Example economics essays (paper 1 and 2) examples

Hey,

Does anyone know where i can find worked examples of economic HL essays that got perfect or 7 scores? I am talking about paper 1 and 2 (and evaluation for 3) where style and structure and even language can make a difference to your grade.

Take my class for example, we have 20 people in it with the exact same teaching and lets assume exact same knowledge/revision. When given a practise test we write the same amount. The only difference between individuals is the WAY they write they write the essays. And the mark each person gets can still vary from 4 to 7

I've complied a small mental checklist of what i have to do in the 10 mark questions, it goes something like this:
-short intro
-definitions
-examples
-body - theory with labeled graphs and explanation
-short conclusion

My problem is i am not good at putting them together.

SOO... Does anyone know where i can get examples of these essays? Is there some kind of example the IB gives out to teachers to help them mark? I need them!!! Or has anyone uploaded their essays? An ideal situation would be to have essays on all the components so after i revise a topic i can read 5 or 10 of these essays to back up my revision.

thanks,
wezx

P.S. i am also looking for such things for english standard level

Edited by wezx

I do DEEDE

Define
Explain
Example
Diagram
Evaluation

Seems strange to give a diagram before the example like some of you suggested. I like to give an example and then use a diagram to illustrate the example. This way the diagram is given a context before it's shown. Just how I do it.

example: monopoly

A monopoly is a single seller/producer of a good in a market. It has high barriers to entry and heterogeneous goods. An example of a natural monopoly is a railway system. The startup costs for competing firms are very high and getting permits to lay new rail is time consuming etc. Because a monopoly is a single seller and hence has no competition, the firm can choose to limit output in order to gain abnormal profits as shown in Figure 1.1.
[DIAGRAM]
Abnormal profits can be used for R&D, monopolies can take advantage of economies of scale [diagram] provide a lot of employment opportunities. However they can also exploit consumers, cause externalities and allocative inefficiency. etc.

My advice: do whatever works best for you as long as it comes off as coherent and ultra-clear :yes:

btw. I have a transcribed copy of my friend's mock exam for Paper 1 and Paper 2. I have to ask him first if it's ok before I upload it though, so check back later.

Edited by blindpet

• 2 weeks later...

same here
all the advices above are extra helpful
but i'm still not sure about the structure. specifically, do i need an introduction, a body part and a conclusion like any other essays?
i would really appreciate if anyone shares an sample essay
thanks a lo

[quote name='student' post='16429' date='May 11 2008, 09:06 AM']same here
all the advices above are extra helpful
but i'm still not sure about the structure. specifically, do i need an introduction, a body part and a conclusion like any other essays?
i would really appreciate if anyone shares an sample essay
thanks a lo[/quote]

no, get right to the point. there is no time for stuff like introduction or conclusion. Start by defining what they ask for in the question, for example AD and LRAS, and then go on to write according to the hints given in the previous posts.

• 1 month later...

Guys! The papers and markschemes are for sale on the IBO Store website. It's like 1.50euros per paper or markscheme if i remember correctly. (For paper 2 and 3 just get markscheme as the questions are written in the answers anyway)
That will give you the best idea of what they're looking for... straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

• 2 months later...

Have you written your commentaries yet? The format is pretty much the same. What should happen when you finish the course is that you can distinguish the theory behind any economic event, then analyze and critique/evaluate it.

Paper 1 is pretty straightforward as Q a) is explaining the theory as Q b) is evaluating.

Paper 2 is more or less in the format of the commentaries - there is an article, from which you are to provide definitions, graphs, and an evaluation. All this is based on the premise that you are able to distinguish the theory behind the article.