and repetitive - which helps with learning. If you're using the Green and Damji textbook it has a good section on OC.

I've got both of them, and they rock my socks.

But really, they're great - they've each got pages in the Data Booklet too, and they are very handy pages for the memory cues. I found OB (Med and Drug) to be rather easy - it's mostly comprised of the Depressants, Stimulants, Antivirals, Antibiotics, Analgesics and what each of them do.

Biochem is a little harder, but great if you enjoyed Organics. I didn't, but I've liked that what we're looking at has applications RIGHT NOW. Carbohydrates, oils/fats, proteins, vitamins and hormones are the main materials.

The hardest Option will depend on what you enjoy, hate, and are good at. Considering we usually try harder at what we enjoy, I wouldn't choose Further Organics if you hated Organics, or if you found it really challenging. Industry involves a lot of memory work (as far as I'm aware) - so if you're good at that, or are looking towards engineering then this might be a good choice. I know that I personally would have chosen OB if I were given a choice, and biochem has been interesting, and repetitive - which helps with learning. If you're using the Green and Damji textbook it has a good section on OC.

Wow! Thanks a lot. :) That would sure help! :yes:

anyone here of the new option for the 2009 candidates on food...? that sounded pretty interesting...

Food science?? That would be kinda cool, would make me hungry though and i would hate having chemistry before lunch!

I havent heard of it though, it would be interesting to find out if it is being intoduced, i might have done it!

I know that we do *components* of food in OC (biochem), and what the do to/in the body.

The official IBO site might be able to help you - or you could ask your co-ordinator for a copy of the Vade Maceum (spelling) if it's out yet.

I'm always surprised to hear that people actually had choices as to their options - the ChemFac (and all the other Facs for other subjects) chooses them based on the strengths and interests of the IB teachers. EVERY student in each IB subject is therefore also studying the same materials - which is very useful for help and revision.

... ignore that about the IBO site, it's completely useless. I can't find anything useful from the first three pages of a Google search, so I think it'd be a good idea to ask for an outline of that option from either the Chemistry Faculty, or the IB Co-ordinator. (And I'd be interested too!)

Edited by winter

So what would you guys say is the hardest option?? (So that I can try and avoid it!)
The hardest Option will depend on what you enjoy' date=' hate, and are good at[/quote']

above is true :yes:

I would've preferred doing something with calculations in it as I am better at understanding than memorizing, so if we did fuels and energy I would've been less miserable :) but most students say it's the most difficult option.

I think for the chem options the difficulty which teachers define, depends on the length of the option. Like my chem teacher told us further organic and medicine and drugs would be "difficult" because it's too long, hence would require more effort making it more "difficult"; but really if you enjoy studying that kind of thing it won't seem difficult.

Enviro was difficult for me because I despised it! lol but I got a 6 on that paper so meh :D

I'm always surprised to hear that people actually had choices as to their options - the ChemFac (and all the other Facs for other subjects) chooses them based on the strengths and interests of the IB teachers. EVERY student in each IB subject is therefore also studying the same materials - which is very useful for help and revision.

my chem teacher let us vote on it :) because half the class was taking Bio HL and the other half was taking physics HL, I was the only one not taking another science :) so she wanted to make us a favor and give us what ever would be easier for us :)