Frost, Road Not Taken or Mending Wall?

for my recorded oral for English I'll most likely get one of Frost's poems, - just out of curiosity, out of Mending Wall and The Road not Taken which poem do you think is the deeper, more interesting one? As in, which poem do you think you'd find most to talk about?

Edited by ~Lc~

I personally like the road not taken, mending wall was such a bore! I mean Frost talks about the most insignificant things in his poems it makes me wanna cry because I usually over analyze something which doesn't mean all that much and end up sounding far fetched ;)

but it really depends on which one you understood more ;) and found more interesting.

btw thank God I got shakespeare for my IOC! I would've gotten a 2 discussing a frost/wordsworth poem :)

To be honest I've only just read Mending Wall now. I think it's more abstract than The Road Not Taken, which is more straight forward, IMO. Do you get to choose? Personally I'd prefer to talk about Road Not Taken because I like it better. But in terms of depth and things that can be talked about, I think Mending Wall would win.

A pretty good essay on Mending Wall.

To be honest I don't much like Frost either. He's very long-winded IMO. But the irony is my favourite poem of all time is one of his. The Road Not Taken.

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening is pretty good too actually. That's it for me with Frost, I think.

Thanks for moving this to a proper thread, and for both of your thoughts. I think Frost is pretty cool, but maybe it was a mistake choosing his poems because although they're likeable he doesn't seem to have as much enthusiasm in providing all sorts of underlying meanings, morals and overly-abstract thoughts that one can analyze as much as he or she wants...then again, I'd probably do a better job talking about something I like rather that something like Keats' odes (especially not "nightingale" or "grecian urn", those are a bloody nightmare). Anyway, I've got my answer from both of you (thanks for the essay HMS)...we aren't supposed to get to choose but the teacher gives us hints - and my teacher has strongly hinted at these two for me.

I would have probably liked to do "Stopping By Woods.." but for some stupid reason it isn't in the anthology that was selected for us...I don't think so anyway.

yea stopping by the woods is ace! my fave frost poem actually.. other than that I think he's meh... I'm not really interesting in his poetry...

I find the IBO unseen commentary selection of peoms much more interesting than the group2 work poets ;) I guess it's because for group2 they're more of traditional poets, and the unseen it's usaully contemporary works.

Guest JustinaW

I don’t know why but I harbor a deep and unexplainable hate for Mending Wall…I’m not that big of a fan of the Road not take either… I much prefer Departmental, and Out Out.

Out Out is pretty good as well but it's a little bloody and depressing for my taste. Actually...most Frost poems are (depressing). I still have the essay I wrote on Out Out back in IGCSE. :D

I don’t know why but I harbor a deep and unexplainable hate for Mending Wall…

Maybe because it's freaking long and boring and hard to understand? :lol:

Not a fan of Mending Wall, simply because I don't like the message (!)

Hence, my preference would be The Road Not Taken. Think of the symbolism. If you've got the Oxford Study Guide for English A1 (if it's pink, spiral bound, and bloody expensive - that's it!) then it's good for dragging a meaning out of anything.

Personally, I like "Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening" - there are some good essays on it too.

In fact, reading some essays of Frost poems would be a good way of revising them, while also garnering ideas for the Commentary.

Guest AirRon23

Stopping by woods on a snowy evening is my favorite frost. I dont know why, its jsut the most calm and straightforward frost i think

Road not taken is too cliche for me, not enough there to analyze

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...