Why is B&M considered a weak subject?

Because it's not seen as a traditional, academic subject. Most schools, if you're applying for business or marketing or something like that, would prefer economics and not business and management because economics is academic. Also, many unis see it as kind of pointless.

I have to disagree with you on visual arts being weak. Although not super academic, it's hard as hell score high in and requires so much work, both inside and outside of class.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree with you for Visual Arts being weak. In my school all the Visual Arts students are really hard-working and all aim to go to art schools.

Concerning B&M, I was wondering the same question.

At the beginning of last year I was quite upset that most unis won't give credits for taking B&M HL. But then I really liked the subject.

• Like 1

As the above poster said, it is not a weak subject at all. In my opinion, it requires a lot more understanding and application of knowledge you find everyday about business especially when it comes to the IA's. But I can assure you it's not an easy subject either, unless you're a business god. XD

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aastha

STOP categorizing group 6 as weak. for god sake.

it's just not everyones cup of tea, remember that. not everyone is born creative.

Its highly regarded in some universities as well.

and of course if you are applying for creative course in the college they will consider this subject high on others like economics, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I genuinely like the class. However, this girl I know keeps telling me that it's a pointless class and I resent it so much. I guess it's because it's not taught as formally as other subjects are and I've also noticed in a lot of the tests I have it's not simply reading and memorizing. Reasoning, application, and even common sense is usually needed in order to pass the tests.

People always dub "hands-on" subjects as less challenging and "weak" even though it's just a different aspect of learning and skill that's taking place.

Haters going to hate, homey. Don't worry!

STOP categorizing group 6 as weak. for god sake.

it's just not everyones cup of tea, remember that. not everyone is born creative.

Its highly regarded in some universities as well.

and of course if you are applying for creative course in the college they will consider this subject high on others like economics, etc.

WE are not saying that group 6 subjects are weak. The universities are. Ask Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, etc.

Believe me, if it is highly regarded by some universities then these are not in the UK. I have no information for the US so I cannot express an opinion on that.

Anyway, my humble view is that group 6 subjects are the easiest. You cannot compare it to group 1,2 3, 4 and 5 but of course you may disagree.

I do accept though that if you are applying for an arts related course then you should certainly take group 6 subjects.

By the way, the discussion on group 6 subjects is utterly irrelevant so either take it somewhere else (i.e. create a new thread if it doesn't already exist) or simply do not post about that issue here.

Guest Aastha

The art colleges regard Group 6 over other subjects like economics.

I do not know if you have/had been a group 6 student, but if not please do not call it the 'easiest'.

(oh wait i just realized you are an economics geek)

As I said, not everything is everyones cup of tea.

Sure, I'm sorry but I just felt like putting up a point there so i Did.

Edited by Aastha

• 3 weeks later...

its really not a weak subject i honestly think that you can compare it to any other more theoretical subject

it is just memorizing and sometimes you are asked to apply the theory to real life situations

economics just involves more maths

i dropped because of this from economics HL to B&M SL because it didnt offer B&M HL also because economics didnt have a good teacher and i knew i could do B&M through self-study

and Art.. well its the worst subject to take as a HL because you have sooooooooooo much work to do, i honestly think that universities underestimate this subject.

its really not a weak subject i honestly think that you can compare it to any other more theoretical subject

it is just memorizing and sometimes you are asked to apply the theory to real life situations

economics just involves more maths

i dropped because of this from economics HL to B&M SL because it didnt offer B&M HL also because economics didnt have a good teacher and i knew i could do B&M through self-study

and Art.. well its the worst subject to take as a HL because you have sooooooooooo much work to do, i honestly think that universities underestimate this subject.

I actually think BAM requires more practicality than abstract understanding of theory.

I hear these kind of arguments multiple times each week at school between IB kids and it's understandable. Everyone wants to be the one who suffers the most for some reason.

First of all, everyone should calm down with those hasty generalizations about "US schools" and "UK schools". By saying that you are referring to more than 4000 schools. Have you called every single one of them to ask about whether if they consider group 6 subjects to be "weak"?

Anyway, my humble view is that group 6 subjects are the easiest. You cannot compare it to group 1,2 3, 4 and 5 but of course you may disagree.

I personally disagree and wanted to express my perfectly justified reasoning here! I take Business HL and Art HL and I used to take Chemistry HL for 1 year (I dropped it to SL and raised English) and I can assure you that I struggled and suffered with Art as much as I did with Chemistry. Your bias towards ALL the other subject groups is most probably because all the lazy kids in your school took a group 6 subject instead of being a member of "the smart kids club" by taking 2 sciences! I used to get that every day until the day of my exhebition when everyone came to our group show and saw our work and turned the pages of our book. I didn't hear a single person saying "this crap is easy!" yet I heard so many people saying "holy crap, how do you do all this? how long did this take you?". And another reason is that I think you can't compare them at all. You never "study" for Art if you're talented but you have to work your butt off to get a good grade in a group 4 HL. In the other hand, you never spend multiple hours per day, for multiple weeks, just getting yourself dirty, pushing your creativity, researching styles and movements, and just making everything perfect. Art requires constant attention and work but a science can be learned. They are different and should not be compared at all.

WE are not saying that group 6 subjects are weak. The universities are. Ask Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, etc.

I think these schools are mainly law, business, econ schools and they have nothing to do with art, which makes mentioning them here irrelevant. World's best art schools such as Slade (UK), Goldsmiths (UK), Royal Academy (UK), Parsons (Paris), and so many other schools really care for your group 6 subjects. They want to see your work and how much you care and you can only show that by taking a group 6 course.

And about Business And Management I have to say that it's considered weak because it is yet to be evaluated by many schools around the world. IB Business and Management had no textbook before Paul Hong's book and the syllabus has undergone huge changes in 2009. AlI the schools I personally applied to, offer me credit for my 7 in Business HL and they are good schools. So I'm guessing that's the case with the schools YOU checked.

I feel like it doesn't matter if your university offers transfer credit for Business and Management or not. You don't get to skip courses but instead you get to pass the entry level courses with really good grades and just bring up your GPA since the depth and breath of Business and Management HL is just impressive. So you win anyways :D

Edited by Vincent Casey F
  • Like 3