Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ivy1994

Are we allowed to use "I" in our EE's?

Questions says it all really.

Are we allowed to use the word "I" in our EE's?

I'm writing about how the essay question applies to me and I've used it quite a few times already....

IB rarely cares about what you think... sorry for being harsh - but in most subject EE guides it says, "Your opinion is rarely relevant here".

1 person likes this

The EE is a formal essay, so if possible, can you try to omit any I's in your writing? I don't think they would penalize against it, but it looks a lot better to write "Shakespeare's writing was an important precursor for many later authors and playwrights" than "I believe Shakespeare's writing was an important precursor for many later authors and playwrights." Plus by writing the sentence in your EE you're already giving your opinion or stating its relevance, so you can omit any "I believe"s or "I think"s.

I used "I" in my essay, but only once or twice in the introduction. You could use "I" to explain how the topic is significant to you (I did). Try to avoid using it after that though. Don't overuse "I" since like Emy Glau-ski said, it is a formal essay and they will mark you on the quality of the language used.