Works in Translation Essay A1: New 2013 Syllabus

Hey,

I'm about to start my Works in Translation essay, which is worth 25%!!

Since I'm following the new English A1 Syllabus, there are some changes to the essay from previous years, i.e. it doesn't have to be a comparative essay anymore.

I'm thinking of doing me essay on We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Do you guys have any tips for the new task, and sample Essays etc?

pravzcool : )

• 3 months later...

Look at the criteria carefully. Pay attention to the word limit and don't forget to include language devices while still making appropriate cultural points.

Here's to get the top marks:

Criterion A: Fulfilling the requirements of the reflective statement- Reflection on the interactive oral shows development of the student’s understanding of cultural and contextual elements.

Criterion B: Knowledge and understanding- The essay shows detailed knowledge and understanding of, and perceptive insight into, the work used for the assignment.

Criterion C: Appreciation of the writer’s choices- There is excellent appreciation of the ways in which language, structure, technique and style shape meaning.

Criterion D: Organization and development- Ideas are persuasively organized and developed, with effectively integrated examples from the works used.

Criterion E: Language- Language is very clear, effective, carefully chosen and precise, with a high degree of accuracy in grammar, vocabulary and sentence construction; register and style are effective and appropriate to the task.