University of Melbourne

You probably won't find out until around January of next year or if your applying for mid-year stransfer then you will find out in july (but this is only if you have already done half a year of study at uni already). The system here works very differently from the US and your final IB score is going to count the most. Now i'm from Sydney and in Australia we have slightly different education systems for each state (Syd- NSW, Melb- VIC) but i'm going to assume that its about the same. We get our final marks in December and then if you get a high enough overall score for a specific course they have to accept you. However these change each year according to the results (it scales so only 'x' amount of people get into a course each year) and they wait until AFTER people recieve their overall marks to 'set the bar' for whichever course you cant to get into (e.g. i'm aiming for a 36 because it will get me an equivalent result of 82.56 which will get me into my course at USYD). So your looking at about January next year for acceptance.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So what's the minimum score you need to enter Uni. of Melbourne engineering?

The University of Melbourne offers Engineering via a Bachelor of Biomedicine, Commerce, Environments or Science--you need to complete a major within one of those subjects. I think Environments might have the lowest Clearly-In ATAR score at 86.80 (Biomedicine requires a 99.00!). Are you eligible for Access Melbourne?

Here are the links:

http://coursesearch.unimelb.edu.au/pathways/4-engineering

http://coursesearch.unimelb.edu.au/undergrad/1508-bachelor-of-environments

• 3 months later...

So what's the minimum score you need to enter Uni. of Melbourne engineering?

The University of Melbourne offers Engineering via a Bachelor of Biomedicine, Commerce, Environments or Science--you need to complete a major within one of those subjects. I think Environments might have the lowest Clearly-In ATAR score at 86.80 (Biomedicine requires a 99.00!). Are you eligible for Access Melbourne?

Here are the links:

http://coursesearch....s/4-engineering

http://coursesearch....of-environments

This^

its really weird the melb model - but at the same time having a bachelor of commerce, mastering in engineering would be boss.

• 2 months later...

yeah, its weird how im mel uni they only offer engineering as a graduate degree...

when i start applying (next yr sometime) then i'll be thinking of doing commerce and then engineering

You can also take the BSc and select purely engineering subjects and this cuts a year off your MEng so you can be done and dusted in 5 years.

At Melbourne Uni, can you do something like a double major where you can take engineering subjects with commerce subjects at the same time...then do the MEng? Would that count as BCom or BSc? I want to go into business ultimately, but before that I want to become a chemical engineer... I know that they offer something like this at Syd Uni, but I'm not too sure about melb... :confused:

From a careers expo thing that I went to not too long ago, I found out that you can also finish a Bachelors in commerce and then masters in engineering in 5 years but first doing the Bcom undergraduate degree with engineering electives for 3 years then your masters in engineering in the next 2 years.

There are various ways of getting about it though, it does not have to be commerce but it's what I would prefer. It would count as a Bcom degree then a masters degree in economics...

• 5 months later...

What are the requirements for IB to get a scholarship (not necessarily a full one) for uni of melbourne?

There are no specific subject requirements for the scholarships I believe, unless you are applying for a subject specific scholarship. one of the most prestigious is the chancellor's scholarship, and it requires you to get a 45 in order to apply. for the other academic scholarships it is the marks that count. I suggest you also check the university website for details on scholarships as I am not the most reliable source of information.

WTF is IB, on 08 Nov 2013 - 13:49, said:snapback.png

What are the requirements for IB to get a scholarship (not necessarily a full one) for uni of melbourne?

There are no specific subject requirements for the scholarships I believe, unless you are applying for a subject specific scholarship. one of the most prestigious is the chancellor's scholarship, and it requires you to get a 45 in order to apply. for the other academic scholarships it is the marks that count. I suggest you also check the university website for details on scholarships as I am not the most reliable source of information.

Okat Thanks :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does Melbourne University offer Political Science, or just an International Relation? I want to get in, but I doubt myself, whether I can pass the requirements or not. My prediction last semester is 34/42. I know that it's not high, I wish I could do better next semester.

Does Melbourne University offer Political Science, or just an International Relation? I want to get in, but I doubt myself, whether I can pass the requirements or not. My prediction last semester is 34/42. I know that it's not high, I wish I could do better next semester.

Melbourne Uni doesn't strictly offer a degree in political science or international relations - I think you can just choose them as majors/minors in a Bachelor of Arts. Melbourne Uni publishes their clearly in ATAR for the standard BA as 92.35 - which after conversion is just below a 35/45 in the IB. So, unless demand suddenly goes up for the BA, you should be able to get in with a final IB result of 35/45, which you can hopefully get if you manage at least 1 bonus point and/or improve from your predicted grades. Also, just in terms of IB requirements, unless you're planning some kind of special entry, you'd be applying after your May exams using your final IB results. For the vast majority of courses, Australian universities completely ignore your predicted grades, and look solely at your final aggregate IB score as the single criterion for entry (aside from English language requirements).

Melbourne Uni doesn't strictly offer a degree in political science or international relations - I think you can just choose them as majors/minors in a Bachelor of Arts. Melbourne Uni publishes their clearly in ATAR for the standard BA as 92.35 - which after conversion is just below a 35/45 in the IB. So, unless demand suddenly goes up for the BA, you should be able to get in with a final IB result of 35/45, which you can hopefully get if you manage at least 1 bonus point and/or improve from your predicted grades. Also, just in terms of IB requirements, unless you're planning some kind of special entry, you'd be applying after your May exams using your final IB results. For the vast majority of courses, Australian universities completely ignore your predicted grades, and look solely at your final aggregate IB score as the single criterion for entry (aside from English language requirements).

Do you know any university in Melbourne which offer a degree in political science or international relations? I'm trying my best, I hope I could get the 3 bonus points and improve my predicted grades. Thank you for answering my question, anyway.