Portfolio Type 1 -- Parabola Investigation

mGlala

Can anyone help me with the parabola investigation? I am stuck in number 5 and 6. Thanks!

Sl=x1-x2

Sr=x3-x4

D= abs( Sl-Sr)

5.Determine whether a similar conjecture can be made for cubic polynomials

6. Consider whether the conjecture might be modified to include higher order polynomials.

it's abs(-1/a) not abs(1/a) pplz

If you experiment with more lines and your parabola, you find that the conjecture is actually more general than D= (-1/x)

I REALLLY NEEED HELP WITH 5 ...and 6 I guess although i haven't even begun to consider it yet

my portfolio is due on monday (2 days)

I realize that D=0, and that can be found by doing (x6-x4-x2)-(x5-x3-x1)

but i don't know if that's the only way, or even the right way

and i can't really figure out what the conjecture would be

is it just always zero as long as SL and SR are present...i figured out that SM doesn't work out on its own, but as long as you have the intercepts for SL and SR you get zero

i just need help, or for someone to tell me if i'm at all on the right track

:)

• 2 weeks later...

ok im pretty sure i got everything right up to question 4. ... jbhasin... u seem to know what your are talking about...could you just define the new value of D for use please for polynomials of the third degree. Is it (x3-x2-x1)-(x6-x5-x4) or more like (x2-x1)-(x4-x2)-(x6-x5). What do you do with the extra two coordinates you get everytime the degree of the polynomial increases by 1?

• 4 weeks later...

What's the difference between Q2 and Q3?

The question state that 'Consider various values of a'...So does that mean that we need to make the vertex constant?

So if that's so, wouldn't the graph would only get smaller and smaller?

And in Q3, what's the difference between investigate and refine?

O, yes, another one, in Q3, do we need to change the vertex values as well?

real desperate right now....

ok im pretty sure i got everything right up to question 4. ... jbhasin... u seem to know what your are talking about...could you just define the new value of D for use please for polynomials of the third degree. Is it (x3-x2-x1)-(x6-x5-x4) or more like (x2-x1)-(x4-x2)-(x6-x5). What do you do with the extra two coordinates you get everytime the degree of the polynomial increases by 1?

yeah... i'm stuck with the same problem..

there will be 6 points of intersection. so can anyone define D????? =((

• 4 weeks later...
i'm doing this type as well...

i read the question before...

n i was told that we have to do it writtenly by hands..

typing is not allowed...

how bout u guys...?

first of all, you can type it ... mine ended up being huge ... forgot how many pages but well over 20

my conjecture sort of died at the end as i concluded that it was different for even and odd order polynomials and then for some reason i screwed up and my system for subtracting changed halfway .. .:ninja: still ... i did well

i got 18/20 on mine, but the IB hasnt released the actual answers yet so our teacher just gave us a prelim. mark

• 2 weeks later...