Extended Essay: English A1

candy6

Any advice on how I should choose book(s) for my EE on english A1?

I understand how there is a limitless amount of choices I have, but that's the problem. There's so many, I just can't pick, and especially because I haven't even read that many books. I even looked through the IB Prescribed Book List, and there are just too many to search up the summaries/themes about.

Yeah, so I'm kinda in a dilemma right now. Any advice on popular (but not too over done) novels that I could write my extended essay on? (and I think would rather prefer to do a comparison, simply because there will be more to write about, but by all means any suggestions will help)

Thanks!

Nobody here knows what kind of books you would enjoy. The point of writing an English EE is that you do it on a book/s that you personally enjoyed reading and would love to explore in greater depth. So I may have loved Shakespearean plays in general, but someone else prefers George Orwell's short stories, and someone else might be in love with Jane Austen literature, or Virginia Woolf maybe.

It comes down to your tastes and preferences.

Edited by Arrowhead

Oh, yeah that's true, but overlooking my interests, do you know which novels would be great to write the extended essay on? (So just based on the books themselves)

You just asked us to pick, out of millions of books, which ones would be good to write your essay on? Honestly, I couldn't tell you. Again, it has to do with your interests and I strongly STRONGLY recommend you do your essay on a book you actually like instead of trying to be literary and writing 4000 words on some Shakespearean monstrosity you don't even like. Besides, chances are that if we name books that are good to write your essay on, they've likely been done a million times. For instance a lot of IB students write their essays on Pride and Prejudice. A wonderful book and a wonderful essay most likely, but you'd be hard pressed to be able to say anything original. If your essay isn't original at all, you most likely won't score very well. The examiner will also probably take one look at your essay and go 'Oh no, another Pride and Prejudice essay. Shoot me now.'

There are so many variables to consider when picking out a book for your essay that we couldn't possibly do it for you. I can give you a few words of advice though; stay away from 'non-literary' books like Harry Potter (which has been done millions of times anyway) or any teenage romance novels or just popular modern novels in general. The IB looks down on those books a bit. But pick something that YOU enjoy. We can't pick for you. Remember, you have to write 4000 words on this book so choose something you won't want to smack yourself with over the head when you're done.

• Like 2