How many hours did you spend on your long term project?

Hey guys,

Just wondering how many hours everyone spent on their long term project.

Everything else seems to be coming along fine except my long term project hours.

I've even done consistent reflections for everything else except that. That doesn't go to say I haven't done any. The reflections are just not very consistent.

I'm not a 100% sure what you mean by long term project, but I have had one project going on from the first semester of IB1 which I hope will continue til the last semester of IB2, but I change the amount of hours I will be spending on the project (each week) each semester, so the first semester I spent 8 hours each week doing it, the second semester I spend 6. I think I will only spend 4 hours the next semester and so fourth, so I feel like as long as its a consistent project, the exact hours don't really matter that much? So far I have achieved over 150 hours for the project (I think), so it's not really necessary that I do that much extra anyway I don't think..

Hey guys,

Just wondering how many hours everyone spent on their long term project.

Everything else seems to be coming along fine except my long term project hours.

I've even done consistent reflections for everything else except that. That doesn't go to say I haven't done any. The reflections are just not very consistent.

My long term project was one I started in the beginning of IB1 and stopped it a little before my final (IB2) exams. So, overall it was 3 hours/week for the two years of the IB program but I've known people who were committed to their long term projects much less. For instance, you could start a service activity (mine was soup kitchen) and go there for two hours every two weeks (if you're too busy) and just try to keep it up for more than a year. You don't have to be 100% committed but try to keep up with it. The idea of this project is to show that you are engaging in CAS activities for more than just to fulfill the IBO's requirements. My suggestion is to find an activity which you actually enjoy (like playing a sport or going to the gym - if you're the athletic type) and stick to it but don't do it because you're forced. Otherwise you'll eventually give up. Best of luck.

I'm not a 100% sure what you mean by long term project

While the main point is to fulfill the 150 hours of CAS, there are a few more things you have to do based on which your CAS coordinator will eventually evaluate your performance. One of these is to show consistency with at least on activity. I was told by my school that I need to engage in at least one activity for more than a year in order to meet that requirement. That is the "long term project" the previous user is referring to.

I'm not a 100% sure what you mean by long term project

While the main point is to fulfill the 150 hours of CAS, there are a few more things you have to do based on which your CAS coordinator will eventually evaluate your performance. One of these is to show consistency with at least on activity. I was told by my school that I need to engage in at least one activity for more than a year in order to meet that requirement. That is the "long term project" the previous user is referring to.

That's exactly what I thought she might be talking about, but I have heard a lot of people say it isn't necessary. My long term project isn't as impressive as yours, but I still find it challenging (going to the gym consistently) but so far I have only completed both semesters of IB1, and still have IB2 left. I went a bit crazy on the first semester though and had 8 hour for almost every single week of the entire semester, and I'm thinking of reducing it to 4-6 hours for IB2, but that still counts as a long term project simply because it is a consistent project right? I remember my CAS coordinator saying that it would be an advantage to have a long term project but all I hear from other kids these days is that it's a complete waste of time. What happens to people with CAS portfolios only consisting of single events here and there?