Group work - yay or nay?

Ruan Chun Xian

I've never been a fan of group work. I guess it's selfish, but I only really ever saw it as other people being able to bring down my mark. I'm always the one who ends up doing the majority of the work, and pulling everyone else's mark up because they don't have the same standards as me. It's gotten slightly better in high school though, since we usually get to choose our own groups and I try to pick people who will pull their own weight.

Meh. I'm not opposed to it, so long as the other members of the group are sufficiently motivated to pull their own weight.

I remember this in particular was an issue for quite some time...especially back in junior high. I would be placed in these groups where everyone pinpointed me as "the smart one", and essentially let me do all of the work. One one hand, I actually preferred it to be that way, as I could ensure that everything was completed to my satisfaction. However, it was freaking stressful. Once I got myself into IB, this problem was kind of alleviated, because everyone had similar work ethics (on the whole, anyway). So now, I'm mostly okay with it.

But. I still firmly believe that if you want something done right, you do it yourself. :P

It depends on how confident you are and how your group is. In my group 4 project, we're doing a really fun experiment and I get along really well with the people in it, so that's great. If the groups members are really uninterested and bored, it's less fun...

Also, if it's a difficult task, you do want to be several to be able to help each other out.

I can deal with being a group but I dislike it overall. It is too much effort trying to communicate with others and it can get SO irritating even with close friends. The only time I'd like to be in a group is anything to with speaking to an audience then the support feel is good but other than that nooo.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say Yay but only if the group is 3 or smaller. Communications just get hectic if there are more than that, and it also depends on who the people are and what subject. If its Tok? its a definite YAY!!!!!!!!

Group work always= yay in TOK, otherwise there's no way I'd come up with enough to say. Besides, we get graded individually and if the other person goes off on a tangent/hasn't prepared, it doesn't affect me at all.

IHATEGROUPWORK

when i used to never.

in my english group for example, we had a few presentations to do and so on.

all of them were fail cases. they cant even be considered as "group work" when only two people were doing everything. once we met over at this guy's house, and three out of five of them were going about how orange juice looks yellow. and they laughed about it for an hour straight. and im not even exaggerating. the other guy and i were typing the whole thing, rehearsing our presentation, managing the time etc while they were going on about some orange juice looking yellow.

my group for the group 4 project? we dont even HAVE a topic yet. i know what i'm going to do, i just don't know what substance we're doing it on. and i wasn't even appointed a leader to the group. and what's their excuse? WORLD LITERATURE ASSIGNMENT. MATH PORTFOLIO. LAB REPORTS. if i'm not mistaken, i'm responsible for two WLA's (which i've finished), a math HL portfolio, and lab reports for HL Physics and SL Chemistry. i'm sorry that the world doesn't revolve around them all of a sudden :D

group work is excellent with other types of people, though. for example, the four of us who sit up in front are by far the best students. and we work together for math sometimes, and we've worked together for TOK and everything went fantastic. we even got the highest grade :)

so i guess it still depends.

• 2 months later...

I'm not opposed to group work.. I just 'use' it when I'm sick of studying on my own in terms of study groups. In terms of classwork, I don't like group work because I'm fairly independent, and also others tend to make me do all the work and then take the credit for it. Which really pisses me off.

Groups work I think only works when we get to pick groups ourselves rather than the teacher picking the groups which usually lands me up in a group full of slackers. But then again, for small projects group can be fun as there opportunity to interact and get other opinions. However, for major projects, I prefer to work alone as I can set my own timelines and the quality of work will always be up to my standard.

• 4 weeks later...

Both, yay and nay.

Group work lets you communicate through problems with other people and sometimes it is very helpful. Although there are times when group work is terrible because the group members are either not organized or expect one person (or everyone else except for themselves) do all the work. Although when the group members are able to communicate with each other wisely and divide the amount of work each person does, then it is great! :P

Group work could be great at certain subjects where you need to hear a different opinion. For example history, world literature and others.

But mostly for science subjects it does more harm than good, as the only good thing you can get out of it is an explanation at something you hadn't understood. But this is something your teacher should do not a friend.

Also your friend may explain it poorly and as a result you'll end up more confused.

So I vote for BOTH, yay and nay :P

Edited by Smid1345

Group work could be great at certain subjects where you need to hear a different opinion. For example history, world literature and others.

But mostly for science subjects it does more harm than good, as the only good thing you can get out of it is an explanation at something you hadn't understood. But this is something your teacher should do not a friend.

Also your friend may explain it poorly and as a result you'll end up more confused.

You just totally stole my answer! haha :(

Oh wow, I just found this which I find extremely interesting:

Benefits of group work

Good group work has great potential for the following reasons:

• Students are encouraged to become active rather than passive learners by

developing collaborative and co-operative skills, and lifelong learning skills.

• It encourages the development of critical thinking skills.

• It requires the establishment of an environment of support, trust and co-operative

learning can be nurtured.

• It promotes student learning and achievement.

• Students have the opportunity to learn from and to teach each other.

• Deep rather than surface approaches to learning are encouraged.

• It facilitates greater transfer of previous knowledge and learning.

• The focus is on student centred approach to teaching and learning, and

assessment.

• Students are involved in their own learning.

• It enhances social skills and interactions.

• Learning outcomes are improved.

• Large numbers of students can be catered for and work on task simultaneously.

