Group work - yay or nay?

Ruan Chun Xian

I know one of the factors to success in IB is teamwork but I absolutely DETEST it. No one works at the same pace with me (I either work incredibly slower or incredibly faster) so I can't find that "equilibrium" with anyone around with me. I especially hate working with friends because it's hard for me to protest against their ideas. But I'm working on it. <_< We get bombarded with a crapload of group stuff in IB afterall. :dash:

Edited by greaterthaninfinity

Nay!! I work a lot better when I'm alone. When you're in a group some ideas are ruined. Plus, it depends who you're working with, if you get hardworkers with you it's a lot better. But unfortunetly, most of the time the teacher chooses for us and she balances the groups for fairness.

Yay!

Learning to work in a group is very important when thinking about your future. Sure, there are some people out there whom with you'd rather not work, but I think that just shows that you and them have to learn a bit about groupwork.

Plus, working in a group usually stimulates people to be more accountable and diligent!

• 3 weeks later...

i've recently completed the Group 4 assessment- and i am against group work.

totally, utterly and without question.

i wil do it without complaint if i have to, but i always breath a sigh of relief after it is done

so many traumas, bitching and clashing of personalities

hypocritical comments..etc

at least if you do badly in an individual project you can blame yourself- in gourp situations you can't blame anyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I despise group work. I find it so unnecessary! What always happens is that one person only wants a B or a C (and therefore doesn't care about doing the work well), and the other one who wants a better grade ends up having to do most of the work by herself (which is usually me). I also hate when teachers pair you up with people you know are way dumber than you and who you know will not do anything productive, and then, when the group's work gets an A+ (or A*), the teacher congratulates the person who hasn't done anything and tells them how much they've improved.

I think I will make the uselessness of group work my EE topic. I find it a fascinating topic, I seriously want to prove all those teachers who say that two brains are better than one wrong. It never works like that.

i hate group work!

it seems like im never paired

with another 'smart' person.

cuz teachers like to spread us out

with the dumb kids

like its gonna make em smarter.

the only group im happy with

is my tok presentation partner,

bhavika!

she's smart.

half of my math class is retarded

so i dont want any of them.

english isnt so badd,

but theres like two really dumb ppl

who ask the dumbest questions.

;/

ughh,, cant wait til senior year,

when they drop out[:

For the most part: Nay. Extremely nay. Nay nay nay.

In IB, most of the instances where I have worked in a group, the group work has been shoved upon me. I get really tired of it, but I feel like no one else will do it if I don't, and then we'll all get bad grades just because no one was pulling their own weight... Now I have a mentality that no one's dependable, and I usually try to do everyone's work even before they can start disappointing me. For my psych IA, the group I was with did nothing, and I was the one contacting teachers and asking permission to use their students as samples in our experiment, and the one creating/purchasing materials. So yeah, nay for group work, since most of the time I am stuck with people who don't care or who do care but don't feel like working.

There has only been one time when I was in a group that worked really efficiently, and it was a great experience since we were all striving to be the one person in the group who did the most work... The project came out perfect because of such great team work! And it was fun! But again, this was only one instance out of about twelve. So I still say nay, for the most part.

• 1 month later...

i have a really bad memory, so forgive me if i've already commented on this- it does sound abit familiar

Group work just does not work for me. I'm both dominant and laid-back, but if i get someone who is too dominant or too laid-back, the opposite half-side of me just enflames and i get really frustrated at them, me and the situation

I love and hate group work for two main reasons:

I hate group work for two main reasons:

1) I usually do all the work because my partners are either incompetent or expect me to do it

2) The work is often graded as a whole were the people's work is neglected

I love group work for two main reasons:

1) Its great when you have to do a big load of work and there are people that can do some of it

2) I love working with people!

I also love group work when studying for something because in most cases, I memorize/study something incorrectly, and my friends/study mates are there to correct me, test me, etc. Group work in studying is also great because everyone benefits.

yay and nay.

if it's good INTELLECTUAL people than YAY! i'd love to work with them and hear their opinions and stuff

NAY if they're slackers or sit there and do nothing.

but it really does vary on what type of group work your doing...like say if it was doing some kind of assessment together then i wouldn't be so keen on it...in almost every instance there's one slacker who goes: "oh,they're smart, they can do all the work" and just SITS THERE and drags everyone else down with them >insert rage/ranting<.

This obviously depends on the group... and some subjects -_-

Sometimes, it is very good because many people can work together and learn from each other, this is what the teacher says anyway. I don't always agree with that but I rather think it is good because we get some variety in the way of learning which is very important.

In the language subjects for instance, I prefer to work on my own because that gives me the chance to do everything as I want it. I feel laguages are the easiest subjects I have so there is really no point in woriking in groups.

Chemistry: nooo! I dont want to be alone on labs!

• 2 months later...

It really depends on the group.

If I get to choose my group, more often than not, I'm not too upset about group-work.

When the teacher chooses a group, it's a completely different thing.

Mostly though, I like working on my own.

Mainly because that way I get to do everything my way (& do it right:P) :blink: