Virginia Tech Shootings, Response to an article against guns

Listen you pacifist, some people in America understand that every know and then, you have to kick some ass! And how can you question the Revolution?! We did it first and we did it right. France didn't get it right till the third time, and Mexico still hasn't figured it out. If we hadn't started the revolution, the world would still be ruled by autocrats. I know I might sound like a bigot, but all this pansy crap of "peace and love" is bull****, and its starting to piss me off. I believe world peace is achievable, but you have to admit that there are some real assholes who need to be educated.

Listen you pacifist, some people in America understand that every know and then, you have to kick some ass! And how can you question the Revolution?! We did it first and we did it right. France didn't get it right till the third time, and Mexico still hasn't figured it out. If we hadn't started the revolution, the world would still be ruled by autocrats. I know I might sound like a bigot, but all this pansy crap of "peace and love" is bull****, and its starting to piss me off. I believe world peace is achievable, but you have to admit that there are some real assholes who need to be educated.

Haha, thanks. *insert sarcasm here* Trust me, sadly I do understand that violence is sometimes the last alternative and must be used. However, I think that in VERY many cases there are very good alternatives to violence, though they may take more effort than people advocating a war would like to put in.

Also, I do admit that there are some people that are intrinsically aggressive and violent that need to be educated. However, I believe that this should be done with patience and reasoning, not bullying violence.

It's high time that people began thinking with their heads rather than their emotions and testosterone.

Haha, thanks. *insert sarcasm here* Trust me, sadly I do understand that violence is sometimes the last alternative and must be used. However, I think that in VERY many cases there are very good alternatives to violence, though they may take more effort than people advocating a war would like to put in.

Also, I do admit that there are some people that are intrinsically aggressive and violent that need to be educated. However, I believe that this should be done with patience and reasoning, not bullying violence.

It's high time that people began thinking with their heads rather than their emotions and testosterone.

sure, but who is going to listen to you. you cannot walk up to a criminal and say "i am trying to make the world a better place. will you start thinking what will be better for mankind and stop being so violent???" see what response you get.

Edited by pianojames111

sure, but who is going to listen to you. you cannot walk up to a criminal and say "i am trying to make the world a better place. will you start thinking what will be better for mankind and stop being so violent???" see what response you get.

Haha, I didn't mean that I would be approaching the situation in such foolish terms. Just because people are against violence does NOT mean that they have zero intelligence. And I think we would agree that the scenario you described would be a very foolish (to the point of stupidity) one to act out.

There is also the problem of a person who is not able to safely protect him or herself. If I had a gun, I would worry about it being used against me, because I know that I am not very strong nor do I have much agility. The moment I pull I will immediately attempt to shoot and kill, because other than that there will be no way I can survive. I don't think that the criminal that tried to mug me deserved to die, but unfortunately I will not have the ability to surely shoot for injury only.

Guns will allow us the ability to defend ourselves, but may also be pulled out at the wrong time. Do you remember the last time you had an argument with someone, and that you were so angry you were about to violently hurt them? Without a gun, a punch in the face is all that it will take to break the tension, but pointing a gun at someone's head because they are just overreacting would be a devastating experience. Not everyone who kills has the full intention of doing so.

Guns install fear. Yes the criminal is afraid of shooting someone because knows he's going to be attacked. However, fear and punishment should not be the way society works. We should not use more weapons to retain the status quo, we should disarm and remove as many weapons as possible. Sooner or later, when everyone has a gun, the criminal will have a more powerful weapon. It's like a cold war.

A good point made is that we shouldn't try to protect against each other, we should try to protect against a government gone wrong. This is why systems should be created. We should not use barbaric methods to retain a democracy or a fair government. We should educate the people, and limit the government by splitting up the power but also retaining some sort of global direction that everyone will follow. The price we pay? Progress will be hindered. If the government has no unity, and everyone has the power to disagree, who's going to lead the country?

It all comes down to trust and mutual benevolence. However, if you find that utopia, be sure to call me. Meanwhile, lets focus on not shoot each other.

Edited by Dooga

Oh, and both of you, please don't mix my words. I am not naive enough to think there will ever be world peace. That idea is stupid, as people constantly find excuses to kill one another. Once again I will simply say that as there is no way to prevent violence all together, I just feel that we might as well try to reduce the number of ways people can easily kill each other. Make it harder to kill people and you will naturally have less people being killed. It won't stop killing, but it will obviously reduce it.

