Theatre Arts HL: What The Heck Am I Supposed To Do?

FernTaylor13

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's confused, I too am doing HL. My theatre department is so badly organized, but if you're going into your second year of IB like I am then right now you should be thinking about your Research Investigation, which is a 1,500 word essay about one particular play within a certain style of theatre, focusing on one aspect within that play and what effect it creates. For example, I'm doing absurdist theatre, and the play waiting for Goddot, but I haven't yet decided on an aspect. Last year, one of my friends did Kabuki theatre, and how the masks contribute to the atmosphere and spirituality of the play, (which i can't remember the name of.) In your first year you will do a practice or two for that.

You should also be keeping a weekly journal documenting your activities and progress. Shouldn't be more than a page.

Last year we all partook in the school production, and we all had a role (I was the director) And we will be presenting all of our work at the end of the year in a portfolio, which your teacher should have told you about. Make sure, for the love of christ, that you document every practical activity you do, because if you don't, you will be screwed in your second year. Just be as actively involved as possible. Last year I directed the school performance and me and my friend are co-leading the schools drama club. This means we have loads to write about in our second year.

IB theatre departments are famous for being disorganized, so when in doubt try and get hold of the syllabus yourself so you can stay on top of things. Good luck!

• 3 months later...