Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crystal-star

How many marks lost for saying wrong scene in IOC?

Hey guys. So I'm worried because I just did my IOC on Macbeth, Act 4 Scene 1 and I said that it was Act 4 Scene 3 because I had a sudden mind-blank. I don't know if the examiners noticed though.

But I'm just wondering how many marks I would have lost by saying that.

I think my analysis of the passage was good and I did place it into the context of the play - I talked about previous scenes, how this scene foreshadows what is to come, etc.

But I'm just really worried. I did a practice oral last year with the same examiners, and I got 24/30 which was a 7 apparently. I think the level of analysis I did this time was a little bit better, but because I stated the wrong scene... would that automatically mean I wouldn't get a 7?

No, at least I wouldn't think so. Something like that is so small, and the examiners know that you're under pressure. As long as your analysis was good then you're still in the running for a 7, saying the wrong scene would not automatically make a 7 impossible. Don't stress. :)

I did the exact same thing, but with the poem I got, I should have said it was number 6 and I said it was number 4 (it was a whole series and the poet numbered them), and I still got something around 27-28 points, so I wouldn't worry that much. :) And it was marked (at school, that is) by a very experienced Polish A teacher. :)

If it was egregious enough to be noticeable, you'd probably lose one mark under criterion A, maybe 2 max if it was a really critical mistake; however that by no means stops you from getting a 7. In any case, if they didn't mention it / look surprised, shouldn't be a problem.