I am through arguing with all of these people. If you want to be pacifists and rely on other people to keep you safe then fine but my views will remain unchanged. You all made very fair arguments that still do not satisfy this gun-loving bigot. Sorry, but to me, you have made no impact with your ideas of "everybody should live". I do not want to extend the lives of the few people that give kind gun owners a bad name. So you may cower in fear during a robbery, but i will reach for my pistol.

Edited by pianojames111

I come back to the age-old argument that the government does not have the right to disarm the people. People have the right to do what they want, as long as they don't hurt others. And while we are looking at stats, lets look at the number of people killed by things other than guns. Cars kill, and in terms of momentum, a car has a hell of a lot more than a bullet. I don't advocate giving guns to everyone, and if you don't like guns, that's your decision, but I don't think you have the right to take my guns away. It is true that you should stay out of dark alleys, but sometimes bad things come to you. **** happens, and I don't want to be unarmed when it does. People can kill you with a lot of things, and I would rather the law-abiding citizen had an unfair advantage. Also, since I know that most of you have never shot a gun before, I don't expect you to be able to understand that guns don't kill people, people kill people. And before you call me a gun-loving, redneck, self-centered idiot, you should know that I only consider the second two as insults. I grew up with guns, and to be honest, rednecks have better manners than most ass-faces I meet in California. I know that you won't understand me, because the media has brainwashed you into thinking that guns are evil. I am done with this topic, and I will not bother to read any petty arguments you brainwashed pacifists have. I leave you with my final word, that all the democracies and revolutionary governments were set up not by pacifists who tried to peacefully set up a new government, but by real ass-kickers who knew that to get anything done, you have to get your hands dirty. It is a sad day when supposed "advocates" of democracy are willing to give up the rights that made their freedom possible.

Edited by Guest

Umm... the federation of Australia, its democracy and its government came about without any gun fire. Have you ever thought that you would have less fear of being on the street unarmed if you knew that other people on the street are likely to be unarmed also. I have grown up in a society where I know that very very few people will have a gun, so I feel safe, and don't feel the need to carry a gun (not that I ever would). Oh btw I have shot a gun before, and my observations were that they are powerful dangerous weapons.

Have you ever thought that you would have less fear of being on the street unarmed if you knew that other people on the street are likely to be unarmed also.

there is no chance walking around without unarmed people around you in compton, or other run-down neighborhood. You may live in some other nicer part of town where people are not pigs or you are unaware of armed people around you.

Edited by pianojames111

No, I actually went to school in an area that has one of the lowest socio-economic demographics(although I don't know how it would measure up to compton) in the country, and because of the strict gun control laws, I could walk around their without fear of being shot.

No, I actually went to school in an area that has one of the lowest socio-economic demographics(although I don't know how it would measure up to compton) in the country, and because of the strict gun control laws, I could walk around their without fear of being shot.

Well, Australians are weird compared to Americans. I met some of them and they were too nice. Maybe you just aren't as stupid as some of the people in California because we get a lot of crazy people that don't necessarily obey the law when it comes to the few gun control laws that are in effect. I hope that is true because I hate to think of any IB student who is misinformed about his surroundings.

Well, Australians are weird compared to Americans. I met some of them and they were too nice. Maybe you just aren't as stupid as some of the people in California because we get a lot of crazy people that don't necessarily obey the law when it comes to the few gun control laws that are in effect. I hope that is true because I hate to think of any IB student who is misinformed about his surroundings.

Haha <_< , Piano, I think the statement could just as easily read "Americans are weird compared to Australians."

I think it is sad that American competition (as well as other factors) have influenced its citizens to the point where they are no longer as "nice" or hospitable as most people of other nations, especially in Europe. Though I don't know how successful an attempt to change gun culture in America would be, I think it's the people that need to change more than the laws.

Haha <_< , Piano, I think the statement could just as easily read "Americans are weird compared to Australians."

I think it is sad that American competition (as well as other factors) have influenced its citizens to the point where they are no longer as "nice" or hospitable as most people of other nations, especially in Europe. Though I don't know how successful an attempt to change gun culture in America would be, I think it's the people that need to change more than the laws.

I agree. it is sad, and as much as i want peace, it just won't happen. I now know that due to personal experience. there is so much hate in america and there is nothing i can do to change stupidity. another thing we agree on mandiloquence.

I agree. it is sad, and as much as i want peace, it just won't happen. I now know that due to personal experience. there is so much hate in america and there is nothing i can do to change stupidity. another thing we agree on mandiloquence.

I know, as Einstein said "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former".

However, I do think that over time the conditions could be improved, though it may take more effort than it's worth...=/