Is Maths Studies enough for me to enter uni?

Vaon

Would maths studies allow me to get into an Australian University such as "Queensland University of Technology" or "University of Queensland"? I want to do international business, maybe even deans honours (you need an OP 2 or rank of 98 for deans honours), but I am wondering if Maths Studies would allow me to get into those courses (mainly deans honours)

I am not very good at mathematics, and I don't see how calculus and trigonometry would be useful for international business.

Plus, I heard that you can't get into university with maths studies from a teacher? On the website it says English is all you need, and maths A, B, or C.

You can get into university with Maths Studies. Call up your university and ask if you can get into your chosen course with Maths Studies. You'll be fine with your chosen course. Keep in mind that if you ever change your mind, you may be limited by doing Maths studies (eg no engineering, economics, etc)

Edited by timtamboy63
  • Like 1

I'd advise you to take maths SL. as said, maths studies limits you. You might want to change your coarse later on and with maths studies, it will be hard doing that. I am not good at maths either,,or at least thats what i used to believe. You dont have enjoy maths in order to do well in it. all it needs is a change of attitude. thats what i did and now i can say that i always get 7's and im close to top f the class. just do lots of maths questions,practise,practise,practise, simple as that!! :)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Sadly, unless you are doing engineering, studies is effectively the same as SL, very unfair in my opinion... there is no English Studies SL or History Studies SL why should maths be any different?!?

but places like Canada, you can apply for engineering if you have math SL and not HL. The only place which requires math HL is UK for engineering...

Wow, coincidentally I actually visited QUT a few weeks ago :) Anyway, maths studies should not affect acceptance into the Dean's Honours program from what I've read of their website materials - or so it seems. It seems to be chosen exclusively on ATAR, so you should be fine. If you don't like maths, you can steer away from the more mathematical sides of it in international business... not sure about gaming. But if you don't want to do anything harder than maths studies, it's not obligatory for university entry - but it may help if you do end up doing something needing lots of numbers.

• 1 month later...

Maths Studies is similar to Prevocational Maths in the QSA system so.... i would suggest sl maths rather than studies, business requires maths but anyway you wouldnt go into that much detail in calculus anyway in sl. I believe you should to SL as it wont limit your possibiilities on changing subject in uni if you dont like the business course. On top Maths Studies is designed for people who wont need maths in future so it tailors more of a every day lifestyle approach, usually for students persuing a Music, Arts, Creative future and career