Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark

Gettn' IN!

For the USA

Is it true that it's a good bet to apply for a major that nobody wants to take such as Theology (so that your chances of getting accepted are substantially higher than if you apply for a popular major) and that as soon as you become a Freshman on campus you quickly change your major to something you want to study, i.e. Economics?

So in a way you cheat yourself into a good college and a good major

For the USA

Is it true that it's a good bet to apply for a major that nobody wants to take such as Theology (so that your chances of getting accepted are substantially higher than if you apply for a popular major) and that as soon as you become a Freshman on campus you quickly change your major to something you want to study, i.e. Economics?

So in a way you cheat yourself into a good college and a good major

LOL - I'm sure you don't think that the popular universities are that stupid. I am positive they have some sort of mechanism to correct that type of surreptitious applicant. But go for it and let us know how it goes :)

My gf actually didn't apply for a specific major, she just applied to the universities and listed her interests etc. So many people end up switching majors and/or minors that it's more that they have an estimated intake and then allocate them to different subjects using statistics or some ****.

Hope this helped even though it probably didn't :)

LOL - I'm sure you don't think that the popular universities are that stupid. I am positive they have some sort of mechanism to correct that type of surreptitious applicant. But go for it and let us know how it goes :)

My gf actually didn't apply for a specific major, she just applied to the universities and listed her interests etc. So many people end up switching majors and/or minors that it's more that they have an estimated intake and then allocate them to different subjects using statistics or some ****.

Hope this helped even though it probably didn't :)

I heared ''precisely'' that from a student who goes to UCLA (ranked 41st best in the world by THES as of 2007) go to http://www.theu.com/college_videos_view/th...a_academics_407 and between 0:44 to 0:52 of that video one student said that many students who come to UCLA take a major where they know that not many are going to pick that major and then have the intention of switching their major as soon as they get in

For the elite universities, applying to any specific major will not alter your chances of getting in unless you are applying to upenn, where wharton (the business undergrad school) is much more competitive. The same applies for NYU and stern. Therefore putting undecided on your application form is a good idea if you do not have and extra-curricular activities that reflect your future major.

Edited by Forester

Therefore putting undecided on your application form is a good idea if you do not have and extra-curricular activities that reflect your future major.

I didn't understand this. Do you mean we should also not put extra-curriculars into the application if we put ''undecided''?

No. It means that many colleges like it when you show 'passion' in a certain area, e.g. if you say you want to major in History you should also have extracurricular activities related to History, e.g. an internship at a museum or a summer program in History. Thus, if you like History but don't have the extracurriculars, it might be better to just say you're 'undecided' instead of saying you want to study History, but not demonstrating any particular passion in the subject.

Edited by Agneisse

No. It means that many colleges like it when you show 'passion' in a certain area, e.g. if you say you want to major in History you should also have extracurricular activities related to History, e.g. an internship at a museum or a summer program in History. Thus, if you like History but don't have the extracurriculars, it might be better to just say you're 'undecided' instead of saying you want to study History, but not demonstrating any particular passion in the subject.

Does researching certain pieces of history in your free time i.e. colonialism in China & Africa count? I didn't need these subjects for school, but I like usually just look into different parts of history for fun

Does researching certain pieces of history in your free time i.e. colonialism in China & Africa count? I didn't need these subjects for school, but I like usually just look into different parts of history for fun

though I don't know for sure, I doubt it. When they are looking for extra curriculars, I believe that they want to see you as a well rounded person, doing things with your time that involve interacting with other people, (such as volunteering at a history center or one of the above examples). You doing extra research is great, but I don't think that's what they want to know about in terms of extra curriculars.

(I might just be confusing this with what our CAS coordinator told us about CAS though... :) )

you can send in your EE as part of your application. If you are doing it in history.

you can send in your EE as part of your application. If you are doing it in history.

Seriously? Only history counts?? I mean, that's great since I am doing it in history

^ *shakes head* Were we this clueless when we were underclassmen?! Haha jkjk

It'll obviously be better if it's related to your FIELD. Your molecular biology profs wouldn't care if you did a huge thesis on the effects of US civil war on women's social status.

I do know someone who sent his Extended Essay to Princeton and Harvard and NOT Yale. Got rejected from Pton and Havard, currently attending Yale.

Just to scare ya =P

no...not only history counts...everything counts. Since the above posts were referring to history, I used history as an example. You can send in your EE if what you are majoring in is in that subject as well. It will definitely help.