ToK Presentation help

Afterglow

I'm so frustrated. Me and my friend's ToK Presentation deadline has been set (middle of october) and we have been pondering, thinking, contemplate and debated over what title to talk about and as you can probably tell my this thread, we need help with coming up with something.

Since we're two, our presentation has to be between 20-25 minutes and I know that the presentation can be about anything as long as it is related to tok but we would like to make it very related, i.e have a tok word in the title.

We were thinking of doing something with history because it has a lot of examples to use but we're not sure. We rather not do something more abstract however. For instance, one of our practise titles were "Can the Four Ways of Knowing Determine Historical Causation As Justified True Belief?' and we loved our title because there was a lot to discuss and it wasn't too hard to keep the structure within the criteras and we'd love to have something like that, only different of course. We usually have it hard to stay with one fixed title (the title above was changed four times throughout the whole writing/discussion process :lol: ).

So if anyone has any advice, suggestions or ideas, please do share!

Well for my Practise Presentation which I did quite well on my group had a title something on the line of "To what extent does advertising effect our perception and should we worried about its consequences for the future?"

We concentrated on smoking and alcohol as two examples of advertising and then went from there. We did well because we were really interested in the topic, dont go for something just because you think you can get nice examples out of it, you really need to be interested in the topic. After all one of the criterion is to do with personal response.

I would say keep it as simple as possible with a few examples. To get the highest marks you need to use some examples but dont go over the top. You need to really concentrate on the TOK behind the question not just the examples you've chosen. Go beyond your title. e.g. in the title above, you could talk about perception as a whole and what effects it, how perception is altered through senses etc....

Just dont use too many examples! go into depth in say two, one each if theres two of you. Perhaps one of you could come from one side of the arguement and then other the other arguement, then come to a conclusion for the last 3-5 mins. Dont forget to talk about the way of knowing in general (obviously still relating to your topic) also to score well.

Your title sounds to me too broad....4 ways of knowing in 20 mins will be tough going. I would stick to less maybe even one and perhaps interlink it with the other 3 in the presentation briefly for a larger perspective. I brought language into the equation with perception in advertising.

History is a good choice to go for but just make sure your topic isnt too huge. The presentation will last way longer than 20 mins otherwise...Emotion is a really good way of knowing to go for in history since people get so passionate about topics! this could be linked to perception through their emotions.

Anyway just some suggestions, most importantly just do a presentation on what you really are passionate about, i'd hate it if i had to do my presentation on Geography............. :lol:

Your title sounds to me too broad....4 ways of knowing in 20 mins will be tough going. I would stick to less maybe even one and perhaps interlink it with the other 3 in the presentation briefly for a larger perspective. I brought language into the equation with perception in advertising.

History is a good choice to go for but just make sure your topic isnt too huge. The presentation will last way longer than 20 mins otherwise...Emotion is a really good way of knowing to go for in history since people get so passionate about topics! this could be linked to perception through their emotions.

Anyway just some suggestions, most importantly just do a presentation on what you really are passionate about, i'd hate it if i had to do my presentation on Geography............. :lol:

Actually, we had trouble with making the time and were 5 minutes below. However, our ToK teacher gave us so many compliments about it and said it was almost an A presentation and even made the other students take notes from it :D

I know what you mean with not doing it in subjects you don't like. Me and my friend never liked history and dont study it but we found it to be very interesting and more easy to discuss in ToK for some odd reason. Maybe it's because there are so many examples you can gain heh. I'm not so found of ethics in ToK because it's so hard.

What do you guys think of the title 'Does the ways of knowing differ when it comes to culture?'?

