Hello! I'm working on my IOP this summer and just recently committed to a topic. I plan on discussing the adverse consequences of alcohol usage on Fredrick and Catherine's relationship in Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms. I spoke to my English teacher and she agrees the idea is interesting, but reminded me that I must successfully tie the topic into a literary element. She suggested

...tie that to a literary element...such as a 'motif' that dominates the beginning of the novel when Frederic has no goals for himself, but that fades when his character become less self-centered as a result of falling in love with Catherine...

but I'm not quite sure I understand the connection. I would really appreciate any help understanding or perhaps other suggestions as to how I can present more in terms of literature than the presentation itself.

Thanks! :blowkiss:

I didn't read this book, but I think I understand what your teacher is asking you to do. What your teacher is suggesting is to try to tie your topic to literary features in the book. Usually this ends up being symbols/motifs or themes. Can you think of several instances in the novel where alcohol is present and lends itself to some sort of effect? Is the alcohol usage tied to a certain theme in the book, such as death, violence, oppression (these probably aren't themes in the book anyways, just go with it :P) Say in the novel there was the theme of "corruption of society" Does alcohol usage reflect that theme? Focus on how the author uses alcohol and the way it's presented and to what effect this has rather than just discussing every instance in the novel where alcohol ruins their relationship. I think that's what your teacher's getting at.

I'm sorry I couldn't offer any specific themes or examples, but I hope these general ones can point you in the right direction. :)