Does this make a good World Lit 1. thesis paragrpah?

crazian

It seems like if you are going to contrast the two novels. I don't know about your teacher but mine said that we are only allowed to compare two works, if it was within the same novel then you can compare or contrast. The reason why is because comparing is, obviously, more difficult but it makes connections. Are you going to be talking about the death of virgins?

Edited by rue saint-denis

[quote name='rue saint-denis' post='14582' date='Apr 6 2008, 07:36 PM']In the novels [i]The House of the Spirits[/i] and [i]Chronicle Of A Death Foretold[/i], the motifs of control and honor (better if you can find one word that fits both) support the theme of death.

It seems like if you are going to contrast the two novels. I don't know about your teacher but mine said that we are only allowed to compare two works, if it was within the same novel then you can compare or contrast. The reason why is because comparing is, obviously, more difficult but it makes connections. Are you going to be talking about the death of virgins?[/quote]

I think I made some connections, like how each book has murders associated with virginity, and the stigma of virginity is reflected in each book's respective government and society. I'm not going to talk about the death of anybody all that much, just how even though the two novels put virginity in a high place, they project different messages about it.

[quote name='rue saint-denis' post='14586' date='Apr 6 2008, 09:18 PM']Then it would go somewhere along this line: In the novels The House of the Spirits and Chronicle Of A Death Foretold, the motifs of control and honor affect the view of virginity.[/quote]

AAAHH thanks for your help so far :)
I was going to use the paragraph I provided in my first post as the intro, but then since I flushed my thesis out so much I didn't know what I could explain further in my body paragraphs.

So for my first paragraph I think I should use something like you suggested : "Then it would go somewhere along this line: In the novels The House of the Spirits and Chronicle Of A Death Foretold, the motifs of control and honor affect the view of virginity", then list my points (HOS society, HOS govenrment, CDOF society, CDOF government). And in my body paragraphs, explain more on what my into paragraph said.

Hi,

it's not a good idea to paste a complete paragraph of your WLA online, since it is then open for plagiarism / IBO plagiarism check, which also looks at IBSurvival site. If your opening paragraph is used by someone else / posted online, they'll consider it plagiarism and you won't get your diploma. If you feel like you want more help from, for example, rue saint-denis, feel free to PM her about your topic - don't risk your diploma by doing it in public :P

Joel
IBS Mod