Edited by Afterglow

it's a bit too broad. I mean you saying "does AOKs differ when it comes to culture" just makes me think "differ in what way" maybe if you change the way you wrote that like saying "to what extent does the context of AOKs differ, when subject to people with different paradigms" paradigm is shaped by culture, so by stating that you can discuss culture. Though you will have to specifically mention which AOKs you wish to discuss (at least 2 of them) and what not... I like it :D actually this title is kinda what we were trying to discuss in the TOK conference in Istanbul which was called "knowledge and culture" so yea there's a lot of stuff to talk about :lol:

I got 20/20 for my TOK presentation and the title was "Does Takashi Murakami's work have any worth?", I wrote most of it in a delirious euphoric state so I really can't tell you how to do it. My friend who also got 20/20 on the presentation did hers on the Censorship Laws for the national broadcaster in Australia, forbidding bias. So there are a couple of titles for to give you maybe more ideas.

it's a bit too broad. I mean you saying "does AOKs differ when it comes to culture" just makes me think "differ in what way" maybe if you change the way you wrote that like saying "to what extent does the context of AOKs differ, when subject to people with different paradigms" paradigm is shaped by culture, so by stating that you can discuss culture. Though you will have to specifically mention which AOKs you wish to discuss (at least 2 of them) and what not... I like it :P actually this title is kinda what we were trying to discuss in the TOK conference in Istanbul which was called "knowledge and culture" so yea there's a lot of stuff to talk about :P

I was a bit worried that it was too broad but the thing is that me and my friend have a problem with making the 20 minutes limit. Last time, we had it for 15 minutes and it has to be 20 minutes or above as you know, when you are doing it two. I think we wrote a 7 page essay last time but still ended up talking to fast and all that jazz because of being nervous :P

As for paradigms, erm...I'd rather not because I still don't understand the concept of that and wouldn't want to do a presentation on something I don't fully understand. I am however trying to think of other parts of culture hm........tricky.

oka paradgim is the filter of which you observe the world in. For example if you look at a picture and I look a picture, we'll notice that we won't concentrate on the same things but notice different things for example:

w-bedouin-vendor.jpg

int his picture- through your paradigm- you may see an angry woman sitting in the desert :punish:

from my paradigm (someone who knows a bit about the bedouin arts) I see the geometrical patterns and the use of unconventional colours in that cloth she has on her face... (usually they use yellow, red, blue, and white)

there was this other photo my teacher gave us but I can't find it :( it was full of objects, and she asked each one to tell her what they found. It was full of carpets and globes and what not, and really some of the objects I didn't notice on there :P so yea..

and about the 20 minutes, I'd suggest taking something you can squeeze in your hand while making the presentation. It'll be a way of reminding you to slow down and helps ease the nervousness "yes:

does anyone have the criteria for the TOK Presentations?

TOK syllabus should have it. General IB Discussion - Syllabi thread

As for the concept of paradigm: think of it like a window that you see through. Your paradigm is a window that you see through and what you see is restricted by the frames of that window and you can't see beyond it. We all see things through paradigms and very rarely do we see the whole picture. There are other explanations or interpretations beyond your paradigm but you don't see it because you're restricted to the paradigm either by perception, prejudice or other things.

• 2 weeks later...

it doesn't really matter actually... I did ti with partners because my partner didn't know anything about TOK and she wanted to get the grade I got :D I didn't mind because I needed the 10 extra minutes lol and I didn't want it to be just monologues (since i did plays for the presentation).

it's fine if you do it on your own! your teacher won't care really :D as long as what you're saying fits the criteria

Well, there were 5 diploma people in my class and my teacher tentatively suggested that we all worked together on one big presentation. The answer was a big no. We all wanted to do it individually and I think it was all good in the end considering we all wanted to do different topics. Our diploma group was a bunch of people too different to do anything together successfully. :D

But you know, it depends on you. If you want to share the work and have someone who would work with you well, then by all means do it with a partner. But it would suck if you ended up doing all the work...

I'm still lost a bit but thank you all for the help. Me and my friend really want to do our presentation on cultural differences in the ways of knowing (ie language, perception, emotions and reason) but we cannot figure out a real-life situation.

Also, what is the difference between the topic question and the knowledge issue? I knew what problem of knowledge was but now when the presentations has started, I have gone utterly confused and lost.

• 1 year later...