Do you study only IB or you combine it with other programme?

eguerr

Hello everybody

At my state school we combine the IB subjects with the ones we need to get our "Bachillerato" diploma and being able to pass the national exams next June.

So we take Spanish History, History of Philosophy, Technical Drawing II and we do extra things in Spanish A HL, like grammar, Spanish literature history and other boring stuff.

Apart from that, the syllabus in some subjects is way different. For example, Group IV subjects are more oriented to numeric problems rather than only explaining. For example, without a calculator in a Physics or Chemistry exam you're lost, while I've done IB practice tests without touching my calc.

So, do you only take IB lessons or are you taking additional lessons? I've thought that if we only had the 6 IB subjects it would be much easier...

Definitely if you only had the 6 IB subjects it would be much easier. I have a friend who did IGCSE, A-Levels, and the IB. I am doing the IB, the American Diploma, and another program offered by the Ministry of Education in my country. It's more work, but it's not bad.

Edited by r.h.a

At my school, I have to work towards the IB Diploma and the general provincial diploma. So I have to write double the diploma exams. We have the same classes for the subjects though. So, for example, I have Physics. In Physics, we learn the general curriculum and the extra IB stuff. Most teachers, usually, star/highlight the IB stuff. So when I get an assignment or a test in class, it goes towards my general mark. And when I get an IB assignment or essay, it goes towards my IB mark. For example, a general lab write-up vs. an IB lab write-up. Some of the stuff is fairly different, but I'm learning to get used to it. It's decent right now, but it's going to be tough during exam time. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Norway, IB is a separate education program, meaning that you either choose IB or the national educational methods.

Since only I and someone else in my class chose French B, though, our school has combined French B with the French the national programs have.

But other than that, it's a completely separate education.