Help with "Circles"

JIB

Yeah our teacher said we can't use similar triangles.

Also, how should I begin writing this IA? Should I begin with a longg introduction introducing basic concepts/characteristics of a circle and triangle? (i.e., circle has radius, triangles length = radius). . . .

Also, for ppl whos written this IA, how many pages were sufficient in writing this? The math is too easy, but putting this together in a good way.. I really don't know what my teacher wants.

hell of course not. you're writing an investigation paper, not a textbook for primary school!

go with one paragraph of intro and then just start with the content. for more info please check out the Maths IA Tips in the Maths forum.

usually max is 25 pages (that's what my HL teacher says, not sure about SL) but I guess it should be more than 10 pages. well it depends on how many graphs&figures you have too.

Oh okay, thank you :).

Also, for anyone doing this circles portfolio,,,, the portfolio assignment sheet states that P' is the "intersection of C3 and OP." But does that mean if OP' was bigger than OP, then this would not be a valid answer because it defies the definition of P' being the INTERSECTION of C3 and OP? If OP' is bigger than OP, P' is NOT located ON OP .. its located further to the right. So im wondering if this is a limitation or if this is just a bad wording in the problem?

I asked my teacher but he is very reluctant to tell us anything...

hell of course not. you're writing an investigation paper, not a textbook for primary school!

go with one paragraph of intro and then just start with the content. for more info please check out the Maths IA Tips in the Maths forum.

usually max is 25 pages (that's what my HL teacher says, not sure about SL) but I guess it should be more than 10 pages. well it depends on how many graphs&figures you have too.

I told my GF who is in SL Math to do it with similar triangles. Well, she's pretty much screwed then... Everybody I know in SL did it with similar triangles! Nevertheless, I told her at the beginning that she could use an algebraic method with the circle equation, but she found it a bit complex for a SL Math IA. At least she's not the only one! We'll wait and see the result. :(

to everyone, you guys are allowed to use similar triangles.

but the first task clearly states to "Use a trigonometric approach to find OP', when OP=2, OP=3, and OP=4"

you lied. or your teacher did, as they gave you a wrong task.

the task says "Use an analytic approach to find OP'...". if you don't belive me download a soft copy of the task paper in the Maths SL forum, it's in a thread called Portfolio Tasks or something like that.

I told my GF who is in SL Math to do it with similar triangles. Well, she's pretty much screwed then... Everybody I know in SL did it with similar triangles! Nevertheless, I told her at the beginning that she could use an algebraic method with the circle equation, but she found it a bit complex for a SL Math IA. At least she's not the only one! We'll wait and see the result. :(

she's not, one is not required to use trigo.

Edited by Desy Glau

Also, for anyone doing this circles portfolio,,,, the portfolio assignment sheet states that P' is the "intersection of C3 and OP." But does that mean if OP' was bigger than OP, then this would not be a valid answer because it defies the definition of P' being the INTERSECTION of C3 and OP? If OP' is bigger than OP, P' is NOT located ON OP .. its located further to the right. So im wondering if this is a limitation or if this is just a bad wording in the problem?

it's good that you can see this. so now think: can the circle C3 intersect the straight line coincident with OP at the right side of point P? have you tried using different radii of C1, C2, C3? did any of it resulted in the intersection point being outside the line segment OP?

if P' can never be outside of OP in the first place, it's not a limitation because for all radii, P is never outside of OP. however, you might also want to discuss this and merely state the fact that P' is always inside OP.

it's good that you can see this. so now think: can the circle C3 intersect the straight line coincident with OP at the right side of point P? have you tried using different radii of C1, C2, C3? did any of it resulted in the intersection point being outside the line segment OP?

if P' can never be outside of OP in the first place, it's not a limitation because for all radii, P is never outside of OP. however, you might also want to discuss this and merely state the fact that P' is always inside OP.

No, but when r or OA = 3 or greater (but less than 4 which is the limitation) P' is OUTSIDE the line segment OP... So is that a limitation or no? Because doesnt it defy the definition of P' which says that P' is the intersection of C3 and OP...

to everyone, you guys are allowed to use similar triangles.

but the first task clearly states to "Use a trigonometric approach to find OP', when OP=2, OP=3, and OP=4"

you lied. or your teacher did, as they gave you a wrong task.

the task says "Use an analytic approach to find OP'...". if you don't belive me download a soft copy of the task paper in the Maths SL forum, it's in a thread called Portfolio Tasks or something like that.

she's not, one is not required to use trigo.

And nooo haha, it clearly states "trigonometric approaches" on our portfolio sheets.

It said "analytic approach" on mine as well!

When OP=3 the intersection is outside the circle and outside the OP but it is still considered an intersection with the extension of the OP, that's what my teacher said. Limitation is 4 as there is no intersection at all if OP is bigger than 4.

To find the OP' you can either use cosine and sine rules or name OP' as x and P'P as 2-x and work out the general formula using cosine rule first in the OAP' triangle and then in OAP.

It said "analytic approach" on mine as well!

When OP=3 the intersection is outside the circle and outside the OP but it is still considered an intersection with the extension of the OP, that's what my teacher said. Limitation is 4 as there is no intersection at all if OP is bigger than 4.

To find the OP' you can either use cosine and sine rules or name OP' as x and P'P as 2-x and work out the general formula using cosine rule first in the OAP' triangle and then in OAP.

But would that method neccesarily be the best way to RECOGNIZE patterns or structures for the general statement? I'm using the cosO ratio (adjacent over hypotenuse) for triangle OP'A, which is cosO = (OP'/2)/1 = OP'/2 cuz you can divide OP' by half which is the adjacent side, and the hypotenuse is OA which is always 1 for the first question. Then im plugging this in the cosine law of triangle OPA, where you can then easily solve for OP'.

By doing this isnt it also easier to recognize the patterns and general statements?

has anyone did the first step: "Let r=1. Use an analytic approach to find OP' , when OP=2 , OP=3 and OP=4"If yes, can you write the answers to check them together? Thank you :)

NO. nobody has posted any answer here and nobody will ever do so, because it's not allowed in this forum. any lazy lad (like you, maybe) can just ask this kind of question and copy somebody's answer, hence posting answers is prohibited. only hints are allowed.

@thebest, see everyone else's task says "analytical". it's just your teacher who has changed the task, which he really isn't supposed to do.

• 1 month later...

has anyone did the first step: "Let r=1. Use an analytic approach to find OP' , when OP=2 , OP=3 and OP=4"If yes, can you write the answers to check them together? Thank you smile.gif

NO. nobody has posted any answer here and nobody will ever do so, because it's not allowed in this forum. any lazy lad (like you, maybe) can just ask this kind of question and copy somebody's answer, hence posting answers is prohibited. only hints are allowed.

@thebest, see everyone else's task says "analytical". it's just your teacher who has changed the task, which he really isn't supposed to do.

Hey, do you know what technology works best for this circle portfolio?

What technology works the best to draw the circles?

yep, I use my TI GDC. geometry page. it's really awesome, and you can stretch the radius of a circle to see what happens if it's smaller or larger or whatever.

but if you don't like TI, I suggest using Autograph. it's the best graphing software :yes: well, after Wolfram Mathematica of course but that one is too sophisticated. try Autograph :) alternatively there is Geogebra.

• Like 1