A simple question: Parameters/Constraints

Not Cliche

Ok so for the past hour, I've been browsing the forums trying to figure out what exactly is meant by "discuss[ing] any parameters/constraints."

A simple question.

I've reached three possible conclusions:

1. Parameters are numerical as in the constants related to a specific graph (e.g. the 'a,' 'b,' and 'c' of a quadratic function y = ax^2 + bx + c)

2. Parameters are the limits placed on the data (e.g. years cannot be negative).

or, the likeliest one;

3. Parameters/constraints are the actual physical limitations of the investigation. So if it were on Fish Production (which is what my investigation is on) it would be along the lines of ... (actually I'm still not sure).

Any help/advice would be appreciated in finally settling the matter (for me at least)!

Mooch-ahs

Grace-e-ahs

I'd say all three are correct but in this case it's probably the second one. I myself am not 100% sure what they meant by that because English isn't my first language but they do use the word parameter to refer to your first definition and that's actually right from what I've seen in textbooks, but then they seem to be using the word parameter to also refer to limitations.

strange.

I'd say all three are correct but in this case it's probably the second one. I myself am not 100% sure what they meant by that because English isn't my first language but they do use the word parameter to refer to your first definition and that's actually right from what I've seen in textbooks, but then they seem to be using the word parameter to also refer to limitations.

strange.

(A bit of a pre-text: I'm working on the SL Type II investigation regarding Fish Production)

This is actually off topic but I've also been going through a couple posts about finding a function analytically and I've found one of your posts with a scanned document dating back to about a year ago:

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/9033-type-ii-population-trends-in-china/page__st__260__p__99521#entry99521

I was wondering...

It seems as if the graph becomes a better and better fit as you use more points to arrive at the constants. With this in mind, for my IA I found a function (from a similar dataset) that is basically a polynomial to the eighth degree. Is this too extreme?

I mean, what I'm basically getting at is when is the best point to stop? If you consider that any number of points can be defined by a single polynomial, why should I break up a dataset into three different pieces (that is a piecewise function) when I could just find one really large polynomial that would fit all the points?

Sorry for the wordiness.

Thanks A LOT for all the input you've been giving me so far (if you'll recall, you also gave me some advice earlier on my EE... which I've yet to really decide on but oh well..)

(A bit of a pre-text: I'm working on the SL Type II investigation regarding Fish Production)

This is actually off topic but I've also been going through a couple posts about finding a function analytically and I've found one of your posts with a scanned document dating back to about a year ago:

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/9033-type-ii-population-trends-in-china/page__st__260__p__99521#entry99521

I was wondering...

It seems as if the graph becomes a better and better fit as you use more points to arrive at the constants.

that's right.

With this in mind, for my IA I found a function (from a similar dataset) that is basically a polynomial to the eighth degree. Is this too extreme?

nope. it's fine as long as you can justify its use (why 8th poly?) though the function's characteristics. the easiest one would be the number of stationary points.

I mean, what I'm basically getting at is when is the best point to stop? If you consider that any number of points can be defined by a single polynomial, why should I break up a dataset into three different pieces (that is a piecewise function) when I could just find one really large polynomial that would fit all the points?

good point. unfortunately the task paper does recommend you to combine some functions. if you still want to do a polynomial, then you MIGHT be seem as finding an easy way out, because modelling a 30th polynomial is easier than modelling three non-polynomial functions, even though it is more troublesome.

well then the solution would be:

1. you might point out that you can model an nth polynomial to fit all the points but you give the disadvantages and say that it's better to use a combination of functions.

OR

2. you might just go for polynomial.

just don't do both. they only ask for one. it's not like they would be happier or more impressed if you do both.

Sorry for the wordiness.

nah it's fine. better more explanation than short "PLEASE HELP" notices.

Thanks A LOT for all the input you've been giving me so far (if you'll recall, you also gave me some advice earlier on my EE... which I've yet to really decide on but oh well..)

you're welcome. wait, so you're in Maths SL and want to do a Maths EE??

hmmm. interesting...

you're welcome. wait, so you're in Maths SL and want to do a Maths EE??

hmmm. interesting...

Yeah, it just so happens that our school offers multiple programs (one of them being the IB program) and I happen to be in both IB and another program that places heavy emphasis on the sciences and math. Whether it's that doing so is just tradition or that it's required for the diplomas in both programs, most of the people in the past that have been in my situation opt to exit out of Math at SL (but the actual classes we're taking in Math go way beyond that).

Then again, I'm not sure I'll be able to come up with a Math EE topic/question in the next two days so I might just end up going for politics or world religions/studies... unfortunately.