Last years of syllabus are harder

Guest nicolefroio

Guest nicolefroio

In my school there's a rumor going round that the IB is about to renew its syllabus therefore this is the last year of the current syllabus which means that the exams will be harder than in the first year of this syllabus since the easy questions have been used up for the first years...
it makes sense to me because most of the last year's graduating IBs got scores they clearly did not deserve - they studied A LOT especially on past papers.

does anyone know if this is really true?

Guest nicolefroio

I don't know, this seems pretty solid to me because this was supposed to be a brilliant class of students and they didn't get the good grades they deserved...

and yes that's what I meant, that the ones before us took easier exams.

[quote name='nicolefroio' post='14492' date='Apr 5 2008, 04:12 PM']In my school there's a rumor going round that the IB is about to renew its syllabus therefore this is the last year of the current syllabus which means that the exams will be harder than in the first year of this syllabus since the easy questions have been used up for the first years...
it makes sense to me because most of the last year's graduating IBs got scores they clearly did not deserve - they studied A LOT especially on past papers.

does anyone know if this is really true?[/quote]

No, it isn't true. They review the syllabus to keep it modern or for pedagogic reasons. They won't 'run out' of easy questions - sure, some exams can seem easier than others, but in general the level of difficulty is similar, be it from the end or the beginning of the syllabus.

[quote name='chang9121990' post='14506' date='Apr 5 2008, 09:11 PM']As far as I know, the IB writes a bunch of tests when the syllabus is published and just pick random ones each session.
So I guess it's just luck?
Don't know whether this is true though, lol.[/quote]

No, it isn't. Exams for sessions are written about two years in advance to the session, not as one big entity. You can see this in e.g. Economics HL Paper 3 (SL Paper 2) which has data analysis. If all exams had been written at the same time, the articles would all be from the same time period. Instead they're usually about 2 years older than the session.