Portfolio Type 1 -- Parabola Investigation

mGlala

Well I don't know how you got D=0 for questions 5 and 6, and I hope you could help me. But what I am almost sure of is that it is much more accurate to used radicals rather than decimals in your calculation for SL and SR because you would be using the exact answer and you don't have to round.

Can anyone please explain find D a little for the cubics? It's certainly not as simpl as to subtracting all the S's, because then D=0, which is illogical. It seems one would have to find all the S's, divide the cubic in half (so find D1 and D2). But then what? Add them, subtract them? Modifying previous conjectures does not fit this, unless I'm so wrong about using |-b/a| (sum of roots) for |a|... Or perhaps my idea of D being a simple number is too far-fetched and there is no reason to expect number 5 to be harder than that?

I enjoyed the last portfolio, type II, but this with this graphing is being odd to me.

Edited by pinkseel

Same here I am really stuck on Q5 and 6. I also got to the point where D = 0 BUT it doesn't make sense, and I don't think that's a good conjecture. I think my biggest problem is finding the value of D for cubics. Anyone who knows please tell me here or email me. This is due the 15th we were given just one week to do it.. silly IB deadlines (3 deadlines on one day for me!)

• 3 weeks later...

If you think of questions 5 and 6 as being constrained by |SL - SR|, then you're going to have serious problems. You should examine graphs and intersections, use a real program to calculate your answers to exact values, then see what works and try to explain it. If you have root 3 in two of your roots, root 5 in two others, and root 2 in the other two, then it might be a capital idea to ensure that you cancel out the roots when you do the subtraction. Your job it to determine whether or not a similar conjecture could be found, so don't constrain yourself to the convention established earlier. Make your own, include quadrant 3, and then go for it.

• Like 1