• Interaction and co-operation on a micro scale is facilitated thus decreasing a

sense of isolation felt by some.

• Quiet students have an opportunity to speak and be heard in small groups thus

overcoming the anonymity and passivity associated with large groups.

• Teaching, learning and assessment options are increased.

• Teaching effectiveness and efficiency increases, and as a result there is

increased enjoyment of teaching by staff (and students).

• Students get the chance to work on large projects (larger in scope or complexity

than individual tasks).

• Students from diverse backgrounds are provided with the opportunity to be

heard, share experiences and skills, and to participate in unique ways (may

provide a new perspective).

• It can save time and requires a shared workload.

• Alternative ideas and points of view can be generated.

• It provides a structured learning experience that can prepare students for the

realities and diversity of the workplace, working with people with different skills,

cultures, approaches and from different places.

• Students develop and practice skills in: decision making, problem solving, values

clarification, communication, critical thinking, negotiation, conflict resolution, and

teamwork.

• The opportunity exists to nurture and develop Graduate Student Attributes.

• It makes the Unit of Study challenging, interesting, motivating, engaging, and fun

(for everyone)!

You just totally stole my answer! haha :(

Oh wow, I just found this which I find extremely interesting:

Benefits of group work

Good group work has great potential for the following reasons:

• Students are encouraged to become active rather than passive learners by

developing collaborative and co-operative skills, and lifelong learning skills.

• It encourages the development of critical thinking skills.

• It requires the establishment of an environment of support, trust and co-operative

learning can be nurtured.

• It promotes student learning and achievement.

• Students have the opportunity to learn from and to teach each other.

• Deep rather than surface approaches to learning are encouraged.

• It facilitates greater transfer of previous knowledge and learning.

• The focus is on student centred approach to teaching and learning, and

assessment.

• Students are involved in their own learning.

• It enhances social skills and interactions.

• Learning outcomes are improved.

• Large numbers of students can be catered for and work on task simultaneously.

• Interaction and co-operation on a micro scale is facilitated thus decreasing a

sense of isolation felt by some.

• Quiet students have an opportunity to speak and be heard in small groups thus

overcoming the anonymity and passivity associated with large groups.

• Teaching, learning and assessment options are increased.

• Teaching effectiveness and efficiency increases, and as a result there is

increased enjoyment of teaching by staff (and students).

• Students get the chance to work on large projects (larger in scope or complexity

than individual tasks).

• Students from diverse backgrounds are provided with the opportunity to be

heard, share experiences and skills, and to participate in unique ways (may

provide a new perspective).

• It can save time and requires a shared workload.

• Alternative ideas and points of view can be generated.

• It provides a structured learning experience that can prepare students for the

realities and diversity of the workplace, working with people with different skills,

cultures, approaches and from different places.

• Students develop and practice skills in: decision making, problem solving, values

clarification, communication, critical thinking, negotiation, conflict resolution, and

teamwork.

• The opportunity exists to nurture and develop Graduate Student Attributes.

• It makes the Unit of Study challenging, interesting, motivating, engaging, and fun

(for everyone)!

Hehe I'm sorry :(

Posting only the positive facts about group work is not fair, I'll try to find any negative ones just to equal it :(

Here is a blog where they also discuss whether group work is good or bad : http://unbalanced-reaction.blogspot.com/2008/09/group-work-good-bad-or-just-ugly.html

I kind of liked it as you can see some of the experiences students had that led them to their final decision, like or hate group work!

Edited by Smid1345
  • Like 1

Here is a blog where they also discuss whether group work is good or bad : http://unbalanced-reaction.blogspot.com/2008/09/group-work-good-bad-or-just-ugly.html

I kind of liked it as you can see some of the experiences students had that led them to their final decision, like or hate group work!

Nice liked that blog, but I really enjoy group work :)

I prefer working individually, but I don't necessarily hate group work.

With group work, there are so many decisions to be made and so many people to run them through. All teammates must be in agreement and compromises must be made, sometimes making the group happy can be more important than what is best content-wise for the task. Also it is heavily dependent on if the teacher is completely oblivious of who did what and just analyzes the end product, as well as if it's a team mark or an individual performance mark. There are also so many problems that can arise.

The enjoyment of group work, as aforesaid in this thread, is dependent on the teammates you receive. If they are chosen randomly, sometimes one team can have a huge advantage because they all have a strong desire to execute a high leveled performance. If the teacher chooses the groups, sometimes they put strong and weak students together which obviously adds stress and a higher expectation for the stronger students to pull the extra slack.

Honestly, the only pros I can really think of with group work is that the work is split, more heads are there to contribute and think of ideas, assistance can be offered if you don't know how to do something, etc. But the cons outweigh that and actually neutralize most of the pros. The work is split, but not always evenly. As Ruan originally said, sometimes you become the person who pieces the puzzle together which you probably could have done individually yourself. Ideas can easily clash. Sometimes your team members are no help.

All in all, from personal experience, group work is more enjoyable when the stakes are lower.

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes, I find that working in a group is good because other people have different ideas and maybe reaching a compromise would be the best possible solution. However, sometimes I prefer to work by myself because I can avoid disagreements and stuff like that. Also, I tend to find that not all people in a group share the same level of motivation so this kind of makes the process even more difficult. I really don't like having to pry information out of someone. However, it still has many other positive points which I'm sure have been mentioned before.