Help with "Circles"

JIB

• 2 months later...

I am having difficulty trying to prove my general statement algebraically. I am wondering if i should try and prove my general statement by using the first general statement i came up with (when r=1 OP=2, 3, 4) or if it is possible to substitute variables into cosine and sine law(i.e. r, OP) to produce the general statement.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I think i have the general statement for the second part (r^2/2) but it doesnt seem to work when r=4. what am i doing something wrong. i get 90 degrees and then i get 2 45degrees n so my op' is 4. I realized my mistake now i have 0 degrees. however i get a math error when put into the sine law. why? please help me. i get 8 through similar triangles but i used trig for the rest of the stuff n tht worked so i want to be consistent. Can anyone please help me?

Edited by dish_network123

Hey guys, so I'm doing the limitations part and I need a little help. Is there any way that OP' is greater than OP, meaning, can the point P' be further away from P?

Ex: O------P-----P' or does it have to be O------P'------P? I know that OP' can be equal to OP but can it be longer?

Hey guys, so I'm doing the limitations part and I need a little help. Is there any way that OP' is greater than OP, meaning, can the point P' be further away from P?

Ex: O------P-----P' or does it have to be O------P'------P? I know that OP' can be equal to OP but can it be longer?

When r=3 and r=4 and OP=2, isnt OP' greater than OP?

When r=3 and r=4 and OP=2, isnt OP' greater than OP?

You're right! Thanks :)

Okay so I have all of my general statements for each step, and I even have the final general statement. I just cannot figure out how to relate the first two algebraically to get the final overall statement. Someone help please! :eek:

I don't remember really how i derived the final general statement but what i know is that, you have to first write down both statements (1st and 2nd).

Now what you can do is show how you derived second statement from first statement and then you have to derive final statement from second statement. A hint i can give you for the final statement is that if you have gotten (n+1)2/2 for the second statement, you can replace n+1 with something from the diagram really.

Tell me if you haven't understood what i've written. I did this months ago so i don't really remember well.

You guys, so I figured out how to get the answers of the length of OP' but the answers I got make no sense and I can't see a pattern at all. How am I supposed to write a general statement for that?! Now, I'm freaking out because it's due tomorrow and I still have to do the rest of the paper! Can anyone please help me?

In the first two parts where I explain my analytical approach, is it okay to use graphs made with Geogebra to explain it or does that count as using technology?

I actually used Geogebra for my use of technology, for the analytic approach I used similar triangles, and trig equations to verify. Got an 18/20 on this IA

• 2 weeks later...

You have to use the cosine rule to find the angle of POA, you then draw a line from P' to A and because the lines AO and AP' are the same length it is a isosceles triangle thus the P'OA and AP'O will have the same angle. This is the angle that you found using the cosine role, as it hasn't changed, then you use the Sine rule to figure out the length of OP'.

You then repeat this process for the varying changes in length.

The angle POA (P'OA) is of the same value in both triangles

Edited by Callum Rudig

I used the cosine and sine rules as well as Pythagoras rule, however my teacher told me that it's not really an 'analytical approach', that I shouldn't be using geometry but instead functions. She said that she doesn't recommend me submitting my essay because she doesn't think I'll get a high grade, is this true?