Call me a nerd... What kind of computer do you know and trust?

pianojames111

I know more and more people converting to Mac at University.. But I am going to stick with a PC that I can customize and build myself. And then install a heavily tweaked version of Windows on it. Also running Ubuntu at the moment.

I know more and more people converting to Mac at University.. But I am going to stick with a PC that I can customize and build myself. And then install a heavily tweaked version of Windows on it. Also running Ubuntu at the moment.

Don't you need a laptop, or do you have a laptop that you've built yourself? <_<

I have a MacBook Pro which I love and also a PC I built myself when I still played computer games so it has a quadcore Intel and Windows XP

I would never buy dell!!!!!......!!!!!!

The reason is that their computers are hardly customizable. The Demension E310 I bought a years ago taught me this lesson. That computer doesn't even have a PCI Express x16 slot.

Currently, I'm running on Acer Aspire M1610. I bought it during thanksgiving for like 200 bucks and I love it. In terms of OS, I am dual booting Vista Ultimate and Ubuntu 7.10. My ubuntu experience hasn't been so great as I'm having trouble getting internet working on Ubuntu desktop. Vista is great! so people need to stop bashing it.

Apple's MacBook or MacBook Pro. iv had them both and you can really see the difference (appearance [duhhh...lol], speed, more features, no weird messages that come up and you dont know what to do with them "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.dll has been damaged : FATAL ERROR (00000x08879k)"

ahhh, the "genius-ness" of a Mac

thats my thoughts, computerwise

Edited by ibkid

Right now I have Dell thats running Vista. It was running a Ubuntu and i FREAKING LOVED IT. But....the BIOS files in my 1501 are s*** and the 7.10 Kernel wasnt fully compatible. Im saving up right now for the newest MacBook Pro with 4 GBs of RAM because Im learning to become a DJ and I need that. And...Leopard=the god of all OS.

Haha, cute comic. However, that sort of stereotypes ubuntu users as developers, since I thought only developers used bugzilla... average consumers like us don't really understand or care to submit software bugs (unless you count the people who click "send to microsoft" when they get an error...)

I tried Ubuntu, but I'm totally lost with command line installation. I tried to install a Quicksilver equivalent for Ubuntu, but I ended up not being able to find the terminal to type a command line... by the time I did, I forgot what command line to type. It was very difficult for a noob like me. Unfortunately, the grub loader is also not one of my preferences, so it took a while for me to uninstall ubuntu fully. I had to use a Windows XP recovery console (in Chinese because I don't have an english disk, even though I use an English OS). Linux is for the smart people that are willing to learn a new language in order to use it (prove me wrong, but Ubuntu feels very disconnected with me).

Many companies need to have a dedicated team at doing what Apple is doing best: seducing users. Sure, monopolies don't need to worry about anything. However, a lot of companies need very attractive (literally) computers for users to feel "loving". How many times do you hear people say "I love my Mac" as opposed to "I love my Dell Laptop". Simply put, Dell laptops look as ugly as all the rest of the laptops that run Windows, which also happens to not look very pretty.

The disturbing part is, most people only know the very simple (and outdated) arguments of operating system wars. People who don't like Macs have very simple reasons: "It's for gay people" "It has only 1 mouse button" "It can't play games" "There are no software".

Likewise, people who hate Windows are also stuck with those very simplistic and outdated arguments such as "It crashes all the time" "You get lots of blue screens" "There are viruses and spyware" "You get obscure errors like something.dll" and "I love my Mac".

These flawed arguments are probably from 2004. Very rarely do you have a person who happens to use both operating systems to constructively give their opinions on the computers. Many people have very outdated memories of the last time they used a Windows or Mac OS computer, and these do not reflect technology - something that can only be understood when one follows it weekly, daily, or even hourly.

Been on Microsoft all my life... But I think I think my next computer will definitely be a Mac.

Losing information during the IB twice in one year is not fun... Esepcially if you can't be bothered enough to back-up your files, something which is extremely advisable to do...

Likewise, people who hate Windows are also stuck with those very simplistic and outdated arguments such as "It crashes all the time" "You get lots of blue screens" "There are viruses and spyware" "You get obscure errors like something.dll" and "I love my Mac".

These flawed arguments are probably from 2004. Very rarely do you have a person who happens to use both operating systems to constructively give their opinions on the computers. Many people have very outdated memories of the last time they used a Windows or Mac OS computer, and these do not reflect technology - something that can only be understood when one follows it weekly, daily, or even hourly.

No. Im on Vista and in one boot up I Blue Screened and then I had another type of crash and thank god Vista can auto-recover. And this was in a...oh....5 minute frame.

Hmm...so, for someone considering buying a laptop would you recommend a Mac or a Windows? I'm leaning towards Windows because I'm worried that the Macs won't be as compatible with the system at university (e.g. hooking the Mac to a SMART board, need a special cable! My friend encountered that problem when IT didn't have a cable to fit with his Mac because he got the latest model...).

Hmm...so, for someone considering buying a laptop would you recommend a Mac or a Windows? I'm leaning towards Windows because I'm worried that the Macs won't be as compatible with the system at university (e.g. hooking the Mac to a SMART board, need a special cable! My friend encountered that problem when IT didn't have a cable to fit with his Mac because he got the latest model...).

It's only a 30 dollar investment for a cable that you can use for life... If you're going to be spending on an exorbitantly priced mac anyway, then I guess just a bit more won't hurt :)

ive seen macs... i thought they were in general a little bit harder to use... i mean where is the minimize buttion and exit button ?!?! lol... i never used macs in my life and dont think i will... microsoft is serving my needs fully..