For people interested in business and economics

Avan:)

Hey,

so my question to all people out there who are interested in business (management)

and economics: What are your career plans/goals? What do you want to become?

I found this question interesting, because the "business world" in general is such a huge, vast field

and hence is a very vague term... :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You need to find out yourself. I can tell you that I like marketing and corporate management but maybe that is nothing for you because you are more into accounting and controlling. It's about personal preferences, I think.

The good thing about studying business and management is that you can set your preferences during your studies. If you go into science, you will need to decide if you want to do biology, physics, chemestry, etc., at the beginning of you university time.

I'm studying business and management now and I can get an impression of all the different fields of management such as marketing, corporate management, accounting, HR, logistics, commercial law, macro- or microeconomics or even business mathematics. After two years of studying you can then select the subjects, that you want to explore more deeply.

You also need to decide what kind of management is interesting for you. The "normal" business management, or maybe real estate management, automotive management, tourism management, event management or even aviation management. Maybe in some decades we have more fancy stuff like Mars Management. Who knows...?

First of all you should come up with an aim. Where do you want to be in 20 years, for example. Then think about how you can get there.

I want to become a banker for the vast benefits such as bragging rights, high pay, beautiful suits, increased dating chances and being able to pay off debts. :shifty:

You make me wanna puke. Become a banker because you actually like the concept of being it and not because of the reasons you listed above.
  • Like 1

I want to become a banker for the vast benefits such as bragging rights, high pay, beautiful suits, increased dating chances and being able to pay off debts. :shifty:

You make me wanna puke. Become a banker because you actually like the concept of being it and not because of the reasons you listed above.

What other genuine reasons are there to become a banker then?

Edited by IanSurvive
  • Like 1

@IanSurvive: provide people with the tools they need in order to make their dreams possible (ie. loans).

All you guys should be come government accountants, working for the government to discover and fix loopholes in the system so that businesses and individuals can't avoid paying taxes.

Edited by dniviE

Honestly, I think that's quite uncalled for because I find your rationale immature. "Actually liking the concept of being a Banker." How much do any of you "actually" know about being a banker, really? Nothing. Until you've studied finance, etc. and actually completed a vacation scheme at a bank/government/NGO/hedge fund/etc., you will never really know what "the concept of a Banker" is.

So I would say that at this stage in your life, if flashy suits, good pay and a good lifestyle attracts you that's good! This means that you have ambition! Therefore, when the time comes, and you realise how hard it is to have that kind of lifestyle, hopefully you're ambition will push you through, or you will really push to find out what your real passion is.

I don't see much attraction in getting up high in the financial world, lots happens and really unless you know some people and families already there you're going to have a bad time...

I don't agree with that. Certainly, I'm sure having contacts in the right places would help any career, but one can make it pretty far up in the financial world with pure talent and intellect. There's always space at the top for the intelligent, after all.